Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough Bread with LARGE holes - pics

I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
Large holey bread. It is at just around 68% hydration and I don't do
the "cheat" (I thinks thats funny whoever came up with that one)
folding. It is just the recipe that comes up with the large holes plus
higher hydration helps.It has become a really popular bread so I
thought you here would like to see it. Here are some pics:

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey.jpg

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey2.jpg

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/sponge222.jpg

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use tags in this format , so I hope
the urls are active.
Have a great day!
Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"northwestsourdough.com" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
> Large holey bread. It is at just around 68% hydration and I don't do
> the "cheat" (I thinks thats funny whoever came up with that one)
> folding. It is just the recipe that comes up with the large holes plus
> higher hydration helps.It has become a really popular bread so I
> thought you here would like to see it. Here are some pics:
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey.jpg
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey2.jpg
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/sponge222.jpg
>

> I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use tags in this format , so I hope
> the urls are active.
> Have a great day!
> Teresa

great looking bread teresa, and thx for the pics. how was the taste? i am
not a fan of the big hole for practicle reasons, (everything falls through),
but it does look great.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:
> I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
> Large holey bread.

Nice pictures. What's the recipe?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>how was the taste? i am
>not a fan of the big hole for practicle reasons, (everything falls through),

It is made with an initial motherdough(fermented), so it is somewhat
sweet, although not too much. It has a wonderful smell , taste, and is
chewy. I just went for the big holes because so many people like this
kind of bread for show. It is terrific for slices to go along with
soup, makes great toast, even though the butter drips everywhere and
has been my family's favorite ever since it has shown up on the table.
Thankyou, Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"northwestsourdough.com" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
> Large holey bread. It is at just around 68% hydration and I don't do
> the "cheat" (I thinks thats funny whoever came up with that one)
> folding.

Teresa, I am the only one I can think of who calls them cheater holes, I
might have posted that somewhere. I dont think anyone is really "cheating"
by flolding, but the big holes, if thats what one is after, do seem easier
to come by using the technique. Your bread looks quite good by the way.

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"northwestsourdough.com" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
> Large holey bread. It is at just around 68% hydration and I don't do
> the "cheat" (I thinks thats funny whoever came up with that one)
> folding. It is just the recipe that comes up with the large holes plus
> higher hydration helps.

What's the recipe???

> It has become a really popular bread so I
> thought you here would like to see it. Here are some pics:
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey.jpg
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey2.jpg
>
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/sponge222.jpg
>

> I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use tags in this format , so I hope
> the urls are active.
> Have a great day!
> Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Homer Simpson" > wrote in message

> "northwestsourdough.com" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I have been working on a new bread recipe and have come up with a very
>> Large holey bread. It is at just around 68% hydration and I don't do
>> the "cheat" (I thinks thats funny whoever came up with that one)
>> folding. It is just the recipe that comes up with the large holes plus
>> higher hydration helps.

> What's the recipe???

And what culture?-wild local,Carl's, SF, Bahrain, ?

Thanks.

>> It has become a really popular bread so I
>> thought you here would like to see it. Here are some pics:
>>
>> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey.jpg
>>
>> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/holey2.jpg
>>
>> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/sponge222.jpg
>>

>> I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use tags in this format , so I hope
>> the urls are active.
>> Have a great day!
>> Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>>And what culture?-wild local,Carl's, SF, Bahrain, ?

Northwest Sourdough Starter
http://www.northwestsourdough.com/starter.html

Have a nice day,
Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>>HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.....He asked!
Have a nice day, if thats possible!
Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 5/18/06, dan w > wrote:

> great looking bread teresa, and thx for the pics. how was the taste? i
> am
> not a fan of the big hole for practicle reasons, (everything falls
> through),
> but it does look great.

Try a different approach. Instead of cutting slices vertically, cut
horizontally. Now the crust, top or bottom, will keep the goodies in.
Great for trapping sauces, gravies, mayo, mustard, catsup or whatever.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I believe you were asked for the recipe, not
a link to order your starter.

When someone posts pictures and states
that they have a recipe to produce a certain
outcome, one would think that it wouldn't be
such a difficult thing to post your recipe as
others have done. At least your link could
have been directly to the recipe for the bread
for which the picture was posted.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Trix wrote:

> I believe you were asked for the recipe, not
> a link to order your starter.

Did you think it would be otherwise?

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 20 May 2006 07:04:23 -0700, Trix > wrote:

> I believe you were asked for the recipe, not
> a link to order your starter.

She was asked for the recipe, which she has not provided, and in the next
message the same poster asked her which starter she had used. If she had
used Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail and had put a link to the friends of Carl
website would you have been so upset?

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message news:mailman.0.1148143928.70749.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

> She was asked for the recipe, which she has not provided, and in the

There are some sourdough instructions at her web site, and it should
be no surprise by this time that she is pandering a starter culture, which
is the one she is most indubitably using.

> If she had used Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail and had put a link to the friends
> of Carl website would you have been so upset?

One might be upset because the Post Office makes almost a buck each time
an Oregon Trail start hits the mails. (Isn't there some way to avoid that?)

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message news:mailman.0.1148143928.70749.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

If she had used Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail and had put a link to the friends of Carl website would you have been so upset?

Mike

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

No, recommending and spreading links to free starter should be encouraged.

By the way, here it is:

www.carlsfriends.org

which for some reason changes to:

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

-------------------------------------
"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.0.1148143928.70749.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

On 20 May 2006 07:04:23 -0700, Trix > wrote:
I believe you were asked for the recipe, not
a link to order your starter.

She was asked for the recipe, which she has not provided, and in the next
message the same poster asked her which starter she had used. If she had
used Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail and had put a link to the friends of Carl
website would you have been so upset?

Mike
-----------------

I'm not upset or surprised, but the recipe would be helpful. The OP says
the big holes were a product of the recipe and not the kneading, but without
a recipe, how much the particular starter has contributed to those results
is a little hard to determine.

Sorry to support the spam by continuing this thread assuming better info.
isn't forthcoming.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

HAL 9000 wrote:

> I'm not upset or surprised, but the recipe would be helpful. The OP says
> the big holes were a product of the recipe and not the kneading, but without
> a recipe, how much the particular starter has contributed to those results
> is a little hard to determine.

Well... that's what I thought.

It seemed like a the opening to a good thread, and, one that might have
generated Northwest a bit of credibility beyond her commercial
enterprise.

If I was looking for big holes in a batard, I would have taken my dough
after bulk proof and massaged it very gently into a long, narrow,
rectangle. I would have mentally divided it into thirds and determined
which third would become the loaf's top. This third, the loaf's future
top, would have been pressed to eliminate gas pockets. The rest of the
dough would have been left alone. After folding, like a letter, and
sealing, I would warm proof. The 2/3 of the dough with minimal handling
would have nice, large, irregular holes and the top 1/3 would not have
a fly-away crust. There are vairants of this technique. You can roll
the dough, instead of fold... but the key is to degas the section that
will become the top and leave the rest alone.

It works with my homegrown starters. I suppose it would work with
Northwest's. If you read this please send me $3.50 <g>.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message news:mailman.7.1148083644.4463.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...
On 5/18/06, dan w > wrote:

great looking bread teresa, and thx for the pics. how was the taste? i am
not a fan of the big hole for practicle reasons, (everything falls through),
but it does look great.

Try a different approach. Instead of cutting slices vertically, cut horizontally. Now the crust, top or bottom, will keep the goodies in. Great for trapping sauces, gravies, mayo, mustard, catsup or whatever.

Mike

thx mike- i'll give it a try!
dan w