Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jimmy Jimmy is offline

Default Outside round roast

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0400, biig > wrote:
>
> > How would you folks do it up for the gas grill (See Dams, I took your
> >advice....lol...)....Sharon

> LOL!
>
> Round roast on the grill. That sounds kinda scary to me. Round is
> usually cooked slowly, with water. I'd probably cook it in the crock
> pot until it was tender, then toss it on the grill to crisp the
> outside up and get a little flavor going. Maybe brush it with olive
> or other oil first, to help it brown? Onions in the crock pot, too.
>
> Carol

Do it on the grill. Indirect heat. Rub if you want but I don't.
First I whack it off over direct heat to get it nice and browned all
over. Then move to indirect heat and do it very slowly; never more
than 300 degrees. Put a pan under to catch drippings. Add some
moisture by placing a pan of water beside the round roast. Don't do it
well done. Medium rare is good. It's not the best cut for what you
intend to do; in essence you are using your outdoor grill as an oven.
As Carol says it should have a liquid i.e. an oven pot roast would be
ideal(and superior to doing it on the grill; however have a go at it).
It's not really a cut of meat made for dry roasting. If you want
further suggestions take this topic over to the barbecue newsgroup.
Also for some smokey flavour add wood chips soaked in water to the heat
source; lava or whatever.