Posted to rec.food.cooking
Virginia Tadrzynski Virginia Tadrzynski is offline

Default high school cafeteria burgers

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On 7 Aug 2006 02:29:39 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
> wrote:
>
> >I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> >that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> >kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> >to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> >Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
> >
> >These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> >*think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> >Can anyone help out with this one?

> I went to high school in the early 70s. I'm not aware of the presence
> of any dead animals in those burgers. Just soy and lots of pepper.
>
> Carol

the illustrious 'mystery meat' burgers. The truth to the mystery was it
wasn't meat!!!! It was soylent green!!!!!!!Whaddaya think they did with the
slackers that just never seemed to graduate but one day "poof" just weren't
there anymore and no one knew what happened to them!!!!! Gawd I loved the
70's.....
-ginny
(Richmond Senior High - Class of '79)