Old 17-12-2005, 06:40 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Rich Hollenbeck

Default How do I get large holes in English Muffins

I'm trying this now, but I think I made a mistake. I divided them into
eight balls first and now they're rising. Is that so wrong? I totally
mixed the dry ingredients before adding the water. I'll report how it
turned out. What's wrong with dividing first and letting the individual
portions rise?

Rich

"George Beasley" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
When I make English Muffins they come out looking fine on the outside.
But when I open them the crumb is fine--the holes are more like that in
bread loaves. Any suggestions? BobbiJo

Your recipe probably has butter and egg in it.
That gives the crumb you describe.
I make the following recipe all the time and
they are perfect. You can use AP flour.
I make the dough in the breadmaker, that is why
I don't include the method, just make it in the same
manner as your normally do.
Eliminate the second rise, you don't need that because
the muffins will rise beautifully in the pan.
Oven baking doesn't work as well.

English Muffins

1 cup water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
tsp. baking soda
3 cups bread flour
3 Tbs. milk powder
2 tsp. yeast
corn meal

Mix all ingredients knead well, let rise once.
Divide in 8 rolls and flatten them.
Put a small amount of corn meal on each side,
as much as will stick when you press them in the corn meal
In heavy frying pan without grease cook muffins
approx. 7 minutes on each side, covered on low heat,
until browned
The muffins will rise nicely in the pan.
I put 4 muffins in 10 inch porcelain covered frying pan each time.
Works perfectly.

Enjoy!
Elly