General (rec.food.drink) For general discussions related to drink that are NOT appropriate for other forums.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Hildegard Cassiers
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Tempeh smoothie
Total servings: 2

Ingredients

1 ripe banana, peeled
5 oranges, squeezed
80 g fresh tempeh

Directions

Very easy: mix all ingredients until smooth. You can add some water to
make it thinner or sugar to make it sweeter. We find that if you mix the
tempeh first with some water you can get a smoother drink.

Very healthy and lots of nutrients! Tempeh should be very fresh with no
off-flavours. If you are not sure about the quality of tempeh you should
first steam it for 10 minutes and cool it.
From: http://www.tempeh.info


--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Mark Thorson
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Hildegard Cassiers wrote:

Very healthy and lots of nutrients! Tempeh should be very fresh with
no off-flavours. If you are not sure about the quality of tempeh you
should first steam it for 10 minutes and cool it.


There is NOTHING healthful about tempeh! Vitamin B-12
analogs, such as those found in tempeh and certain other foods,
may pose a health risk.

Quoting from "Vitamin B-12: Plant Sources, Requirements,
and Assay" by Victor Herbert, _American_Journal_of_
_Clinical_Nutrition_, 1988, volume 48, page 857:

"Vitamin B-12 is of singular interest in any discussion
of vegetarian diets because this vitamin is not found
in plant foods as are other vitamins. Confusion about
what sources may yield vitamin B-12 to strict vegetarians
has arisen because the standard US Pharmacopeia (USP)
assay for vitamin B-12 does not assay only vitamin B-12.
In the USP method the content of vitamin B-12 of any given
food is determined by making a water extract of that food
and feeding the extract to a bacterium (_Lactobacillus_
_leichmannii_). The quantity of vitamin B-12 is
determined by the amount of bacterial growth. The problem
is that what is active vitamin B-12 for bacteria is not
necessarily active vitamin B-12 for humans. Many of the
papers in the literature give values of vitamin B-12 in
food that are false because as much as 80% of the activity
by this method is due to inactive analogues of vitamin
B-12."

"We studied several types of tempeh, including Original
Soy Tempeh, a _Rhizobus_oligosporus_ culture with a label
claim of 160% of the US RDA for vitamin B-12 per 4 oz.
Using the differential radioassay we found there was
practically no vitamin B-12 in it."

"We also studied most of the spirulinas sold in health
food stores as sources of vitamin B-12; there is
practically no vitamin B-12 in them. The so-called
vitamin B-12 is almost exclusively analogues of vitamin
B-12 and we have extracted the two largest peaks of
analogues and they actually block vitamin B-12 metabolism.
We suspect that people taking spirulina as a source
of vitamin B-12 may get vitamin B-12 deficiency quicker
because the analogues in the product block human
mammalian cell metabolism in culture and we suspect
they will also do this in the living human. Remember
that the label claim of vitamin B-12 is actually a
claim of corrinoid content, not vitamin B-12 content."



  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Hildegard Cassiers
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

1) I eat tempeh daily and I feel very healthy
2) Tempeh does not contain vitamin B12 analogs, unless it's contaminated
with bacteria. I make tempeh under hygienic conditions and it does
contain no bacteria, no vitamin B12 and no anologs. Vegans who need
vitamin B12 should take supplements.
3) Tempeh is very healthy and used safely for more than hundred years as
protein source in Indonesia. I can't find any reference about people
getting sick from eating tempeh.


--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Mark Thorson
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Hildegard Cassiers wrote:

1) I eat tempeh daily and I feel very healthy


That does not mean you don't have organ damage,
or other adverse effects that have not made you
acutely ill yet. Cancer, for example, usually cannot
be felt until it is in a very advanced stage.

2) Tempeh does not contain vitamin B12 analogs, unless it's
contaminated with bacteria. I make tempeh under hygienic
conditions and it does contain no bacteria, no vitamin B12
and no anologs. Vegans who need vitamin B12 should take
supplements.


Tempeh has been analyzed using reliable scientific methods,
and it indeed does contain vitamin B-12 analogs. On what basis
do you claim that your tempeh does not contain B-12 analogs?
Has your tempeh been analyzed, or are you just making this
assertion with no factual information to back it up?

3) Tempeh is very healthy and used safely for more than hundred
years as protein source in Indonesia. I can't find any reference
about people getting sick from eating tempeh.


Tobacco was used by the native Americans for thousands
of years, and they were completely unaware it posed any
health hazards. Historical use is no guarantee that a food
product does not contain hidden dangers.




  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

"Hildegard Cassiers" wrote in message news:[email protected] e.mailgate.org...
1) I eat tempeh daily and I feel very healthy
2) Tempeh does not contain vitamin B12 analogs, unless it's contaminated
with bacteria. I make tempeh under hygienic conditions and it does
contain no bacteria, no vitamin B12 and no anologs. Vegans who need
vitamin B12 should take supplements.
3) Tempeh is very healthy and used safely for more than hundred years as
protein source in Indonesia. I can't find any reference about people
getting sick from eating tempeh.



I'll second that. I have been eating tempeh for close to 24 years on
a regular basis. I have had no health problems. Neither have the
millions of Asians who must have beene eating it for centuries.

Steve


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Mark Thorson
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Steve wrote:

I'll second that. I have been eating tempeh for close to 24 years
on a regular basis. I have had no health problems. Neither have
the millions of Asians who must have beene eating it for centuries.


The same argument could have been used 100 years ago
for tobacco. All those Indians smoked it, and it didn't hurt
them, right?



  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Hildegard Cassiers
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message


The same argument could have been used 100 years ago
for tobacco. All those Indians smoked it, and it didn't hurt
them, right?


That's wrong. Tobacco did a lot of damage and killed a lot of those
indians.

Mark, could you please tell me why you are so negative about soy? If you
work for the dairy or meat industry I might understand.



--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Hildegard Cassiers
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message


Tempeh has been analyzed using reliable scientific methods,
and it indeed does contain vitamin B-12 analogs. On what basis
do you claim that your tempeh does not contain B-12 analogs?
Has your tempeh been analyzed, or are you just making this
assertion with no factual information to back it up?



http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Here you can read that the tempeh mold (Rhizopus) does not produce
vitamin B12. It's produced by contaminating bacteria. I use a pure
culture of rhizopus, no bacteria!


--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Mark Thorson
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Hildegard Cassiers wrote:

Mark, could you please tell me why you are so negative about soy?
If you work for the dairy or meat industry I might understand.


I'm not negative about soy. Soy is a great food for most
people, especially vegetarians.

Why do you automatically assume I've got a vested interest
in the milk or dairy industry? Do you routinely see conspiracies
around every corner?

I am against promotion of tempeh without also warning
consumers about the possible health risks. Why are you
trying to suppress that information? I believe consumers
should be given complete information so they can make
informed decisions, especially when those decisions may
adversely affect their health.




  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

Mark Thorson wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:

I'll second that. I have been eating tempeh for close to 24 years
on a regular basis. I have had no health problems. Neither have
the millions of Asians who must have beene eating it for centuries.


The same argument could have been used 100 years ago
for tobacco. All those Indians smoked it, and it didn't hurt
them, right?


From what I have heard ( and I could be wrong ) Native Americans only
used tobacco in ceremonies, they did not have the accompanying 6
dozen toxic chemicals added to their tobacco, and they didn't add
nicotine to it either

If I sound unimpressed with you quoting the summary of a study ( a
single one?, by whom?) you read its because in a few months I will
have been a vegetarian for 25 years.

Nutrition has been a hobby of mine in all that time as well.

I've seen nutrition scares, theories, special diets etc come and go
more frequently then women's fashions.

The only thing that has endured over that 25 years is my excellent
health as a tempeh eating vegetarian.

I'm sorry, you will just have to do better to get me concerned about
this issue.

No offense

Steve


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Michael Black
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tempeh smoothie

(Steve) wrote in message m...
Mark Thorson wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:

I'll second that. I have been eating tempeh for close to 24 years
on a regular basis. I have had no health problems. Neither have
the millions of Asians who must have beene eating it for centuries.


The same argument could have been used 100 years ago
for tobacco. All those Indians smoked it, and it didn't hurt
them, right?


From what I have heard ( and I could be wrong ) Native Americans only
used tobacco in ceremonies, they did not have the accompanying 6
dozen toxic chemicals added to their tobacco, and they didn't add
nicotine to it either

If I sound unimpressed with you quoting the summary of a study ( a
single one?, by whom?) you read its because in a few months I will
have been a vegetarian for 25 years.

Nutrition has been a hobby of mine in all that time as well.

I've seen nutrition scares, theories, special diets etc come and go
more frequently then women's fashions.

The only thing that has endured over that 25 years is my excellent
health as a tempeh eating vegetarian.

I'm sorry, you will just have to do better to get me concerned about
this issue.

No offense

Steve


It's sometime next year that I hit the quarter century mark. I can't
say I'm a regular tempeh eater, but that's because I don't find
the taste and texture so appealing, so I have it only once in a while.
(Though, I would like to make it sometime, and that might increase
my intake.)

But there's two things here. One is an assumption that health
is the reason for vegetarianism. It is in some cases, but I could
simply never stomach eating animals, so I stopped as soon as I could.

I suspect people who are make big food decisions based on health
might give this "study" more importance.

But realistically, there is a study for just about everything that
"proves" it is unhealthy, and usually a similar study proving
the same item is healthy. Maybe there is some truth to this
particular study, but I can't believe that suddenly tempeh
is found to be so unhealthy that everyone should stop eating it.
Things don't work that black and white. Even smoking, which can't
be good for people, is an accumulative thing and so people who smoke
tend to live with it. The way these studies are often presented,
it becomes imperative that people not eat them, which can't be
the case.

There is a certain segment of the population that tends to worry,
and they react to such studies, without a lot of study or even
consideration to the fact that people have eaten the "dangerous"
food item for a very long time. This week's concern gets passed
around as gospel, yet there isn't much to back it up as to
the level of concern, since the passers are just concerned rather
than by degree. These things that suddenly arise, you can't
even be sure if they are simply garbled by someone who reads
the thing and passes it on.

Michael


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Healthy smoothie recipe : durian smoothie TheSkinnyCook General Cooking 10 19-01-2007 05:30 AM
Healthy smoothie recipe : durian smoothie TheSkinnyCook Recipes 1 09-01-2007 02:13 PM
Healthy smoothie recipe : durian smoothie TheSkinnyCook Asian Cooking 0 09-01-2007 10:22 AM
I just ate some very old tempeh ! brugnospamsia Vegetarian cooking 3 24-03-2005 06:21 AM
Any tempeh makers here? Viviane Vegetarian cooking 0 19-01-2005 11:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017