Steve Thompson

Default Kiwi...

I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
more time. Is it worth the effort?

Steve

Stephen SG

Yes chopped and pealed

Stephen SG

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
| I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
| I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
| more time. Is it worth the effort?
|
| Steve

Stephen SG

Yes chopped and pealed

Stephen SG

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
| I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
| I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
| more time. Is it worth the effort?
|
| Steve

Julie

If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
scoop out the inside with a spoon...

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message >...
> I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
> I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
> more time. Is it worth the effort?
>
> Steve

Julie

If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
scoop out the inside with a spoon...

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message >...
> I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
> I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
> more time. Is it worth the effort?
>
> Steve

> Yes chopped and pealed

I have made kiwi a couple of times, and never peeled them - what a
pain! Just halve or quarter them and ferment the fruit, then press out
when complete. It makes a very nice, refreshing, crisp white wine. I
prefer it off-dry.

> Yes chopped and pealed

I have made kiwi a couple of times, and never peeled them - what a
pain! Just halve or quarter them and ferment the fruit, then press out
when complete. It makes a very nice, refreshing, crisp white wine. I
prefer it off-dry.
Jack Keller

> If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
> scoop out the inside with a spoon...

If you do this (or peel them), add grape tannin to your must. The
peelings are where the tannin is, but it can be too much for a white
wine. Personally, I peel them and add tannin, 1/8 teaspoon per
gallon.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Tom

Jack,

Would this hold true for "hardy kiwi"? Skin is much more like a grape and
not furry at all. They grow well here in the Pacific NW. I have 3 plants
now, when mature they should provide about 100lbs of fruit per plant. My
thought would be to treat like white grapes.

Tom G
"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
m...
> > If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
> > scoop out the inside with a spoon...

> If you do this (or peel them), add grape tannin to your must. The
> peelings are where the tannin is, but it can be too much for a white
> wine. Personally, I peel them and add tannin, 1/8 teaspoon per
> gallon.
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Tom

Jack,

Would this hold true for "hardy kiwi"? Skin is much more like a grape and
not furry at all. They grow well here in the Pacific NW. I have 3 plants
now, when mature they should provide about 100lbs of fruit per plant. My
thought would be to treat like white grapes.

Tom G
"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
m...
> > If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
> > scoop out the inside with a spoon...

> If you do this (or peel them), add grape tannin to your must. The
> peelings are where the tannin is, but it can be too much for a white
> wine. Personally, I peel them and add tannin, 1/8 teaspoon per
> gallon.
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

I've eaten them (skin and all), but not made wine with them yet.
You'll have to try it and see, but my guess would be you could just
chop them up whole.

Kiwi liqueur jjosee General 0 25-01-2011 06:27 PM
Kiwi El Niño-Naveb General Cooking 0 31-12-2008 02:22 PM
Kiwi berries Julie Bove Diabetic 3 05-11-2008 06:14 AM
How To Prepare A Kiwi Yeff General Cooking 5 16-01-2006 07:40 PM
Kiwi Pie? Dee Randall General Cooking 3 06-01-2006 03:06 AM