Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TJ's Preserves

I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 1:02 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.

Sure it is. Rounded off from 500 grams. True conversion is 496.116655
grams 500g is actually 17.63698 oz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 1:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/4/2014 1:02 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
>> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
>> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
>> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.

> Sure it is. Rounded off from 500 grams. True conversion is 496.116655
> grams 500g is actually 17.63698 oz.

I wonder what the jar actually contains: 500g or 17.5oz?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 13:02:49 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.

I haven't noticed that at my TJ's yet... I usually buy their Seville
Orange Marmalade - did it change too? I checked my stash, but I have
Dundee at the moment and it's exactly 1lb (454g).

> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.

Like every other retailer, they're reducing the volume so customers
won't complain about a price hike.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2014 1:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/4/2014 1:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 7/4/2014 1:02 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
>>> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
>>> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
>>> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.

>> Sure it is. Rounded off from 500 grams. True conversion is 496.116655
>> grams 500g is actually 17.63698 oz.

> I wonder what the jar actually contains: 500g or 17.5oz?

If packed in Canada, I'd guess at 500g. I don't know all the
regulations, but there has to be some tolerance for rounding conversions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/4/2014 1:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 7/4/2014 1:02 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
>>> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
>>> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
>>> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.

>> Sure it is. Rounded off from 500 grams. True conversion is
>> 496.116655 grams 500g is actually 17.63698 oz.

> I wonder what the jar actually contains: 500g or 17.5oz?

If you're wondering about that, you have too much free time on your
hands.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 4, 2014 at 12:02:49 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> I noticed recently that Trader Joe's has a replaced their line of
> preserves with those from E.D. Smith of Winona, ON, Canada.
> The jams are pretty good but I wonder why they use 17.5oz jars? That
> doesn't seem any likely metric measure either.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Does TJ still carry the ED Smith line of preserves in stores in the midwest?

Strawberry preserves [email protected] Preserving 5 26-05-2008 12:34 PM
Fig Preserves Loki Preserving 8 02-08-2005 10:20 AM
Ginger preserves ? Stef Preserving 24 01-10-2004 04:36 AM
What do you know about Tomato Preserves? Melba's Jammin' Preserving 21 24-09-2004 10:24 PM
Pear Preserves zxcvbob Preserving 0 03-09-2004 08:04 PM