Ian Hoare

Default Wine pairing w/ chicken liver paté?

Salut/Hi Dale Williams,

le/on 04 Oct 2003 19:38:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Mark,
>Hmm, I'm a big chicken liver fan,

Yeah, me too.

>Last time I made a pasta with chicken liver sauce I drank Dolcetto (went well),

Yes, I can imagine that. Mind you, such a sauce is pretty wildly different
I guess from my paté.

(Sauté chopped onions & garlic in butter with a faggot of herbs, add tidied
up livers, cook on high heat three mins until coloured on outside, pink
inside. Remove herbs, scrape rest into blender, cool a bit then whizz,
adding remainder of butter (start with half weight of livers, and use 1/4
of that for frying). Season carefully and add a good dollop of brandy. Tip
into dish and allow to set, before covering with clarified butter.)

>with entry level Burgundy. The best combo I've had involving chicken livers
>were livers braised with onions in sherry, paired wonderfully with a 1997
>Jean-Paul Droin Chablis GC €œVaudesir". I'd have never guessed.

YUMM. sounds glorious.

>The green peppercorns made this even more challenging. I think I'd go with a
>crisper dry white, nothing too expensive. Agree with Ian that flowery isn't the
>thing, so maybe a Quincy, Sancerre, or even a Macon. Maybe a lower-level Gruner
>Veltliner?

As Michael suggested. GV isn't yet in my scheme of things enough.

>As to the German Riesling with the pate, thanks Ian for the warning.

Well, I only tried it the once (with that Doktor) which rather put me off,
as you can imagine.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare