Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christopher Helms Christopher Helms is offline

Default high school cafeteria burgers

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?

If I remember correctly, the cafeteria I was stuck in bought frozen
hamburger patties from an outfit that used some kind of soy product to
stretch their meat dollar, in a Hamburger Helper sort of way, but it
wasn't pure soy at the time. I don't recall the meat as being
particularly bad tasting, but the buns were frequently half stale.
Today, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what's being served or the
quality or taste of it.