Tom S

Default Equipment setup question

"Jack" > wrote in message
om...
> How much head do you need to get a decent siphon during
> racking/bottling?

A few feet is enough.

> Also, do
> folks ever use pumps? I have an extra external pump lying around that
> could pump without any elevation. Of course this pump moves about 500
> gph, which might be a little fast. I could elevate the pump
> increasing the head, which would slow the flowrate. Any thoughts?

I hope that pump hasn't been used in an aquarium. I hate to think what
kinds of residue it contains. >8^P

As for elevating the head to slow the flow rate, that won't work. It'll
just make the pump harder to prime.

You could buy a small, flexible impeller plastic pump. They aren't terribly
expensive. They are self priming, but don't run one dry for long.

Tom S