Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TORNADO WARNINGS

North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

I was ducking and covering here in north east Texas a few days ago. I
saved a really nice NWS radar image that had two patches of red level
storm and two big red tornado warning boxes sandwiching me in a tiny
little strip of semi-clear between them. I got about 5 minutes of power
outage and a few twigs blown off trees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:37:45 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>West TN. Duck and cover!

How long do you braise and at what temp?
I love braised duck. Peking duck is quite good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary school.

Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary
> school.
>
> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I

I have a vague memory of this film but it was not about tornados. More like
the BOMB.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:37:45 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> West TN. Duck and cover!

> How long do you braise and at what temp?
> I love braised duck. Peking duck is quite good too.

I prefer roasted duck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

>> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary
>> school.
>>
>> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I

> I have a vague memory of this film but it was not about tornados. More like
> the BOMB.

Yes, the BOMB!

I remember my older brother arguing with my father, telling him we needed a
fallout shelter. I didn't know what to think at the time. Was my father being
negligent, putting us all at risk by not building one?

"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (Dr. Strangelove)...
see http://tinyurl.com/fzrgk

ObFood: My Joy of Cooking (1970s edition) has the warning not to drink water
contaminated by fallout, along with another mention of hominy being an
anti-strontium absorbent!

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>>>
>>> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary
>>> school.
>>>
>>> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I

>> I have a vague memory of this film but it was not about tornados.
>> More like the BOMB.

> Yes, the BOMB!
>
> I remember my older brother arguing with my father, telling him we
> needed a fallout shelter. I didn't know what to think at the time.
> Was my father being negligent, putting us all at risk by not building
> one?

Oh, we were never actually hit by one but remember that movie with Matthew
Broderick, War Games... "this corn is raw!" "Yes, can't you just taste the
vitamins?" "Can't we just cook the corn and take some pills?"

> "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (Dr.
> Strangelove)...
> see http://tinyurl.com/fzrgk

Yeah, Sam something (Peckinpah?)

> ObFood: My Joy of Cooking (1970s edition) has the warning not to
> drink water contaminated by fallout, along with another mention of
> hominy being an anti-strontium absorbent!

I happen to like hominy I have no clue what strontium is therefore I
must be against it. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>> "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (Dr.
>> Strangelove)...
>> see http://tinyurl.com/fzrgk
>>

> Yeah, Sam something (Peckinpah?)

Slim Pickens!
Other actors in the movie were Peter Sellers (playing several roles), George C.
Scott and James Earl Jones.

>> ObFood: My Joy of Cooking (1970s edition) has the warning not to
>> drink water contaminated by fallout, along with another mention of
>> hominy being an anti-strontium absorbent!

> I happen to like hominy I have no clue what strontium is therefore I
> must be against it. LOL

Strontium 90 is in radioactive fallout. It is absorbed into the body as if it
were calcium and gets in the bones... not good.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>>> "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (Dr.
>>> Strangelove)...
>>> see http://tinyurl.com/fzrgk
>>>

>> Yeah, Sam something (Peckinpah?)

> Slim Pickens!
> Other actors in the movie were Peter Sellers (playing several roles),
> George C. Scott and James Earl Jones.
>>
>>> ObFood: My Joy of Cooking (1970s edition) has the warning not to
>>> drink water contaminated by fallout, along with another mention of
>>> hominy being an anti-strontium absorbent!

>> I happen to like hominy I have no clue what strontium is therefore I
>> must be against it. LOL

> Strontium 90 is in radioactive fallout. It is absorbed into the body as if
> it were calcium and gets in the bones... not good.
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

So maybe we should stop worrying about tornado warnings and be on the alert
for strontium warnings.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Yeah, Sam something (Peckinpah?)

Stanley Kubrick, the same man that brought us "2001: A Space Odyssey"
FWIW.

> I happen to like hominy I have no clue what strontium is therefore I
> must be against it. LOL

Strontium 90. Geeze Jill. Don't you watch "Dr. Strangelove" every day?
All kidding aside, I have only taped five films in my life. "Dr.
Strangelove", The Gods Must be Crazy", the Gods Must be Crazy II, "The
Creature from the Black Lagoon" and "Them". I will tape "The Treasure of
Sierra Madre" someday. But I ain't had no stinkin' chance.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 9:02 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary school.
>
> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

I may be old enough but wrong country. I do remember the song for
some reason.
I think it was probably for bombs though, I do remember a drill one
day on how to hide under the school desk if an atomic bomb went off.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 12:16 am, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> "wff_ng_7" > wrote in message

> >> Yeah, Sam something (Peckinpah?)

> > Slim Pickens!
> > Other actors in the movie were Peter Sellers (playing several roles),
> > George C. Scott and James Earl Jones.

> >> I happen to like hominy I have no clue what strontium is therefore I
> >> must be against it. LOL

> > Strontium 90 is in radioactive fallout. It is absorbed into the body as if
> > it were calcium and gets in the bones... not good.
> > --
> > wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

> So maybe we should stop worrying about tornado warnings and be on the alert
> for strontium warnings.
>
> Felice

Well how many atomic bombs have hit this year as opposed to how many
tornados?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On May 10, 9:02 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

>> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary
>> school.
>>
>> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I
>>
>> --
>> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

> I may be old enough but wrong country. I do remember the song for
> some reason.
> I think it was probably for bombs though, I do remember a drill one
> day on how to hide under the school desk if an atomic bomb went off.
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Yes, and what a joke that was! Like a wooden school desk is really going to
help if someone drops an atomic bomb in the vacinity.

Just in case anyone else has tornadic (is that a word?) type weather, here's
a hint. If your bathroom is in the middle of the house (sans windows, in
other words) the bathtub is the safest place to ride out a twister. Why?
Pipes in the walls. Take a flashlight, a blanket, a pillow or two and a
cell phone if you have one. It's also a good idea to have a weather radio
which will keep you apprised of the warning conditions and when the all
clear is sounded... after all, how else are you going to know when it's safe
to get out of the bathtub?! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 1:37 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

The worst thing coming to the Memphis area will be when the New Madrid
fault has a huge event.

See: http://showme.net/~fkeller/quake/lib/memphis1.htm

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> John Kane wrote:
> >>
> >> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary
> >> school.
> >>
> >> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I
> >>
> >> --
> >> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

> > I may be old enough but wrong country. I do remember the song for
> > some reason.
> > I think it was probably for bombs though, I do remember a drill one
> > day on how to hide under the school desk if an atomic bomb went off.
> > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

> Yes, and what a joke that was! Like a wooden school desk is really going to
> help if someone drops an atomic bomb in the vacinity.
>
> Just in case anyone else has tornadic (is that a word?) type weather, here's
> a hint. If your bathroom is in the middle of the house (sans windows, in
> other words) the bathtub is the safest place to ride out a twister. Why?
> Pipes in the walls. Take a flashlight, a blanket, a pillow or two and a
> cell phone if you have one. It's also a good idea to have a weather radio
> which will keep you apprised of the warning conditions and when the all
> clear is sounded... after all, how else are you going to know when it's safe
> to get out of the bathtub?! LOL

Partly true, the bathtub is the safest place absent a proper reinforced
storm room, but it has nothing to do with pipes in the walls. A tornado
launched 2x4 missile will blast through the pipes just as easily as it
will blast through brick (see Texas Tech storm lab site for videos). If
you have a fiberglass tub it also won't provide much protection.

What you want is a steel or cast iron tub, and you want to pull a
mattress over you. This keeps you as low as you can get sans basement,
provides padding to help shield you from falling debris and provides a
little side protection, but mostly it prevents you from being crushed
when the walls and/or roof fall in.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote:
>> So maybe we should stop worrying about tornado warnings and be on the alert
>> for strontium warnings.
>>
>> Felice

> Well how many atomic bombs have hit this year as opposed to how many
> tornados?
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Not so many atomic bombs this year, but that's certainly not true of the 1950s
and 60s. There were over 2,000 nuclear weapons tests over the years, and at
least a quarter of them were atmospheric tests. The fallout went over wide areas
of the USA (and beyond). If you lived in St. George, Utah, you got a pretty
significant dose of radiation in that era.

Back then, they really had no idea how dangerous some of these tests were.
Nothing was thought of dumping radioactive waste at sea, after all the oceans
were infinite! ;-)

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> John Kane wrote:

>>> I may be old enough but wrong country. I do remember the song for
>>> some reason.
>>> I think it was probably for bombs though, I do remember a drill one
>>> day on how to hide under the school desk if an atomic bomb went off.
>>> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

>> Yes, and what a joke that was! Like a wooden school desk is really
>> going to help if someone drops an atomic bomb in the vacinity.
>>
>> Just in case anyone else has tornadic (is that a word?) type
>> weather, here's a hint. If your bathroom is in the middle of the
>> house (sans windows, in other words) the bathtub is the safest place
>> to ride out a twister. Why? Pipes in the walls. Take a flashlight,
>> a blanket, a pillow or two and a cell phone if you have one. It's
>> also a good idea to have a weather radio which will keep you
>> apprised of the warning conditions and when the all clear is
>> sounded... after all, how else are you going to know when it's safe
>> to get out of the bathtub?! LOL

> Partly true, the bathtub is the safest place absent a proper
> reinforced storm room, but it has nothing to do with pipes in the
> walls. A tornado launched 2x4 missile will blast through the pipes
> just as easily as it will blast through brick (see Texas Tech storm
> lab site for videos). If you have a fiberglass tub it also won't
> provide much protection.
>
> What you want is a steel or cast iron tub, and you want to pull a
> mattress over you. This keeps you as low as you can get sans basement,
> provides padding to help shield you from falling debris and provides a
> little side protection, but mostly it prevents you from being crushed
> when the walls and/or roof fall in.
>
> Pete C.

I've been through a couple tornados and the bathtub worked (for what it's
worth). There are no basements in the southern U.S.; the water table is too
high. It's like trying to hide from a hurricane on the coast or an
earthquake in California. Doesn't work so well (Although I do live on
the New Madrid fault and have been through an earthquake here - we are due
for another one.)

So you go to the inside room with the most stuff around to protect you. Oh,
and take some snacks - cheese crackers and water, although you can use water
from the toilet tank as drinking water if necessary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote:
> On May 10, 9:02 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> > North Mississippi and West TN. Duck and cover!

>> You've got to "duck and cover" properly. I was taught in elementary school.
>>
>> Anyone old enough to remember this instructional film?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I
>>
>> --
>> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

> I may be old enough but wrong country. I do remember the song for
> some reason.
> I think it was probably for bombs though, I do remember a drill one
> day on how to hide under the school desk if an atomic bomb went off.
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

The film most definitely was for atomic bombs. I remember the drills we had for
the atomic bombs and also the more standard fire drills. But I got confused.
Were we supposed to close the shades for a fire or an atomic attack before we
left the classroom? I think it must have been for the atomic bomb to cut down on
flying glass. We'd go into the hallway and huddle on the floor... until the bomb
came? For a fire drill, we'd go outside.

At least fire drills were more useful. When I was in junior high, my school was
fire bombed. Since the alarm went off right when classes ended for the day, I
thought it was a pretty strange time to be having a fire drill. I sort of
ignored it and got my things out of my locker. When I went downstairs, the
hallways were all filled with smoke. Someone had thrown a molotov cocktail into
the school.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

One positive view of the tornado aftermath;

People getting together to clean up, and "fend for themselves".

What a refreshing contrast to New Orleand where folks are still
sitting on their duffs, whining; "Where's the gummint"

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Yes, and what a joke that was! Like a wooden school desk is really
> >> going to help if someone drops an atomic bomb in the vacinity.
> >>
> >> Just in case anyone else has tornadic (is that a word?) type
> >> weather, here's a hint. If your bathroom is in the middle of the
> >> house (sans windows, in other words) the bathtub is the safest place
> >> to ride out a twister. Why? Pipes in the walls. Take a flashlight,
> >> a blanket, a pillow or two and a cell phone if you have one. It's
> >> also a good idea to have a weather radio which will keep you
> >> apprised of the warning conditions and when the all clear is
> >> sounded... after all, how else are you going to know when it's safe
> >> to get out of the bathtub?! LOL

> > Partly true, the bathtub is the safest place absent a proper
> > reinforced storm room, but it has nothing to do with pipes in the
> > walls. A tornado launched 2x4 missile will blast through the pipes
> > just as easily as it will blast through brick (see Texas Tech storm
> > lab site for videos). If you have a fiberglass tub it also won't
> > provide much protection.
> >
> > What you want is a steel or cast iron tub, and you want to pull a
> > mattress over you. This keeps you as low as you can get sans basement,
> > provides padding to help shield you from falling debris and provides a
> > little side protection, but mostly it prevents you from being crushed
> > when the walls and/or roof fall in.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I've been through a couple tornados and the bathtub worked (for what it's
> worth). There are no basements in the southern U.S.; the water table is too
> high. It's like trying to hide from a hurricane on the coast or an
> earthquake in California. Doesn't work so well (Although I do live on
> the New Madrid fault and have been through an earthquake here - we are due
> for another one.)
>
> So you go to the inside room with the most stuff around to protect you. Oh,
> and take some snacks - cheese crackers and water, although you can use water
> from the toilet tank as drinking water if necessary.

No basement here either unfortunately. I will be building a tornado
bunker soon and it will be underground. The water table won't be an
issue since I'll be putting it in a location on a slight hill, enough
that I can provide a drain sloped to a pond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> One positive view of the tornado aftermath;
>
> People getting together to clean up, and "fend for themselves".
>
> What a refreshing contrast to New Orleand where folks are still
> sitting on their duffs, whining; "Where's the gummint"
>
> <rj>

Please don't get me started. There was a Memphis church that put together
funds from donations and bought a house for a "family" of alleged Katrina
victims. Gave it to them, free and clear. Turns out not only were they not
married, didn't have kids but they hadn't lost anything from a hurricane.
Scam artists extraordinaire. They turned around and sold the house for
about $10,000 (pure profit for them) then high tailed it before the members
of the church could come after them for recovery.

Jill