Jack

Default Equipment setup question

Do most folks have their primary fermenter and carbouys set-up for
simple siphoning? In other words, do folks keep "containers" elevated
so that the next "container" is lower than the first-- all the way to
the final "container" which would still need some elevation to siphon
for bottling?

I'm a little worried about moving full containers around. I ordered a
carbouy handle with my kit, but I'm not even sure if this handle is to
be used with a full carbouy. It also seems that lifting and shifting
these containers would shake the must, potentially adding oxygen.
Lastly, a full, 6 gallon carbouy has to be pretty heavy. I would
think that lifting and moving could result in a broken carbouy and 6
gallons of wine on the floor or a herniated disk and some pretty steep
medical bills.

Any suggestions?
Tom S

"Jack" > wrote in message
om...
> Do most folks have their primary fermenter and carbouys set-up for
> simple siphoning? In other words, do folks keep "containers" elevated
> so that the next "container" is lower than the first-- all the way to
> the final "container" which would still need some elevation to siphon
> for bottling?

That would be nice, but it isn't too practical unless you have a _lot_ of
space.

> I'm a little worried about moving full containers around. I ordered a
> carbouy handle with my kit, but I'm not even sure if this handle is to
> be used with a full carbouy. It also seems that lifting and shifting
> these containers would shake the must, potentially adding oxygen.

I've never used a carboy handle. I just pick them up as carefully and
gently as possible. Adding oxygen isn't the problem; kicking up the lees
is.

> Lastly, a full, 6 gallon carbouy has to be pretty heavy.

Not as heavy as a 15 gallon stainless keg or an empty 60 gallon barrel!
I've moved those by myself, but it's a struggle. Good idea to get someone
to help you with the heavy stuff. BTW, those plastic carriers for carboys
have handles. That makes them a lot safer and easier to move around.

Tom S

Charles H

Jack wrote:

> I'm a little worried about moving full containers around.

If you have any dairy crates, I find they hold 23 litres carboys and
make them much easier to move as well.

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Tom S

"Jack" > wrote in message
om...
> > If you have any dairy crates, I find they hold 23 litres carboys and
> > make them much easier to move as well.

> Do you just turn upside down, set the carbouy on top, then slide along the

floor?

You _are_ joking - right?

Just in case you aren't, the idea is to put the carboy _inside_ the crate.
The crates have handles and support the carboy better and more safely than
using those carboy handles. You still have to pick it up to set it on a
bench for siphoning.

Tom S

Tom S

"Jack" > wrote in message
om...
> How much head do you need to get a decent siphon during
> racking/bottling?

A few feet is enough.

> Also, do
> folks ever use pumps? I have an extra external pump lying around that
> could pump without any elevation. Of course this pump moves about 500
> gph, which might be a little fast. I could elevate the pump
> increasing the head, which would slow the flowrate. Any thoughts?

I hope that pump hasn't been used in an aquarium. I hate to think what
kinds of residue it contains. >8^P

As for elevating the head to slow the flow rate, that won't work. It'll
just make the pump harder to prime.

You could buy a small, flexible impeller plastic pump. They aren't terribly
expensive. They are self priming, but don't run one dry for long.

Tom S

Brian Lundeen

"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...

> Just in case you aren't, the idea is to put the carboy _inside_ the crate.

Oh my God, that's on a par with the "clarification" I remember from years
ago...

You did put liquid in the airlock, right?

Brian

Charles H

Jack wrote:

> > If you have any dairy crates, I find they hold 23 litres carboys and
> > make them much easier to move as well.

> Do you just turn upside down, set the carbouy on top, then slide along the floor?

If doing this, I suggest using a stack of three or four, so the carboy
is at a workable height. Also, put a towel under the stack so you can
juts pull the towel to move the stack of crates around

please read Tom's post as well...

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Jack

> You _are_ joking - right?
>
> Just in case you aren't, the idea is to put the carboy _inside_ the crate.
> The crates have handles and support the carboy better and more safely than
> using those carboy handles. You still have to pick it up to set it on a
> bench for siphoning.
>
> Tom S

Uh, actually, I wasn't joking. However, your idea makes good sense.
I was just trying to come up with a way that full carbouys/buckets
would not have to be moved.
Jack

> I hope that pump hasn't been used in an aquarium. I hate to think what
> kinds of residue it contains. >8^P
>
> As for elevating the head to slow the flow rate, that won't work. It'll
> just make the pump harder to prime.
>
> You could buy a small, flexible impeller plastic pump. They aren't terribly
> expensive. They are self priming, but don't run one dry for long.
>
> Tom S

The pump has been used in an aquarium. However, it is an inline pump
so there are only certain parts that would come in contact with the
wine. These could be soaked first in vinegar (removes calcium based
deposits) and then in bleach to kill all germs and such. You are
correct. Raising the pump will not slow the flowrate or increase the
head. I meant to say, "raise the output tubing," which would increase
the head and decrease the flow rate. Even better is just using the
regulator that comes as an attachment to the pump. The only downside
is that I don't know if the wine might be harmed under this much
pressure.

Admittedly, a new pump made for this sort of thing would make more
sense.

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Jack" > wrote in message
> om...
> > How much head do you need to get a decent siphon during
> > racking/bottling?

> A few feet is enough.
>
> > Also, do
> > folks ever use pumps? I have an extra external pump lying around that
> > could pump without any elevation. Of course this pump moves about 500
> > gph, which might be a little fast. I could elevate the pump
> > increasing the head, which would slow the flowrate. Any thoughts?

Charles H

Dave Allyn wrote:

> I would avoid vinegar unless you want to turn your wine to vinegar as
> well.

Most white vinegar is distilled acetic acid, and contains no vinegar
bacteria... a thorough rinsing should remove all traces of the acetic
acid...
--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Jack

Charles H > wrote in message >...
> Dave Allyn wrote:
>
> > I would avoid vinegar unless you want to turn your wine to vinegar as
> > well.

> Most white vinegar is distilled acetic acid, and contains no vinegar
> bacteria... a thorough rinsing should remove all traces of the acetic
> acid...

Yes, I should have identified white vinegar. I always use white
vinegar to clean pump impellers and anything that accumulates calcium
deposits.
Joe Sallustio

>... Try filling a carboy with water and carefully see
> if you can pick it up 18 or 24 inches or however tall a carboy is.
> Use you knees and arms, and not your back.

Agreed. I have two herniated disks in my lower back and lift 7 gallon
carboys when I use them; as long as you us your legs that seems to be
a pretty safe bet.

There are pros and cons to everything, pumps usually treat the wine
more violently than a siphon would be, but are a lot easier on the
back...
Regards,
Joe
Glen Duff

Like everyone else I just lug the carboys around, most of mine are
pretty large and heavy when full (27 liter). However, I make my wine in
the basement and have the best part of a large room exclusively for
winemaking and storage and in moving my two barrels, around 60 liters, I
have them on a small stand I made complete with casters. For raising
them I use a pulley system suspended from a joist on the ceiling of the
basement when I wish to put them up on the bench. This works really
well for me.

Glen Duff