Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outside round roast

How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
advice....lol...)....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0400, biig > wrote:

> How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
>advice....lol...)....Sharon

LOL!

Round roast on the grill. That sounds kinda scary to me. Round is
usually cooked slowly, with water. I'd probably cook it in the crock
pot until it was tender, then toss it on the grill to crisp the
outside up and get a little flavor going. Maybe brush it with olive
or other oil first, to help it brown? Onions in the crock pot, too.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0400, biig > wrote:
>
> > How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
> >advice....lol...)....Sharon

> LOL!
>
> Round roast on the grill. That sounds kinda scary to me. Round is
> usually cooked slowly, with water. I'd probably cook it in the crock
> pot until it was tender, then toss it on the grill to crisp the
> outside up and get a little flavor going. Maybe brush it with olive
> or other oil first, to help it brown? Onions in the crock pot, too.
>
> Carol

Do it on the grill. Indirect heat. Rub if you want but I don't.
First I whack it off over direct heat to get it nice and browned all
over. Then move to indirect heat and do it very slowly; never more
than 300 degrees. Put a pan under to catch drippings. Add some
moisture by placing a pan of water beside the round roast. Don't do it
well done. Medium rare is good. It's not the best cut for what you
intend to do; in essence you are using your outdoor grill as an oven.
As Carol says it should have a liquid i.e. an oven pot roast would be
ideal(and superior to doing it on the grill; however have a go at it).
It's not really a cut of meat made for dry roasting. If you want
further suggestions take this topic over to the barbecue newsgroup.
Also for some smokey flavour add wood chips soaked in water to the heat
source; lava or whatever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0400, biig > wrote:
>
> > How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
> >advice....lol...)....Sharon

> LOL!
>
> Round roast on the grill. That sounds kinda scary to me. Round is
> usually cooked slowly, with water. I'd probably cook it in the crock
> pot until it was tender, then toss it on the grill to crisp the
> outside up and get a little flavor going. Maybe brush it with olive
> or other oil first, to help it brown? Onions in the crock pot, too.
>
> Carol

I've always done this type of roast in the slow cooker, but was
hoping it would be possible on the grill. I've just gotten our grill
back in service after several years and have gone sorta loco doing
almost everything on it, including biscuits. I guess I'll do the slow
cooker thing again. It's hot here and I'll put it outside so I don't
heat up the kitchen. So far we haven't used the a/c. Hydro (electric
to our southern neighbours) has gone up 20 percent, but my pension has
not...... Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jimmy wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0400, biig > wrote:
> >
> > > How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
> > >advice....lol...)....Sharon

> > LOL!
> >
> > Round roast on the grill. That sounds kinda scary to me. Round is
> > usually cooked slowly, with water. I'd probably cook it in the crock
> > pot until it was tender, then toss it on the grill to crisp the
> > outside up and get a little flavor going. Maybe brush it with olive
> > or other oil first, to help it brown? Onions in the crock pot, too.
> >
> > Carol

> Do it on the grill. Indirect heat. Rub if you want but I don't.
> First I whack it off over direct heat to get it nice and browned all
> over. Then move to indirect heat and do it very slowly; never more
> than 300 degrees. Put a pan under to catch drippings. Add some
> moisture by placing a pan of water beside the round roast. Don't do it
> well done. Medium rare is good. It's not the best cut for what you
> intend to do; in essence you are using your outdoor grill as an oven.
> As Carol says it should have a liquid i.e. an oven pot roast would be
> ideal(and superior to doing it on the grill; however have a go at it).
> It's not really a cut of meat made for dry roasting. If you want
> further suggestions take this topic over to the barbecue newsgroup.
> Also for some smokey flavour add wood chips soaked in water to the heat
> source; lava or whatever.

Thanks Jimmy. After reading yours and Dams's posts I don't think I'll
risk doing it on the grill. BUT.... I think I'll pick up a pork roast
next grocery trip.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Thanks Jimmy. After reading yours and Dams's posts I don't think I'll
> risk doing it on the grill. BUT.... I think I'll pick up a pork roast
> next grocery trip.....Sharon

Well, I did the roast in the slow cooker. First, browned it in evoo
and butter. It smelled so good I sliced a bit off to taste. It was an
amazing flavour. No seasonings at all, and all I added was a can of no
name beef consomme, and some water. Let it simmer for about 6 hours,
then added some potatoes and a couple of whole vidalia onions for an
hour. No extra herbs or spices. Made gravy from the juices. Yum....the
best roast I've had in my many years.......One thing I wondered about
the vidalias, though. They look a lot like the cippolini (SP?) onions,
only larger. Does anyone know if they are a similar breed????
......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:25:54 -0400, biig > wrote:

>Well, I did the roast in the slow cooker. First, browned it in evoo
>and butter. It smelled so good I sliced a bit off to taste. It was an
>amazing flavour. No seasonings at all, and all I added was a can of no
>name beef consomme, and some water. Let it simmer for about 6 hours,
>then added some potatoes and a couple of whole vidalia onions for an
>hour. No extra herbs or spices. Made gravy from the juices. Yum....the
>best roast I've had in my many years.

I think that browning the meat well before slow cooking it makes all
the difference in the world. Glad it turned out so well!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:25:54 -0400, biig > wrote:
>
> >Well, I did the roast in the slow cooker. First, browned it in evoo
> >and butter. It smelled so good I sliced a bit off to taste. It was an
> >amazing flavour. No seasonings at all, and all I added was a can of no
> >name beef consomme, and some water. Let it simmer for about 6 hours,
> >then added some potatoes and a couple of whole vidalia onions for an
> >hour. No extra herbs or spices. Made gravy from the juices. Yum....the
> >best roast I've had in my many years.

> I think that browning the meat well before slow cooking it makes all
> the difference in the world. Glad it turned out so well!
>
> Carol

And I forgot to mention how tender it was....I've never had such good
results from this cut. It was on sale for 1.99 Cdn. and I only bought
two.....have to make another trip to the store before the sale is over.
..........Sharon