Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna

We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
choice!!!
One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
Nan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Nanzi" > wrote in message
> We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
> be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
> more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
> choice!!!
> One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
> almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
> little kids and savor every bite.
> We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
> even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
> Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
> Nan

What is usually called "White Tuna" is actually a fish called Escolar.
Highly fatty, succulent and one of my absolute favourites. I like to make a
roll with avocado, salmon and "white tuna." Talk about rich, it'll knock
your socks off! The three flavors compliment and accentuate each other,
absolutely incredible.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:09:44 -0500:

> "Nanzi" > wrote in message
>> We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so
>> nice to be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which
>> implies that we have more than one in town - we now have 4 -
>> within the last year, Yay, a choice!!! One of the items on
>> the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is almost better
>> than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last
>> like little kids and savor every bite. We've checked online
>> for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped even if the
>> price of the fish is reasonable. Are we the only ones who are
>> totally gaga over white tuna? Nan

> What is usually called "White Tuna" is actually a fish called Escolar.
> Highly fatty, succulent and one of my absolute
> favourites. I like to make a roll with avocado, salmon and
> "white tuna." Talk about rich, it'll knock your socks off! The
> three flavors compliment and accentuate each other, absolutely
> incredible.

We've been there before many times but my congratulations on being able
to metabolize escolar This is from Wikipedia and fits my experience
too. I did have it once and found it delicious for about 6 hours.

"Because of the possible effects of consumption, escolar has been banned
from consumption in Japan since 1977, as the Japanese government
considers it toxic It has also been banned in Italy..In 1999, the
Swedish and Danish National Food Administrations informed fish trade
associations and fish importing companies about the problems escolar and
related fish could cause if not prepared properly and issued
recommendations"

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi > said:

> One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
> almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
> little kids and savor every bite.
> We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
> even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
> Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
just me.

Reminds me of an old joke. A country woman came into the hospital
every year to have a baby. She'd done it every year for about 8 years.
When she was checking out the nurse said, "I guess we'll see you next
year Mrs. Johnson." "No you won't," the woman replied, "Me and Jeb's
figured out what's been a-causing it."

Perhaps if you check your digestive response the next day, or the
evening of consuming the escolar, you might find some interesting
coincidences.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> We've been there before many times but my congratulations on being able to
> metabolize escolar This is from Wikipedia and fits my experience too. I
> did have it once and found it delicious for about 6 hours.
>
> "Because of the possible effects of consumption, escolar has been banned
> from consumption in Japan since 1977, as the Japanese government considers
> it toxic It has also been banned in Italy..In 1999, the Swedish and Danish
> National Food Administrations informed fish trade associations and fish
> importing companies about the problems escolar and related fish could
> cause if not prepared properly and issued recommendations"
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I thought of mentioning that, but figured it was fairly well known. I don't
have problems with it in the reasonable portions that I consume, as
infrequently as I have access to it. Even if I know it's going to clean me
out pretty good the next day, it would still be worth it.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Zaghadka wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:34:24 -0700, in alt.food.sushi, Gerry wrote:
>

>>On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi > said:
>>

>>>One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
>>>almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
>>>little kids and savor every bite.
>>>We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
>>>even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
>>>Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

>>A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
>>the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
>>wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
>>just me.
>>

> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
> tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 21:39:15 -0700, Zaghadka > said:

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:34:24 -0700, in alt.food.sushi, Gerry wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi > said:
>>
>>> One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
>>> almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
>>> little kids and savor every bite.
>>> We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
>>> even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
>>> Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

>> A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
>> the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
>> wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
>> just me.
>>

> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
> tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

I ask what the fish's name is. But I don't eat anything named white
tuna no matter the "grade".
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

>> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
>> tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

> Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:44:00 -0700:

>>> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna"
>>> and "Super white tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the
>>> "escolar," right?

>> Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I
>> believe in your case.

> I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
called "white tuna". The different
appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
obvious to me!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:

> On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher >
> said:
>
>>> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and
>>> "Super white
>>> tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

>> Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in
>> your case.

> I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

I saw this in San Francisco at a few different sushi bars.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:25:14 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> >> Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I
> >> believe in your case.

> > I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

> Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
> chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
> called "white tuna". The different
> appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
> obvious to me!

I have too. In fact in my experience, in the places I've been to,
what's called "white tuna" has more frequently been albacore than
escolar.

I've had cooked escolar, but I can't remember ever having escolar at a
sushi bar.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:25:14 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:

>>>I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

>>Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
>>chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
>>called "white tuna". The different
>>appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
>>obvious to me!

> I have too. In fact in my experience, in the places I've been to,
> what's called "white tuna" has more frequently been albacore than
> escolar.
>
> I've had cooked escolar, but I can't remember ever having escolar at a
> sushi bar.

How was it cooked? I'd like to try it grilled.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 10:42:49 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:25:14 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > > wrote:

> >>Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
> >>chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
> >>called "white tuna". The different
> >>appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
> >>obvious to me!

> > I have too. In fact in my experience, in the places I've been to,
> > what's called "white tuna" has more frequently been albacore than
> > escolar.
> >
> > I've had cooked escolar, but I can't remember ever having escolar at a
> > sushi bar.

> How was it cooked? I'd like to try it grilled.

I've mostly had it grilled. I used to do it myself, but stopped
because of its effects on my digestive system.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Nanzi posted this:
> We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
> be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
> more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
> choice!!!
> One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
> almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
> little kids and savor every bite.
> We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
> even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
> Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
> Nan

Ah yes, the old 'white tuna,' 'super white tuna,' Escolar gambit. This is
definitely one of the most popular discussion topics in this group. I always
eat it, whatever they're calling it and have more troubles with trots from
McDonald's food.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 4, 1:44*am, Gerry > wrote:
> On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:
>
> >> Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
> >> tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

> > Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

> I've never heard albacore called white tuna.
> --

Albacore in Japanese is Binchou Maguro, or, Bin naga Maguro (same
characters read differently)
meaning long finned tuna because of their very long pectoral fins.
However they are also called
Shiro Maguro (literally "White Tuna") in some fish markets.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-08 11:47:48 -0700, Musashi > said:

>>> Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

>> I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

> Albacore in Japanese is Binchou Maguro, or, Bin naga Maguro (same
> characters read differently)
> meaning long finned tuna because of their very long pectoral fins.
> However they are also called
> Shiro Maguro (literally "White Tuna") in some fish markets.

Now as I think of it, I heard sushi-chef's refer to Shiro Maguro and
after the translation it was indeed Albacore. I think I'll stick with
"albacore" as my name of choice, to avoid surprises.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

White Tuna Musashi Sushi 128 19-02-2012 09:05 PM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 10:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White Tuna James Silverton Sushi 33 16-03-2005 09:46 PM