Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna

KLC wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:09:44 -0500:

> "Nanzi" > wrote in message
>> We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so
>> nice to be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which
>> implies that we have more than one in town - we now have 4 -
>> within the last year, Yay, a choice!!! One of the items on
>> the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is almost better
>> than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last
>> like little kids and savor every bite. We've checked online
>> for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped even if the
>> price of the fish is reasonable. Are we the only ones who are
>> totally gaga over white tuna? Nan

> What is usually called "White Tuna" is actually a fish called Escolar.
> Highly fatty, succulent and one of my absolute
> favourites. I like to make a roll with avocado, salmon and
> "white tuna." Talk about rich, it'll knock your socks off! The
> three flavors compliment and accentuate each other, absolutely
> incredible.

We've been there before many times but my congratulations on being able
to metabolize escolar This is from Wikipedia and fits my experience
too. I did have it once and found it delicious for about 6 hours.

"Because of the possible effects of consumption, escolar has been banned
from consumption in Japan since 1977, as the Japanese government
considers it toxic It has also been banned in Italy..In 1999, the
Swedish and Danish National Food Administrations informed fish trade
associations and fish importing companies about the problems escolar and
related fish could cause if not prepared properly and issued
recommendations"

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland