Old 22-05-2005, 02:01 AM

Default How do I get large holes in English Muffins

Thanks Mike and George, Yes, my recipe does have both milk and butter.
I have copied the recipe and will try it next time.

Old 22-05-2005, 04:27 PM
George Beasley

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
Regarding those muffins:
What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut Scottish
oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Dave

The purpose of the cornmeal in this recipe is to prevent the muffins from
sticking to the pan. If you have a heavy non-stick pan, you might try to
eliminate the cornmeal. I think that oatmeal would work too.

Elly

Old 22-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
Regarding those muffins:
What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut Scottish
oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Dave

rice flour. Comes in white or brown.

Old 22-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

Regarding those muffins:
What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
Scottish oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Semolina, which is a form of wheat, is a good alternative.

Mike

Old 23-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

Dave Bell wrote:

Regarding those muffins:
What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
Scottish oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Semolina, which is a form of wheat, is a good alternative.

Mike

I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
This small amount would probably be OK, though.

Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.

Mike

Old 24-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Dave Bell

Thanks, Janet! I'll try it out...

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
ea.net...

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
Regarding those muffins:
What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
Scottish
oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Dave
rice flour. Comes in white or brown.

Doesn't get too sticky? That would be perfect for me...

Thanks,

Dave

No, it's perfect for non-stick. Just be careful to not use a lot, you just
want a light dusting, otherwise you get the crunchy feeling in the mouth.
Use it also for dusting dough that you are putting in baskets or linen to
rise, it gives great release. If you want the flour markings from the
basket, sprinkle the basket lightly with the rice flour then regular flour
over that. I use a small, fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the rice flour
evenly.
Janet
Janet

Old 24-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Dave Bell

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

Dave Bell wrote:

I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
This small amount would probably be OK, though.

Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.

Mike

Of course - unless I make them myself, with spelt!

Dave
Old 24-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
This small amount would probably be OK, though.

Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.

Mike

Of course - unless I make them myself, with spelt!

Spelt IS wheat.

It is a primitive wheat, that is tolerated by some people who can't
tolerate modern wheats. However, for many people, it's just wheat. For
people with gluten sensitivities, spelt is a no-no.

I DO wish vita-spelt hadn't used that misleading advertising campaign
touting spelt as a wheat alternative.

Mike

Old 24-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Dave Bell

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

Spelt IS wheat.

It might be more accurate to say that what we now call wheat is spelt, or
a descendant of spelt.

It is a primitive wheat, that is tolerated by some people who can't
tolerate modern wheats. However, for many people, it's just wheat. For
people with gluten sensitivities, spelt is a no-no.

And I am one that can tolerate much more spelt than wheat. If I eat enough
of it, or *whole* spelt, I get a similar reaction as from wheat. Still
less severe and shorter duration, though. Case in point: Last night we
were joining a group of friends for a dinner at Chevy's (California
Mexican chain.) Before heading out, I made up a batch of half a dozen
spelt tortillas to bring with me. Ended up pigging out and eating the
entire stack with my habanero steak fajitas, amounting to 1.5 cups of
white spelt flour. *Very* mild reaction, well within my "It was worth it!"
tolerance level...

I DO wish vita-spelt hadn't used that misleading advertising campaign
touting spelt as a wheat alternative.

Mike

For some, it is. As usual, each individual is different, and needs to take
responsibility for his own health!

Dave
Old 27-05-2005, 05:10 PM
[email protected]

George, Your recipe is great! I finally finished off the bread I had on
hand and made a batch of English Muffins using your recipe. The muffins
have the larger holes. Thanks a lot. BobbiJo

Old 27-05-2005, 09:51 PM
FREECYCLEMOM

wrote in message
oups.com...
George, Your recipe is great! I finally finished off the bread I had
on
hand and made a batch of English Muffins using your recipe. The
muffins
have the larger holes. Thanks a lot. BobbiJo

Me too! Made a 2nd batch yesterday. Thanks!