Tom S

Default Equipment setup question

"Jack" > wrote in message
om...
> Do most folks have their primary fermenter and carbouys set-up for
> simple siphoning? In other words, do folks keep "containers" elevated
> so that the next "container" is lower than the first-- all the way to
> the final "container" which would still need some elevation to siphon
> for bottling?

That would be nice, but it isn't too practical unless you have a _lot_ of
space.

> I'm a little worried about moving full containers around. I ordered a
> carbouy handle with my kit, but I'm not even sure if this handle is to
> be used with a full carbouy. It also seems that lifting and shifting
> these containers would shake the must, potentially adding oxygen.

I've never used a carboy handle. I just pick them up as carefully and
gently as possible. Adding oxygen isn't the problem; kicking up the lees
is.

> Lastly, a full, 6 gallon carbouy has to be pretty heavy.

Not as heavy as a 15 gallon stainless keg or an empty 60 gallon barrel!
I've moved those by myself, but it's a struggle. Good idea to get someone
to help you with the heavy stuff. BTW, those plastic carriers for carboys
have handles. That makes them a lot safer and easier to move around.

Tom S