Stef

Default Ginger preserves ?

I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
finish it.

Is there a way to preserve it ?
With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?

Thanks

Stef
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stef
> wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stef

No vinegar, but here's one. I haven't made it in years.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Ginger Preserves

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

1 pound fresh gingerroot
2 cups sugar
Water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Peel gingerroots and cut into bite-size pieces. Soak peeled ginger in
cold water to cover for 1 hour. Drain and cover with fresh cold water.
Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, cover with fresh cold
water, and boil again for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve.
Combine sugar and 1 cup water and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or
until thick. Add gingerroot and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil and
boil for 2 minutes. Place in sterilized jars, seal, and store in a cool
place. (I water bathed for probably 10-15 minutes.) Makes three 6-oz.
jars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1552 Calories; 0g Fat (0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; 401g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 26 Fruit; 27 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Made for K Bachman, 1994

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stef
> wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stef

No vinegar, but here's one. I haven't made it in years.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Ginger Preserves

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

1 pound fresh gingerroot
2 cups sugar
Water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Peel gingerroots and cut into bite-size pieces. Soak peeled ginger in
cold water to cover for 1 hour. Drain and cover with fresh cold water.
Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, cover with fresh cold
water, and boil again for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve.
Combine sugar and 1 cup water and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or
until thick. Add gingerroot and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil and
boil for 2 minutes. Place in sterilized jars, seal, and store in a cool
place. (I water bathed for probably 10-15 minutes.) Makes three 6-oz.
jars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1552 Calories; 0g Fat (0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; 401g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 26 Fruit; 27 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Made for K Bachman, 1994

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Scott

In article >,
Stef > wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?

Freeze it.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Stef > wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?

Freeze it.

please mail OT responses only

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stef
> wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stef

I think people also stick it in dry sherry.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stef
> wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.
>
> Is there a way to preserve it ?
> With sugar and vinegar, like beets ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stef

I think people also stick it in dry sherry.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Brian Mailman

Stef wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.

Peel it and slice it up and cover it with sherry. That's a two-fer
because then you'll have ginger-flavored sherry.

B/
Brian Mailman

Stef wrote:

> I keep wasting the fresh ginger I buy because it spoils before I
> finish it.

Peel it and slice it up and cover it with sherry. That's a two-fer
because then you'll have ginger-flavored sherry.

B/

Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Ginger Preserves
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

> 1 pound fresh gingerroot
> 2 cups sugar
> Water
> 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

What's the cream of tartar for?

please mail OT responses only
zxcvbob

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>>
>> Ginger Preserves
>>
>>Recipe By :
>>Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 pound fresh gingerroot
>> 2 cups sugar
>> Water
>> 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

> What's the cream of tartar for?

I think it's to cause an inversion of some of the sugar from sucrose
into a mixture of glucose and fructose. This is desirable to help
prevent crystalization during storage. You could also use corn syrup
(often used in candymaking to prevent graininess), but I'm not sure how
much corn syrup it would take.

Bob
Elizabeth Naime

Ginger preserves are interesting. If it's about storing ginger for
future use in cooking and the sugar isn't a problem, how about
crystallised (sp?) ginger?

I dont' have an exact recipe for this, but used to make it. First step
as with the preserves, cut into smallish pieces and boil a bit. When you
change the water, cover the ginger with a sugar syrup and simmer for at
least half an hour, longer is just fine. Drain off the ginger as much as
you reasonably can, and put it in a dehydrator.

Only know that there is no spork.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Ginger Preserves
> >
> > Recipe By :
> > Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 pound fresh gingerroot
> > 2 cups sugar
> > Water
> > 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

> What's the cream of tartar for?

Beats me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Ginger Preserves
> >
> > Recipe By :
> > Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 pound fresh gingerroot
> > 2 cups sugar
> > Water
> > 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

> What's the cream of tartar for?

Beats me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Stef

Thanks, everyone

I'll try a few methods and see which one I like ...

Since I use ginger in "chinese like" recipes, I'll try freezing and
sherry methods first.
Scott

In article >,
Elizabeth Naime > wrote:

> I dont' have an exact recipe for this, but used to make it. First step
> as with the preserves, cut into smallish pieces and boil a bit. When you
> change the water, cover the ginger with a sugar syrup and simmer for at
> least half an hour, longer is just fine. Drain off the ginger as much as
> you reasonably can, and put it in a dehydrator.

I use a crockpot for crystalized ginger, and don't change the water:
sugar syrup from the get-go, put the crockpot on high for an hour or so,
the low overnight. I think not changing the water makes is more gingery.

please mail OT responses only
Robert & Edrena Jones

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Scott > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> > > Ginger Preserves

Sipped recipe
> What's the cream of tartar for?

> Beats me.
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Cream of tartar is acid - for preservation? Although ginger tastes pretty
hot, maybe it isn't really. Joy of Pickling has two recipes for pickled
ginger slices, want to to scan?
Edrena

Robert & Edrena Jones

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Elizabeth Naime > wrote:
> > I dont' have an exact recipe for this, but used to make it. First step
> > as with the preserves, cut into smallish pieces and boil a bit. When you
> > change the water, cover the ginger with a sugar syrup and simmer for at
> > least half an hour, longer is just fine. Drain off the ginger as much as
> > you reasonably can, and put it in a dehydrator.

> I use a crockpot for crystalized ginger, and don't change the water:
> sugar syrup from the get-go, put the crockpot on high for an hour or so,
> the low overnight. I think not changing the water makes is more gingery.

Here's a recipe & notes from that *other* newsgroup. Because it's very hot
here most of the time I keep my candied ginger in a mason jar in the freezer.
Edrena
I just made the below recipe. The candied ginger (I made slices)
is tender and gingery-hot. The directions are right on, but I
allowed ginger slices to dry several hours in dehydrator (they
will still be tacky) as shaking wet ginger in jar of sugar gave
me a great pile of wet sugar. It's great stuff tho - the leftover
sugar and sirup are wonderful. Started another batch tonite in
already used sirup, adding 1 more cup sugar. [Would have been better
to use fresh syrup mix. And thinner slices 1/4" rather than 3/8"
is better. The thicker ones are too strong] Wonder how a sprinkle
of that sugar would taste in my evening expresso? [Awful, tea is
better] Thanks "maxine in ri".
Edrena
>Actually, I think it came from Ann Hilguss on a mailing list. I
>just posted it, probably forgetting to give proper credit. My bad.
>maxine in ri

Makes about 1.5 pints or 1/2 llb.
1 lb fresh ginger
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
Crockpot or slowcooker
more sugar for coating

Peel and slice the ginger. I like 1/4" dice which are great for baking
and nibbling. Mix sugar, water and corn syrup and heat in crockpot
on high until dissolved. Add ginger, and reduce heat to simmer for
24 hours, til syrup is a golden brown. Allow to cool in syrup, then
drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice cream, or your other
favorite syrup uses. Toss the ginger in sugar until well coated, and
store in an airtight jar. I have the excess sugar in there with it, and
periodically use it to spice up my morning muesli. This recipe
produces crystalized ginger with a real kick, since you do not boil
and toss the water several times before simmering in the syrup.

Scott

In article >,
Robert & Edrena Jones > wrote:

> The directions are right on, but I allowed ginger slices to dry
> several hours in dehydrator (they will still be tacky) as shaking wet
> ginger in jar of sugar gave me a great pile of wet sugar.

Forgot that part--I use a dehydrator at the end, also.

> Allow to cool in syrup, then drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice
> cream, or your other favorite syrup uses.

Makes a good ginger ale when combined with seltzer.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Robert & Edrena Jones > wrote:

> The directions are right on, but I allowed ginger slices to dry
> several hours in dehydrator (they will still be tacky) as shaking wet
> ginger in jar of sugar gave me a great pile of wet sugar.

Forgot that part--I use a dehydrator at the end, also.

> Allow to cool in syrup, then drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice
> cream, or your other favorite syrup uses.

Makes a good ginger ale when combined with seltzer.

please mail OT responses only
Brian Mailman

Robert & Edrena Jones wrote:

> Peel and slice the ginger.

Seen a couple times on the Food Network (maybe PBS and AMerica's Test
Kitchen?) best way to peel ginger is with the side of a teaspoon.

B/
Brian Mailman