Mark Lipton

Default Wine pairing w/ chicken liver paté?

Hi all,
We just made a chicken liver paté last night that includes some
green peppercorns. Looking through past posts here, I find few
positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just tells us
that a Mosel Rieseling matched with it was *awful*). So, how about
it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?

TIA!
Mark Lipton

p.s. Ian, IIRC, we just carried our Champagne on to the paté at La
Souvigne, but as soup was the next course, I don't know that that was
more than just a convenience for you...

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark Lipton,

le/on Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:24:18 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Hi all,
> Looking through past posts here, I find few positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just tells us
>that a Mosel Riesling matched with it was *awful*).

Yup, I remember it well. The pate made the otherwise sublime Bernkasteler
Doktor taste extremely odd.

> So, how about it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?

Hmm. I'd be cautious of anything "flowery". I've often served a bordeaux
style white (SB/Semillion/muscadelle) and found it acceptable without being
exciting. Apples wont go so forget the Chenin Loire. I can't really see
Burgundy style, so I'd not look to Chardonnay. I think on balance I'd look
to Sancerre style perhaps, with plenty of ripeness.

>p.s. Ian, IIRC, we just carried our Champagne on to the paté at La
>Souvigne, but as soup was the next course, I don't know that that was
>more than just a convenience for you...

Are you sure? The meal was broad bean soup, paté maison, duck legs en
salmis, cheese and strawberries according to my records. I don't think I'll
have had the imagination to serve the pate before the soup! I will have
"skipped over" the soup, not serving any wine with it, and switching to red
wine with the duck legs.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
dick

How about a late harvest Chardonnay...like Raymonds Elloquence.

It might work...

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> We just made a chicken liver paté last night that includes some
> green peppercorns. Looking through past posts here, I find few
> positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just tells us
> that a Mosel Rieseling matched with it was *awful*). So, how about
> it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?
>
> TIA!
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. Ian, IIRC, we just carried our Champagne on to the paté at La
> Souvigne, but as soup was the next course, I don't know that that was
> more than just a convenience for you...

Aria

Ummm....what's your recipe for the pate???

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> We just made a chicken liver paté last night that includes some
> green peppercorns. Looking through past posts here, I find few
> positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just tells us
> that a Mosel Rieseling matched with it was *awful*). So, how about
> it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?
>
> TIA!
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. Ian, IIRC, we just carried our Champagne on to the paté at La
> Souvigne, but as soup was the next course, I don't know that that was
> more than just a convenience for you...

Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> We just made a chicken liver paté last night that includes some
> green peppercorns. Looking through past posts here, I find few
> positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just
> tells us that a Mosel Rieseling matched with it was *awful*).
> So, how about it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?

Peppery Grüner Veltliner - what else?!

M.

Dale Williams

Mark,
Hmm, I'm a big chicken liver fan, but Betsy isn't, so I only have when soloing.
Last time I made a pasta with chicken liver sauce I drank Dolcetto (went well),
and I've had ok (but just ok) results with chicken liver pate in restaurants
with entry level Burgundy. The best combo I've had involving chicken livers
were livers braised with onions in sherry, paired wonderfully with a 1997
Jean-Paul Droin Chablis GC €śVaudesir". I'd have never guessed.

I do know that on a couple of occasions, I've had dishes with chicken livers
that made various wines (both red and white) taste metallic. I have no idea
what causes that.

The green peppercorns made this even more challenging. I think I'd go with a
crisper dry white, nothing too expensive. Agree with Ian that flowery isn't the
thing, so maybe a Quincy, Sancerre, or even a Macon. Maybe a lower-level Gruner
Veltliner?

As to the German Riesling with the pate, thanks Ian for the warning. I think if
I was going to try the match (and I might, unlike you I find off-dry Riesling
very versatile) I'd not go for the something with the slate-y strength of a
Bernkasteler Doktor, going more for a Pfalz kabinett, or if I went Mosel maybe
an Urziger Wurzgarten, with it's red fruit profile rather than an apple/floral
type).

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Dale Williams,

le/on 04 Oct 2003 19:38:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Mark,
>Hmm, I'm a big chicken liver fan,

Yeah, me too.

>Last time I made a pasta with chicken liver sauce I drank Dolcetto (went well),

Yes, I can imagine that. Mind you, such a sauce is pretty wildly different
I guess from my paté.

(Sauté chopped onions & garlic in butter with a faggot of herbs, add tidied
up livers, cook on high heat three mins until coloured on outside, pink
inside. Remove herbs, scrape rest into blender, cool a bit then whizz,
adding remainder of butter (start with half weight of livers, and use 1/4
of that for frying). Season carefully and add a good dollop of brandy. Tip
into dish and allow to set, before covering with clarified butter.)

>with entry level Burgundy. The best combo I've had involving chicken livers
>were livers braised with onions in sherry, paired wonderfully with a 1997
>Jean-Paul Droin Chablis GC €śVaudesir". I'd have never guessed.

YUMM. sounds glorious.

>The green peppercorns made this even more challenging. I think I'd go with a
>crisper dry white, nothing too expensive. Agree with Ian that flowery isn't the
>thing, so maybe a Quincy, Sancerre, or even a Macon. Maybe a lower-level Gruner
>Veltliner?

As Michael suggested. GV isn't yet in my scheme of things enough.

>As to the German Riesling with the pate, thanks Ian for the warning.

Well, I only tried it the once (with that Doktor) which rather put me off,
as you can imagine.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Hmm. I'd be cautious of anything "flowery". I've often served a bordeaux
> style white (SB/Semillion/muscadelle) and found it acceptable without being
> exciting. Apples wont go so forget the Chenin Loire. I can't really see
> Burgundy style, so I'd not look to Chardonnay. I think on balance I'd look
> to Sancerre style perhaps, with plenty of ripeness.

Sounds like a good plan.

> >p.s. Ian, IIRC, we just carried our Champagne on to the paté at La
> >Souvigne, but as soup was the next course, I don't know that that was
> >more than just a convenience for you...

> Are you sure? The meal was broad bean soup, paté maison, duck legs en
> salmis, cheese and strawberries according to my records. I don't think I'll
> have had the imagination to serve the pate before the soup! I will have
> "skipped over" the soup, not serving any wine with it, and switching to red
> wine with the duck legs.

No doubt you're correct. That was just my best recollection of events.

Thanks, Ian!
Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Michael Pronay wrote:

> Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > We just made a chicken liver paté last night that includes some
> > green peppercorns. Looking through past posts here, I find few
> > positive recommendations for wine pairing (in fact, Ian just
> > tells us that a Mosel Rieseling matched with it was *awful*).
> > So, how about it? What wine(s) would you serve with this dish?

> Peppery Grüner Veltliner - what else?!

I will give it a shot, Michael. Thanks!

Mark Lipton