Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eye of Round Roast

I've got a 6 pound eye of round roast. Since I'm cooking it on a charcoal cooker I cannot maintain a consistent oven temperature, therefore I was hoping someone could give me an internal temperature to know when it's done.

I'm trying something new, I'm making a 'pseudo-pastrami'. It will be soaked in brine for 3 days, keep in fridge for one day uncovered then put into the cooker. I'm guessing the oven temp might be 300-350 F.

Since it's lean, I was also thinking of smoking it for two hours then steam until done, either way, I know to take a packer cut brisket off when it reaches 192, but I'm guessing the E of R roast won't need that high of an internal to reach tenderness point.

~Michael
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT), "The Practical BBQ'r!"
> wrote:

>I've got a 6 pound eye of round roast. Since I'm cooking it on a charcoal cooker I cannot maintain a consistent oven temperature, therefore I was hoping someone could give me an internal temperature to know when it's done.
>
>I'm trying something new, I'm making a 'pseudo-pastrami'. It will be soaked in brine for 3 days, keep in fridge for one day uncovered then put into the cooker. I'm guessing the oven temp might be 300-350 F.
>
>Since it's lean, I was also thinking of smoking it for two hours then steam until done, either way, I know to take a packer cut brisket off when it reaches 192, but I'm guessing the E of R roast won't need that high of an internal to reach tenderness point.

I'd slice it in half, 3 lb eye rounds are much easier to manage... and
you may want to consider using half for cutlets. Be careful not to
over cook or you'll have cardboard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2015 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Maybe pop it into
> a preheated 500F oven for a few minutes when you're done smoking it.

Could do that with YOUR fat ass for sure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2015 6:29 PM, The Practical BBQ'r! wrote:
> I've got a 6 pound eye of round roast. Since I'm cooking it on a charcoal cooker I cannot maintain a consistent oven temperature, therefore I was hoping someone could give me an internal temperature to know when it's done.

Sure - 135F then rest it under heavy foil for 20 minutes.

> I'm trying something new, I'm making a 'pseudo-pastrami'. It will be soaked in brine for 3 days, keep in fridge for one day uncovered then put into the cooker. I'm guessing the oven temp might be 300-350 F.
>
> Since it's lean, I was also thinking of smoking it for two hours then steam until done, either way, I know to take a packer cut brisket off when it reaches 192, but I'm guessing the E of R roast won't need that high of an internal to reach tenderness point.
>
> ~Michael

Safe guess, it's lean with almost no fat or connective tissues - take it
slow and low.

135F