Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] is offline

Default REC - Cottage Dill Loaf

This is such a delicious bread! Mom used to make it all the time.
Unfortunately, I never got her recipe. At one of my employers, I
worked with a woman who turned out to have been one of Mom's
co-workers, and she had the recipe! So this is very special to me. If
only I had some yeast - there's volunteer dill growing all over the
yard from last year. LOL!

I hope someone tries and enjoys this bread. It's wonderful.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cottage Dill Loaf

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 packet active dry yeast (package)
1/2 cup warm water -- 105-115 degrees
1/2 cup cottage cheese -- drained well
1 tablespoon butter
1 large egg -- beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dill seed
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour -- unsifted

Soften yeast in warm water.

Heat cottage cheese and butter until lukewarm.

Combine cottage cheese mixture, egg, onion, sugar, dill seed, salt, and
baking soda; mix well. Stir in softened yeast.

Add wheat germ and up to 2 cups flour gradually to make stiff dough,
beating well. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size.

Stir down. Knead on lightly floured board about 1 minute. Pat evenly
in well greased 9 inch layer cake pan at least 2 inches deep. Let rise
until double in size.

Bake at 350ºF until done and well browned, about 40 minutes. Remove
from pan; cool on wire rack. Serve warm.

Source:
"Pat Zastera (Carol's Mom)"
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 3g Fat (17.6%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
25mg Cholesterol; 533mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.