Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Healthy smoothie recipe : durian smoothie

If you want to go on a smoothie diet, then use this healthy recipe as a
replacement for a meal (2 times the ingredients will fill you up...)
If you never ate durian before, we suggest you start of with a Thai
durian.
If you need to visit clients and customers, drink this smoothie after
work ...

See picture at:
http://www.smoothierecipe.org/200701...oothie-recipe/

Ingredients

* 5 1/4 ounce (150 gr) durian (5 "seeds")
* 2 ounce (about 60 gr) yogurt
* 0.35 ounce (10 gr) brown sugar (2 teaspoons)
* 3.5 ounce (100 gr) ice-cubes
* 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Preparation

1. Place all ingredients in the cup of an electric blender, milkshake
maker or food processor and
blend until smooth.
If you only have a mixer, then use a mortar to crush the ice before
mixing it.

2. If you set to rest your durian smoothie 1 hour in the freezer,
you will have low fat diet durian ice-cream!

Enjoy!
TheSkinnyCook
http://www.smoothierecipe.org

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheSkinnyCook wrote:
> If you want to go on a smoothie diet, then use this healthy recipe as
> a replacement for a meal (2 times the ingredients will fill you up...)
> If you never ate durian before, we suggest you start of with a Thai
> durian.

And if you've never smelled Durian before, be prepared to wear an oxygen
mask

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> And if you've never smelled Durian before, be prepared to wear an oxygen
> mask

I'd seen discussion of durian here but never come across one in real
life before a few weeks ago. I was in Calgary at the Super Store. (For
those have never been, the place is a treat, like 10 specialty ethnic
groceries stores packed into one giant supermarket.) I saw the sign
saying durian before I located the actual item: a big brown spiky thing,
like the vegetable equivalent of a porcupine.

I'd heard about the smell so I approached cautiously and put my nose up
to it. I couldn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Is it a deal
where the odor is released when it is cut into?

I was dying to buy it to see what it was about, but my in-laws are
extremely non-experimental when it comes to food, and I never would have
gotten away with it.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> And if you've never smelled Durian before, be prepared to wear an
>> oxygen mask

> I'd seen discussion of durian here but never come across one in real
> life before a few weeks ago. I was in Calgary at the Super Store.
> (For those have never been, the place is a treat, like 10 specialty
> ethnic groceries stores packed into one giant supermarket.) I saw
> the sign saying durian before I located the actual item: a big brown
> spiky thing, like the vegetable equivalent of a porcupine.

Yep, until it's peeled it does sort of look like that.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/

> I'd heard about the smell so I approached cautiously and put my nose
> up to it. I couldn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Is it a
> deal where the odor is released when it is cut into?

Yes indeed! When I lived in Bangkok, they'd cut it into halves or quarters
to sell. When you went to the outdoor markets you could smell the durian
from a block away. The best I can compare the smell to is really unwashed
gym socks (or limburger cheese). Surprising! considering the fruit is sweet
and mild tasting. I gather it's sort of a natural defense mechanism (maybe
to save it from the monkeys).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Surprising! considering the fruit is sweet
> and mild tasting. I gather it's sort of a natural defense mechanism (maybe
> to save it from the monkeys).

Generally flowering plants evolve sweet smelling and sweet tasting fruit
in order to encourage animals to eat them and dispel the seeds. (Or
rather, that's the way it happens, not that the plant thought out the
strategy and did it on purpose.) I can't figure out what a sweet taste
but a putrid smell would work for.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> Surprising! considering the fruit is sweet
> > and mild tasting. I gather it's sort of a natural defense mechanism (maybe
> > to save it from the monkeys).

> Generally flowering plants evolve sweet smelling and sweet tasting fruit
> in order to encourage animals to eat them and dispel the seeds. (Or
> rather, that's the way it happens, not that the plant thought out the
> strategy and did it on purpose.) I can't figure out what a sweet taste
> but a putrid smell would work for.

There are flowers that smell rotten. They attract flies to pollinate
them.

Don't know about durian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:19:41 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>Surprising! considering the fruit is sweet
>> and mild tasting. I gather it's sort of a natural defense mechanism (maybe
>> to save it from the monkeys).

>Generally flowering plants evolve sweet smelling and sweet tasting fruit
>in order to encourage animals to eat them and dispel the seeds. (Or
>rather, that's the way it happens, not that the plant thought out the
>strategy and did it on purpose.) I can't figure out what a sweet taste
>but a putrid smell would work for.
>

>--Lia

Read David Quammen's essay on durian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I'd heard about the smell so I approached cautiously and put my nose up
> to it. I couldn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Is it a deal
> where the odor is released when it is cut into?

Yes, but evidently there are some non-stinky varieties.

> I was dying to buy it to see what it was about, but my in-laws are
> extremely non-experimental when it comes to food, and I never would have
> gotten away with it.

When I read the descriptions below, all I could think of was "Why would
anyone want to eat it?" Sometimes experimentation isn't worth it.
There are so many delicious fruits that don't stink....

"There are some odorless cultivars but the flesh of the common durian
has a powerful odor which reminded the plant explorer, Otis W. Barrett,
of combined cheese, decayed onion and turpentine, or "garlic, Limburger
cheese and some spicy sort of resin" but he said that after eating a
bit of the pulp "the odor is scarcely noticed." The nature of the flesh
is more complex-in the words of Alfred Russel Wallace (much-quoted), it
is "a rich custard highly flavored with almonds . . . but there are
occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream cheese,
onion-sauce, sherry wine and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a
rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but
which adds to its delicacy. It is neither acid, nor sweet, nor juicy;
yet it wants none of these qualities, for it is in itself perfect. It
produces no nausea or other bad effect, and the more you eat of it the
less you feel inclined to stop." (The Treasury of Botany, Vol. 1, p.
435). Barrett described the flavor as "triplex in effect, first a
strong aromatic taste, followed by a delicious sweet flavor, then a
strange resinous or balsam-like taste of exquisite but persistent
savor." An American chemist working at the U.S. Rubber Plantations in
Sumatra in modem times, was at first reluctant to try eating durian,
was finally persuaded and became enthusiastic, declaring it to be
"absolutely delicious", something like "a concoction of ice cream,
onions, spices, and bananas, all mixed together."
from:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...urian_ars.html

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. > wrote:
>When I read the descriptions below, all I could think of was "Why would
>anyone want to eat it?" Sometimes experimentation isn't worth it.
>There are so many delicious fruits that don't stink....

Yeah, but this one is kinda worth it.

Smells like rotting fruit and onions. Tastes like banana
melon custard.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> I'd heard about the smell so I approached cautiously and put my nose up
> to it. I couldn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Is it a deal
> where the odor is released when it is cut into?

Around here (Minnesota; likely other places, too), durian quite
often are sold frozen or near-frozen to minimize the smell in the
market.

> I was dying to buy it to see what it was about, but my in-laws are
> extremely non-experimental when it comes to food, and I never would have
> gotten away with it.

Not with durian, no. I tried durian once during a trip to Singapore.
I'd heard about it. I knew that Singapore does not allow durian on
the subways (pictographs of spiky fruit with the international red
circle and "don't" slash through it). I had to try it. We ordered a
durian milk shake. It did, indeed, smell like used gym socks
containing fermented cheese. It tasted a little sweet, but
onion/fermented cheese overtones to the sweetness were just too much
and the remainder of the shake was tossed once we were out of sight
of the hawker's stall.

At least we tried it.

sd

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> And if you've never smelled Durian before, be prepared to wear an oxygen
> mask

it's all in the mind. If you think sweet custard, or sweet icecream or
sweet fruit, you can eat it. If you start thinking socks, then you are
out before you try, and that's a real pitty.

The Thai durian has less smell compared to the Malaysian one. Thai
durians are exported to Holland, so maybe also to Vancouver, that could
explain why no durian smell.

In malaysia the durian sellers need to give customers a taste,
so just by putting your nose in the air,
you know who is selling durians
(but you must be blind not to see the big fresh fruits...).

Try before you buy!

Stef
Quick dinner recipes at:
http://www.theskinnycook.com