Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Cottage Dill Loaf

This is such a delicious bread! Mom used to make it all the time.
Unfortunately, I never got her recipe. At one of my employers, I
worked with a woman who turned out to have been one of Mom's
co-workers, and she had the recipe! So this is very special to me. If
only I had some yeast - there's volunteer dill growing all over the
yard from last year. LOL!

I hope someone tries and enjoys this bread. It's wonderful.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cottage Dill Loaf

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 packet active dry yeast (package)
1/2 cup warm water -- 105-115 degrees
1/2 cup cottage cheese -- drained well
1 tablespoon butter
1 large egg -- beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dill seed
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour -- unsifted

Soften yeast in warm water.

Heat cottage cheese and butter until lukewarm.

Combine cottage cheese mixture, egg, onion, sugar, dill seed, salt, and
baking soda; mix well. Stir in softened yeast.

Add wheat germ and up to 2 cups flour gradually to make stiff dough,
beating well. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size.

Stir down. Knead on lightly floured board about 1 minute. Pat evenly
in well greased 9 inch layer cake pan at least 2 inches deep. Let rise
until double in size.

Bake at 350ºF until done and well browned, about 40 minutes. Remove
from pan; cool on wire rack. Serve warm.

Source:
"Pat Zastera (Carol's Mom)"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 3g Fat (17.6%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
25mg Cholesterol; 533mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> This is such a delicious bread! Mom used to make it all the time.
> Unfortunately, I never got her recipe. At one of my employers, I
> worked with a woman who turned out to have been one of Mom's
> co-workers, and she had the recipe! So this is very special to me. If
> only I had some yeast - there's volunteer dill growing all over the
> yard from last year. LOL!

How much fresh dillweed would you use? [snipped recipe called for 1
Tbsp dill seed] I have dill all over the place.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > This is such a delicious bread! Mom used to make it all the time.
> > Unfortunately, I never got her recipe. At one of my employers, I
> > worked with a woman who turned out to have been one of Mom's
> > co-workers, and she had the recipe! So this is very special to me. If
> > only I had some yeast - there's volunteer dill growing all over the
> > yard from last year. LOL!

> How much fresh dillweed would you use? [snipped recipe called for 1
> Tbsp dill seed] I have dill all over the place.

I'm really not sure. I've only made this a couple times, and that was
with Mom, who's been gone for 22 years now. Hopefully, someone more
knowledgabe than myself will come along with the answer.

I harvested my dill seeds last year, and have enough for an average
lifetime. The plan was for pickles, but you know me and plans.

Carol, who finally made the coffee cake and chocolate oatmeal cake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 03 Jul 2006 05:41:56p, zxcvbob meant to say...

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> This is such a delicious bread! Mom used to make it all the time.
>> Unfortunately, I never got her recipe. At one of my employers, I
>> worked with a woman who turned out to have been one of Mom's
>> co-workers, and she had the recipe! So this is very special to me. If
>> only I had some yeast - there's volunteer dill growing all over the
>> yard from last year. LOL!
>>

> How much fresh dillweed would you use? [snipped recipe called for 1
> Tbsp dill seed] I have dill all over the place.

Generally, 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs equal one teaspoon of dry. However, 3
tablespoons of fresh dill does seem excessive in this recipe. Perhaps try 1-
1/2 to 2 tablespoons.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:
Cottage Dill Loaf

> Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
> Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 packet active dry yeast (package)
> 1/2 cup warm water -- 105-115 degrees
> 1/2 cup cottage cheese -- drained well

How about fat-free (still wet, rather than 'dry cottage cheese'). And
what if you rinsed it and drained it? Any thoughts?

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:48:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article . com>,
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:
> Cottage Dill Loaf
>>
>> Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
>> Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 packet active dry yeast (package)
>> 1/2 cup warm water -- 105-115 degrees
>> 1/2 cup cottage cheese -- drained well

>How about fat-free (still wet, rather than 'dry cottage cheese'). And
>what if you rinsed it and drained it? Any thoughts?

I don't know why fat-free wouldn't work. I'm not a bread baker, so
don't take my word for anything.

This is yummy bread. If you like it, feel free to enter it in the
State Fair. I'd feel so good if Mom's bread won a ribbon!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > This is such a delicious bread!

> How much fresh dillweed would you use?

I hear some say one can never have too much dill dough.

Sheldon