Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Default Warnings about ordering certain foods in certain cities

First, if you are not from St. Louis, don't even THINK about ordering
St. Louis Style pizza. It's made with slimy process cheese.
In Cincinnati, they put all kinds of weird shit in their chili, and it
tastes awful to nearly everyone who didn't grow up on it.
In Memphis, be aware that if you order a BBQ sandwich, they will put a
plop of coleslaw right on the sandwich if you don't tell them not to.

Anyone have other cities to add?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:03:11 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>If you are at ANY Ritz Carlton property...the food will be devine!

YES...I meant to spell it "devine"....since any ignat food critic
probably wouldn't know the difference if it were spelled "divine".

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:41:21 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>You can always count on Ward to put you down. He's DEvine!

Stevie.....truth is divine.....too brutal for pedestrians to abide.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Hi,

in memphis you should feel free to be as specific as you want when
ordering a bar-b-que at a real q place.... slaw on the side, sauce on
the side, half chopped/half pulled for example...

and in most of texas bar-b-que is often brisket... I get it sliced
myself and love it.

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,stl.dining,memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

Default memphis area sushi/japanese

Hi,

lately the best kept secret in memphis area sushi is the new sekisui in
southaven, top notch itamaesan and first rate sushi... lead chef is
actually a young japanese guy but he does lots of interesting stuff and
remembers his regulars.

I try to go weekly :-}
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Anonymouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in memphis you should feel free to be as specific as you want when
> ordering a bar-b-que at a real q place.... slaw on the side, sauce on
> the side, half chopped/half pulled for example...

The problem is, if you don't know that the default is to get that plop
of slaw, then we cabbage haters are unpleasantly surprised. Hence, the
warning.

> and in most of texas bar-b-que is often brisket... I get it sliced
> myself and love it.

As do I, and in TX the wood used is often mesquite, which I find less
appealing than hickory. My favorite thing about TX is the Mexican food
I got at a mercado y taqueria in North Dallas. My least favorite,
Bush, DeLay, TX Republicans in general.

> wrote:
>
> > First, if you are not from St. Louis, don't even THINK about ordering
> > St. Louis Style pizza. It's made with slimy process cheese.
> > In Cincinnati, they put all kinds of weird shit in their chili, and it
> > tastes awful to nearly everyone who didn't grow up on it.
> > In Memphis, be aware that if you order a BBQ sandwich, they will put a
> > plop of coleslaw right on the sandwich if you don't tell them not to.
> >
> > Anyone have other cities to add?
> >
> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:45:02 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"

>> First, if you are not from St. Louis, don't even THINK about ordering
>> St. Louis Style pizza. It's made with slimy process cheese.
>> In Cincinnati, they put all kinds of weird shit in their chili, and it
>> tastes awful to nearly everyone who didn't grow up on it.
>> In Memphis, be aware that if you order a BBQ sandwich, they will put a
>> plop of coleslaw right on the sandwich if you don't tell them not to.
>>
>> Anyone have other cities to add?

>Cornish pasties made anywhere outside Cornwall always have carrot and
>minced beef in them. Satan's pasties! Correct ingredients: beef steak
>(usually chuck), onion/leak, turnip (what everyone else seems to call
>swede), potato, salt, pepper.

Ginsters pasties seem to be 'correct' in that regard. Used to eat
stacks of them (the shop across the road from me would always have
loads that were just about to go out of date and they'd sell them
three for a quid in the evening)...

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: Johnny Thunders - I Tell The Truth Even When I'm Lying

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Cam wrote:
> My warning is to Candians travelling in the States. Nobody puts vinegar
> on their fries, especially not white vinegar. Now when I travel I carry
> a supply of the little packets you get with fast food. Sue says I'm in
> touch with my inner Grandma.
>
> Cam

The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Anonymouse wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in memphis you should feel free to be as specific as you want when
>> ordering a bar-b-que at a real q place.... slaw on the side, sauce on
>> the side, half chopped/half pulled for example...

> The problem is, if you don't know that the default is to get that plop
> of slaw, then we cabbage haters are unpleasantly surprised. Hence, the
> warning.
>>
>> and in most of texas bar-b-que is often brisket... I get it sliced
>> myself and love it.

> As do I, and in TX the wood used is often mesquite, which I find less
> appealing than hickory. My favorite thing about TX is the Mexican food
> I got at a mercado y taqueria in North Dallas. My least favorite,
> Bush, DeLay, TX Republicans in general.
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > First, if you are not from St. Louis, don't even THINK about ordering
>> > St. Louis Style pizza. It's made with slimy process cheese.
>> > In Cincinnati, they put all kinds of weird shit in their chili, and it
>> > tastes awful to nearly everyone who didn't grow up on it.
>> > In Memphis, be aware that if you order a BBQ sandwich, they will put a
>> > plop of coleslaw right on the sandwich if you don't tell them not to.
>> >
>> > Anyone have other cities to add?
>> >
>> > --Bryan
>> >

> --Bryan

It's kind of a southern thing. Like a slaw-burger, fries and a bottle of
'ski on a Friday night date.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article >, andrew@rockface-
records.co.uk says...
> turnip (what everyone else seems to call
>swede),

Do you mean the small white fleshed vegetable with the
white/yellow/purple mottled flesh, or the larger yellow fleshed veg with
the darker almost brown skin?
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On 21 Apr 2006 05:51:15 -0700, "Cam" > wrote:

wrote:
>> In Memphis, be aware that if you order a BBQ sandwich, they will put a
>> plop of coleslaw right on the sandwich if you don't tell them not to.
>>

>I put coleslaw in my pulled pork sandwiches when I make them. But I
>guess everyone really ought to pull their own pork.

95% ain't bad...

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: Poison Idea - Star Of Baghdad
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Dav wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:11:40 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dav wrote:
>>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:45:02 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"

>>> Ginsters pasties seem to be 'correct' in that regard. Used to eat
>>> stacks of them (the shop across the road from me would always have
>>> loads that were just about to go out of date and they'd sell them
>>> three for a quid in the evening)...

>> Awful pasties! No one, and I mean no one in Cornwall eats those
>> *******ing things. If you ever come down I'll buy you a proper one.

> What's so bad about them? I think that they're quite nice, considering
> that they come in a plastic packet...

If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
pasties we eat down here.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: Yellow 6 - Tomorrow [stopped]

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

NeedforSwede2 wrote:
> In article >, andrew@rockface-
> records.co.uk says...
>> turnip (what everyone else seems to call
>> swede),
>>

> Do you mean the small white fleshed vegetable with the
> white/yellow/purple mottled flesh, or the larger yellow fleshed veg with
> the darker almost brown skin?

The later - the large brown/orange skinned ones. Apparently the Scots do
the same. Taste much nicer and when stewed the texture's better.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: Yellow 6 - Tomorrow [stopped]
www.rockface-records.co.uk
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> wrote:

>If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
>them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
>with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
>pasties we eat down here.

Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: Anti-Nowhere League - We're the League
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Dav wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> > wrote:
>
>> If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
>> them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
>> with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
>> pasties we eat down here.

> Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
> the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: Kate Rusby - The Cobbler's Daughter
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Al Al is offline

Mike Walsh wrote:
> Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.

We used to many years ago. It was on Summer near White Station.
Used to love going there

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:10 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> wrote:

>Dav wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
>>> them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
>>> with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
>>> pasties we eat down here.

>> Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
>> the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

>We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
>pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
>other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

Party at Andrew's house?

Do they have coke and hookers down in Cornwall?

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: The Members - Frustrated Bagshot

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Dav wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:10 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dav wrote:
>>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"

>>> Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
>>> the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

>> We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
>> pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
>> other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

> Party at Andrew's house?
>
> Do they have coke and hookers down in Cornwall?

The only hookers down here form part of a scrum

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: Son House - Am I Right Or Wrong [stopped]
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article >, andrew@rockface-
records.co.uk says...
>Dav wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
>>> them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
>>> with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
>>> pasties we eat down here.

>> Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
>> the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

>We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
>pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
>other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

The missus is from Leigh, not far from Wigan.
And they make pasties up here. Proper meat and potato ones.
When we lived in Luton she always complained that Pasties had peas and
carrots in, not like proper meat and potato ones from the north.

I'm afraid when it comes to pasties I'm a cheese and onion person
myself.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article >, andrew@rockface-
records.co.uk says...
>NeedforSwede2 wrote:
>> In article >, andrew@rockface-
>> records.co.uk says...
>>> turnip (what everyone else seems to call
>>> swede),
>>>

>> Do you mean the small white fleshed vegetable with the
>> white/yellow/purple mottled flesh, or the larger yellow fleshed veg with
>> the darker almost brown skin?

>The later - the large brown/orange skinned ones. Apparently the Scots do
>the same. Taste much nicer and when stewed the texture's better.

Yes, was about to say that. My step dad is a "Weedgie" (from glasgow),
and was always going on about mashed carrot and turnip. He did make good
soup though, and now I do too, every winter. Start by boiling the turkey
carcass from christmas dinner and chucking all the ham and gammon
leftovers.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:24:47 +0100, NeedforSwede2
> wrote:

>The missus is from Leigh, not far from Wigan.
>And they make pasties up here. Proper meat and potato ones.
>When we lived in Luton she always complained that Pasties had peas and
>carrots in, not like proper meat and potato ones from the north.
>
>I'm afraid when it comes to pasties I'm a cheese and onion person
>myself.

Corned beef = the win.

Cheese and ham is nice too.

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: Desmond Dekker - Parents
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining
Dav Dav is offline

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:40:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> wrote:

>Dav wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:10 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
>> > wrote:

>>> We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
>>> pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
>>> other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

>> Party at Andrew's house?
>>
>> Do they have coke and hookers down in Cornwall?

>The only hookers down here form part of a scrum

Hookers, tight-heads, loose heads, men jumping on top of each other,
men taking a bath together, etc., etc...

Who was it that said that rugger has no homoerotic undercurrents?

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Now playing: Desmond Dekker - Labour For Learning

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Dav wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:40:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dav wrote:
>>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:10 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"

>>> Party at Andrew's house?
>>>
>>> Do they have coke and hookers down in Cornwall?

>> The only hookers down here form part of a scrum

> Hookers, tight-heads, loose heads, men jumping on top of each other,
> men taking a bath together, etc., etc...
>
> Who was it that said that rugger has no homoerotic undercurrents?

Never heard it called rugger down here. Strangely it's (Rugby Union)
viewed as a working class sport in Cornwall and tends to be taught with
more vigor in regular comprehensive schools than football - at least
when I was at school it was.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

NeedforSwede2 wrote:
> In article >, andrew@rockface-
> records.co.uk says...
>> Dav wrote:
>>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"

>>> Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
>>> the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

>> We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
>> pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
>> other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.
>>

> The missus is from Leigh, not far from Wigan.
> And they make pasties up here. Proper meat and potato ones.
> When we lived in Luton she always complained that Pasties had peas and
> carrots in, not like proper meat and potato ones from the north.

I wouldn't mind trying one sometime.

> I'm afraid when it comes to pasties I'm a cheese and onion person
> myself.

My favourite is a good steak and stilton pasty.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,memphis.dining

Al wrote:
> Mike Walsh wrote:
>> Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.

> We used to many years ago. It was on Summer near White Station.
> Used to love going there

Really? Lots of places closing up near that intersection these days.
K-Mart closed, the Western Sizzlin' closed up very recently. There was
a Chinese joint right next to it, can't recall the name now....
RYU's Steak & Sushi opened up across the street, what 2 years ago now
right by that Chinese Market by the Sears Credit Union I think it is.
Don't go there that much, but RYU's is good for some sushi IMHO. I'm
surprised to see Zellner's or is it Zelners still there, they do good
work, but wrong news group for car repair...
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,stl.dining,memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

I was in Memphis a couple of years ago. I accidentally came accross a
very nice Chinese buffet - in a weird neighborhood, too.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article >,
Mike Walsh > wrote:

> The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
> vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
> Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
> US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
> to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
> the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

jt

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article <starsabre-88E7E3.12510016052006@localhost>,
jt august > wrote:

> In article >,
> Mike Walsh > wrote:
>
> > The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
> > vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
> > Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
> > US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
> > to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
> > the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

> In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
> vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
and I really like them).

jt
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

jt august wrote:
> In article <starsabre-88E7E3.12510016052006@localhost>,
> jt august > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Mike Walsh > wrote:
> >
> > > The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
> > > vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
> > > Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
> > > US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
> > > to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
> > > the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

> > In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
> > vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

> Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
> cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
> fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
> and I really like them).
>
> jt

NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article .com>,
"Cam" > wrote:

> > Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
> > cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
> > fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
> > and I really like them).

> NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.

jt
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

jt august wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Cam" > wrote:
>
> > > Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
> > > cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
> > > fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
> > > and I really like them).

> > NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

> Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.
>
> jt

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

"Cam" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> jt august wrote:

>> > NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

>> Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.
>>
>> jt

> I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
> nyeh.
>
> Cam

What exactly is "Vindaloo" of more specifically "Crab Vindaloo"?