FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Kiwi... (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/30186-kiwi.html)

Steve Thompson 04-08-2004 11:12 AM

Kiwi...

I plan on making a Kiwi/Peach wine. Do the Kiwi's need to be peeled first?
I'm thinking of cutting them in 1/2 and freezing before use, peeling takes
more time. Is it worth the effort?

Steve

Stephen SG 04-08-2004 11:40 AM

Kiwi...

Yes chopped and pealed

Stephen SG

Stephen SG 04-08-2004 11:40 AM

Kiwi...

Julie 04-08-2004 06:27 PM

Kiwi...

If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
scoop out the inside with a spoon...

Julie 04-08-2004 06:27 PM

Kiwi...

[email protected] 04-08-2004 08:57 PM

Kiwi...

> Yes chopped and pealed

I have made kiwi a couple of times, and never peeled them - what a
pain! Just halve or quarter them and ferment the fruit, then press out
when complete. It makes a very nice, refreshing, crisp white wine. I
prefer it off-dry.

[email protected] 04-08-2004 08:57 PM

Kiwi...

Jack Keller 08-08-2004 05:40 AM

Kiwi...

> If you don't like peeling them, you can also cut them in half and
> scoop out the inside with a spoon...

If you do this (or peel them), add grape tannin to your must. The
peelings are where the tannin is, but it can be too much for a white
wine. Personally, I peel them and add tannin, 1/8 teaspoon per
gallon.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Tom 09-08-2004 07:37 PM

Kiwi...

Jack,

Would this hold true for "hardy kiwi"? Skin is much more like a grape and
not furry at all. They grow well here in the Pacific NW. I have 3 plants
now, when mature they should provide about 100lbs of fruit per plant. My
thought would be to treat like white grapes.

Tom G
m...

Tom 09-08-2004 07:37 PM

Kiwi...

Jack Keller 10-08-2004 06:42 PM

Kiwi...

I've eaten them (skin and all), but not made wine with them yet.
You'll have to try it and see, but my guess would be you could just
chop them up whole.