Loki

Default Fig Preserves

I got the full 2 quarts they ask for in the Ball Blue Book recipe for
these today. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge till tomorrow,
probably. Some were not totally ripe - broke off green at the top.

How much difference would it make if I went ahead and made the
preserves today? Most are fully ripe...

Loki
George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> I got the full 2 quarts they ask for in the Ball Blue Book recipe for
> these today. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge till tomorrow,
> probably. Some were not totally ripe - broke off green at the top.
>
> How much difference would it make if I went ahead and made the
> preserves today? Most are fully ripe...
>
> Loki

Probably not any difference at all as long as the majority are ripe
Loki. Won't hurt to wait until tomorrow either as the somewhat green
ones will ripen overnight. Don't wait too long though as they will also
mildew quickly, at least they do down here on the coast, even in the air
conditioning.

George, off to Houston to visit the descendants

Loki

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:58:20 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Loki wrote:
>> I got the full 2 quarts they ask for in the Ball Blue Book recipe for
>> these today. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge till tomorrow,
>> probably. Some were not totally ripe - broke off green at the top.
>>
>> How much difference would it make if I went ahead and made the
>> preserves today? Most are fully ripe...
>>
>> Loki

>Probably not any difference at all as long as the majority are ripe
>Loki. Won't hurt to wait until tomorrow either as the somewhat green
>ones will ripen overnight. Don't wait too long though as they will also
>mildew quickly, at least they do down here on the coast, even in the air
>conditioning.
>
>George, off to Houston to visit the descendants

They do that here as well - heck, some on the tree were covered in
mold.

Loki

Cow Whisperer

Loki, a friend of mine preps the figs, adds the sugar and then lets them set
for 24 hours in the frig. Her preserves are really good. If you are going
to chop them, the less ripe ones will be distributed within the riper ones
and won't make any difference. The less ripe ones will stay more whole.

"Loki" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:58:20 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>Loki wrote:
>>> I got the full 2 quarts they ask for in the Ball Blue Book recipe for
>>> these today. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge till tomorrow,
>>> probably. Some were not totally ripe - broke off green at the top.
>>>
>>> How much difference would it make if I went ahead and made the
>>> preserves today? Most are fully ripe...
>>>
>>> Loki

>>Probably not any difference at all as long as the majority are ripe
>>Loki. Won't hurt to wait until tomorrow either as the somewhat green
>>ones will ripen overnight. Don't wait too long though as they will also
>>mildew quickly, at least they do down here on the coast, even in the air
>>conditioning.
>>
>>George, off to Houston to visit the descendants

> They do that here as well - heck, some on the tree were covered in
> mold.
>
> Loki

Loki

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:56:13 -0500, "Cow Whisperer"
> wrote:

>Loki, a friend of mine preps the figs, adds the sugar and then lets them set
>for 24 hours in the frig. Her preserves are really good. If you are going
>to chop them, the less ripe ones will be distributed within the riper ones
>and won't make any difference. The less ripe ones will stay more whole.

I'm doing the fig preserves from the Ball Blue Book. It calls for
keeping them whole.

It does have a fig jam recipe but I didn't have enough figs to do a
whole recipe of that. Maybe in a day or two I will and I'll give it a
try then. That one calls for chopping them up but needs 5 lbs for a
whole recipe...

Loki

Judith Umbria

"Loki" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:56:13 -0500, "Cow Whisperer"
> > wrote:
>
> >Loki, a friend of mine preps the figs, adds the sugar and then lets them

set
> >for 24 hours in the frig.

.. Maybe in a day or two I will and I'll give it a
> try then. That one calls for chopping them up but needs 5 lbs for a
> whole recipe...
>
> Loki

Oh, please come to my garden! They are everywhere and I don't like them. I
feed them to my rooster, but he's no longer that interested, either.

Loki

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:44:32 GMT, "Judith Umbria" >
wrote:

>"Loki" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:56:13 -0500, "Cow Whisperer"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Loki, a friend of mine preps the figs, adds the sugar and then lets them

>set
>> >for 24 hours in the frig.

>. Maybe in a day or two I will and I'll give it a
>> try then. That one calls for chopping them up but needs 5 lbs for a
>> whole recipe...
>>
>> Loki

>Oh, please come to my garden! They are everywhere and I don't like them. I
>feed them to my rooster, but he's no longer that interested, either.

I wish I could! Uh, I think I wish I could. Uh, where are you?

Loki

Judith Umbria

"Loki" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:44:32 GMT, "Judith Umbria" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Loki" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:56:13 -0500, "Cow Whisperer"

them
> >set

> >Oh, please come to my garden! They are everywhere and I don't like them.

> >feed them to my rooster, but he's no longer that interested, either.

> I wish I could! Uh, I think I wish I could. Uh, where are you?
>
> Loki

Umbria!

Greg

can you please post this recipe i do not have the Ball Book
Virginia

Loki wrote:

> I got the full 2 quarts they ask for in the Ball Blue Book recipe for
> these today. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge till tomorrow,
> probably. Some were not totally ripe - broke off green at the top.
>
> How much difference would it make if I went ahead and made the
> preserves today? Most are fully ripe...
>
> Loki

TJ's Preserves James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 6 20-01-2017 05:31 AM
Strawberry preserves [email protected] Preserving 5 26-05-2008 12:34 PM
Ginger preserves ? Stef Preserving 24 01-10-2004 04:36 AM
What do you know about Tomato Preserves? Melba's Jammin' Preserving 21 24-09-2004 10:24 PM
Pear Preserves zxcvbob Preserving 0 03-09-2004 08:04 PM