Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Space Boss The Space Boss is offline

Default high school cafeteria burgers

Derek Lyons wrote:

> Much also depends on what *part* of the animal is used. I.E. the
> stuff used in the cheap burgers bought by the school system isn't a
> part of the animal in great demand down at the local Megamart.

When I worked at Jack in the Box, the meat had a different taste than
other places. Oh, they were GREAT burgers, just tasted like they were
seasoned a little different, or something (actually, it probably had a
LOT to do with the vented, steel "warmers" that the patties were stored
on until use.. they would continue to cook the meat as they sat right
on the grill, and the grease would drip through the holes creating
smoke that would season the meat.. good stuff). We even had customers
enquire as to whether the patties were 100% pure beef. When I first
started working there, I asked the shift leader what she would say if
asked if they were 100% pure beef, and she said she'd say "As far as I
know they are".

(For the record, they WERE 100% pure beef).