Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default This Ng and What I don't get! RANT!

<rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
choices and/or ingredients. Ok, today the hot topic is raw sugar but
tomorrow it will be something else. I've made absolutely no beefs about
where I stand as to what I will use and won't use. Quite frankly I feel
I am the best judge as to what I want to put into my body and I really
don't give a rat's poutie whether anyone else likes my choice or not. I
feel this is totally my choice and by no stretch of the imagination have
I tried to *ever* tell anyone this is the only or best way to do it,
only that it is my way. It rather ticked me off today when someone
asked a very valid question and got the third degree instead of helpful
answers. It is his choice to use this ingredient whether or not anyone
else agrees. Why can't those who can answer his question just do so and
the ones with all the judgemental comments just go off and amuse
themselves cooking something? Is that polite enough? If not I could
put it into terms these people might just understand. And while I'm at
it, please don't ask me to post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have
the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics. The ones that can't
should maybe go cook something And my final pet peeve is those who
for whatever reason seem to think I have nothing better to do than their
research. I will post links if I have them right handy but I just don't
have the time to go searching for every link I have. If you can't
handle that, perhaps you should go cook something </rant>

I do hope this clarifies my position and the way I saw this ng today.

ObFood: besides cooking in the rant, pizza dough is in the breadmaker.
I use a beer with no preservatives and an unbleached flour. The
recipe has been tinkered with to the point we have a very nice reliable
dough. DH is going to test out the new pizza pan when he gets home. He
does that pizza dough tossing thing like a pro which is really neat to
watch! Oh and toppings - homemade pizza sauce, shaved ham, pepparoni,
green olives on half, onions, sauteed mushrooms, motzrella cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:51:13 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Sorry, I simply just do not have
>the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
>I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics.

Some gentle posters here have such shallow lonely lives, they are
trying to make themselves feel important. Kill file is wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
> choices and/or ingredients.

Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
tolerance.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:21:13 -0600, notbob wrote:

> On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
>><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
>> choices and/or ingredients.

> Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
> tolerance.

I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder them.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

~patches~ wrote:
> And my final pet peeve is those who
> for whatever reason seem to think I have nothing better to do than their
> research. I will post links if I have them right handy but I just don't
> have the time to go searching for every link I have. If you can't
> handle that, perhaps you should go cook something </rant>

You're the one who posted an unreferenced claim about harmful chemicals
used in bleaching sugar. You should have posted the link at the same
time. When a request was made for you to provide references for
statements you posted, you got all huffy about it claiming you don't
have the time. Most folks here, when making a claim about something
will post information to back it up. It's really logicla when making a
claim to post the back up information AT THE SAME TIME.

One of my pet peeves is people who make claims about things and can't
or won't provide the evidence to back it up.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:21:13 -0600, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
> >><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
> >> choices and/or ingredients.

> > Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
> > tolerance.

> I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
> see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder

them.

> --
>
> -Jeff B.
> zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Not a jury anywhere would convict you <g>

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:21:13 -0600, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
> >><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
> >> choices and/or ingredients.

> > Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
> > tolerance.

> I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
> see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder

them.> --

> -Jeff B.

Just kill them, you have to. I learned that lesson when I worked in a
private girls school. One day a sign appeared on the Pepsi machine in the
back hall saying "This machine is off-limits for all students for one week
because a Junior was caught using it at a prohibited time." Below that a
student had scrawled "Kill the Junior". Absolutely.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Condiments

Yeff wrote:

> if I ever see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall
> murder them.

Best hot dog condiment: HP "Fruity" sauce
Best pizza condiment: Sriracha
Best french-fry condiment: Homemade mayo

(Your opinions may vary.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-30, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Best hot dog condiment: HP "Fruity" sauce

Hewlett-Packard makes a "Fruity" sauce?

> Best pizza condiment: Sriracha

Hmm... Love Sriracha, but don't know. I'll hafta try that one.

> Best french-fry condiment: Homemade mayo

That's just sick! What are you, Canadian er' something?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ > writes:

>a rat's poutie

Hahaha ew. That just sounds so gross.

>else agrees. Why can't those who can answer his question just do so and
>the ones with all the judgemental comments just go off and amuse
>themselves cooking something?

Some days I feel like there's quite a few posters on rfc who aren't
very nice. Though I will mention that, when called on it, they don't
seem to realize what they said came across as rude. Keep in mind, many
regulars don't think Sheldon's racist remarks are a problem. Not that
Usenet's ever been a real friendly place, but rfc seems to be
occasionally pretty hostile. And the regulars on rfc are like a family
(some would call it cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
people. I just chalk it up to the culture.

>it, please don't ask me to post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have
>the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
>I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics.

I don't use a newsreader that lets me just click on a link for a
photo, so I ignore those threads myself. When I cook, as much as I love
you guys, the last thing I'm thinking about is how to present my meal so
rfc will be impressed

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > writes:
>On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:

>><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
>> choices and/or ingredients.

>Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
>tolerance.

The one thing I can't tolerate is intolerance!

Stacia
it's a complex world of moral ambiguity

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SD wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>And my final pet peeve is those who
>>for whatever reason seem to think I have nothing better to do than their
>>research. I will post links if I have them right handy but I just don't
>>have the time to go searching for every link I have. If you can't
>>handle that, perhaps you should go cook something </rant>

> You're the one who posted an unreferenced claim about harmful chemicals
> used in bleaching sugar. You should have posted the link at the same
> time. When a request was made for you to provide references for
> statements you posted, you got all huffy about it claiming you don't
> have the time. Most folks here, when making a claim about something
> will post information to back it up. It's really logicla when making a
> claim to post the back up information AT THE SAME TIME.

No, if you go back and *read* what I posted I said specifically that raw
sugar was not as chemically refined as white sugar. The reference to
*bleaching* was in respect to other foods something that I thought
should have been clear. As far as huffy, I don't see where your are
coming from. My experience is that some people like to be spoon fed. I
don't have the time. Sorry

> One of my pet peeves is people who make claims about things and can't
> or won't provide the evidence to back it up.

Anywhere else but on usenet this might actually be a concern. I'm
intelligent enough to do my own research without depending on someone I
have never met on usenet. You want the facts, the best thing is to do
your own research, period. Sorry if you don't agree.

PS, no huffiness at all.

> SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
>
>><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
>>choices and/or ingredients.

> Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
> tolerance.
>

> nb

Ok, so I am somehow intolerant because I take offense that a bunch of
posters jump all over a poster who asked a very valid question? The
question was on topic too. I'm not intolerant any valid posts here and
never have been. I just find it rather depressing that so many can come
out to judge rather than help. If you took my rant as intolerance, you
have a problem, not me because that certainly is not the way it was
intended.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stacia wrote:

> The one thing I can't tolerate is intolerance!

Damn straight: DEATH TO FANATICS!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-30, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
> > Best hot dog condiment: HP "Fruity" sauce

> Hewlett-Packard makes a "Fruity" sauce?

If it does, it's OEM'ed in China.
Must have been a Carly thing.

;-)

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Yeff > wrote:

> I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
> see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder them.

Never seen anyone put mayo on a pizza. Hope I never do. I've seen a
guy put mayo on his hot dog. Every day. It looked good but I never
tried it myself, exactly.

As a kid, we had a condiment called "goop". It was a mixture of yellow
mustard, mayo, chopped dill pickles and chopped onion. This was usually
made fresh each time, although it would keep for a little time. It was
usually used for dipping french fries in, but my mother liked it on
boiled potatoes also. I like it on hot dogs. Does that count? My
mother is long gone, but now my daughter likes the stuff.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:43:48 +0000 (UTC), (Glitter
Ninja) wrote:

>And the regulars on rfc are like a family (some would
>call it cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
>people.

Huh??

Peace,
Carol, semi-regular
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:21:24 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Yeff > wrote:
>
>> I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
>> see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder them.

>Never seen anyone put mayo on a pizza. Hope I never do. I've seen a
>guy put mayo on his hot dog. Every day. It looked good but I never
>tried it myself, exactly.

Can't be much different than mayo on a bologna sandwich. Bologna is
just a squashed hot dog.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> ~patches~ > writes:
>

>>a rat's poutie

> Hahaha ew. That just sounds so gross.
>

>>else agrees. Why can't those who can answer his question just do so and
>>the ones with all the judgemental comments just go off and amuse
>>themselves cooking something?

> Some days I feel like there's quite a few posters on rfc who aren't
> very nice. Though I will mention that, when called on it, they don't
> seem to realize what they said came across as rude. Keep in mind, many
> regulars don't think Sheldon's racist remarks are a problem. Not that
> Usenet's ever been a real friendly place, but rfc seems to be
> occasionally pretty hostile. And the regulars on rfc are like a family
> (some would call it cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
> people. I just chalk it up to the culture.

You know, today just really bugged me. Someone asked a legitimate
question and was given the third degree! When I started posting here, I
thought I would fit in ok because I love food and cooking - wrong. I
have on occasion asked a question or posted info that was totally
ignored so I figured why bother. I know some of the regs have me
kfilled. That was rather apparent in my very early posting days when
the so called queen of jamming won't or can't be bothered to answer my
questions and it is quite apparent she is still above replying to any of
my posts. So I just did the same and figured oh well. But I don't care
how you slice this ng it is cliquish. Period. And that is not
flattering. Someone comes here and asks for advice then the clique
kicks in and all hell breaks out and they don't like it when anyone says
anything about it. If they don't want newbies or even semi newbies or
even people like me, why don't they just move to a closed monitored ng?
Just today really, really bugged me! I thought this ng was about
sharing a common interest not putting others down or challenging them.
Instead it turns out they would rather run off newbies and it doesn't
appear they really are all that interested in cooking. Sorry guys,
that's the vibes I'm getting. I'm never going to fit in here and I'm
not even going to pretend that I can. I love food and cooking and want
to talk about that. Anything that discourages that talk especially from
newbies is not what I want to see.

>>it, please don't ask me to post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have
>>the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
>>I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics.

> I don't use a newsreader that lets me just click on a link for a
> photo, so I ignore those threads myself. When I cook, as much as I love
> you guys, the last thing I'm thinking about is how to present my meal so
> rfc will be impressed

Hey, at the moment posting pics is the least of my worries. I think
right now I'm going to go into lurk mode. I need to step back and see
if this is really how I want to spend my time at the moment.

> Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> <rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
> choices and/or ingredients. Ok, today the hot topic is raw sugar but
> tomorrow it will be something else. I've made absolutely no beefs about
> where I stand as to what I will use and won't use. Quite frankly I feel I
> am the best judge as to what I want to put into my body and I really don't
> give a rat's poutie whether anyone else likes my choice or not. I feel
> this is totally my choice and by no stretch of the imagination have I
> tried to *ever* tell anyone this is the only or best way to do it, only
> that it is my way. It rather ticked me off today when someone asked a
> very valid question and got the third degree instead of helpful answers.
> It is his choice to use this ingredient whether or not anyone else agrees.
> Why can't those who can answer his question just do so and the ones with
> all the judgemental comments just go off and amuse themselves cooking
> something? Is that polite enough? If not I could put it into terms these
> people might just understand. And while I'm at it, please don't ask me to
> post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have the time or motivation to
> either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so I'm sure some of you can
> appreciate the logistics. The ones that can't should maybe go cook
> something And my final pet peeve is those who for whatever reason seem
> to think I have nothing better to do than their research. I will post
> links if I have them right handy but I just don't have the time to go
> searching for every link I have. If you can't handle that, perhaps you
> should go cook something </rant>
>
> I do hope this clarifies my position and the way I saw this ng today.
>
> ObFood: besides cooking in the rant, pizza dough is in the breadmaker. I
> use a beer with no preservatives and an unbleached flour. The recipe has
> been tinkered with to the point we have a very nice reliable dough. DH is
> going to test out the new pizza pan when he gets home. He does that pizza
> dough tossing thing like a pro which is really neat to watch! Oh and
> toppings - homemade pizza sauce, shaved ham, pepparoni, green olives on
> half, onions, sauteed mushrooms, motzrella cheese.

My pet peeve is people that think they get to tell other people how and what
to post and who they can reply to. If you can't handle that perhaps you
should go cook something.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ > writes:
>
> >a rat's poutie

> Hahaha ew. That just sounds so gross.
>
> >else agrees. Why can't those who can answer his question just do so and
> >the ones with all the judgemental comments just go off and amuse
> >themselves cooking something?

> Some days I feel like there's quite a few posters on rfc who aren't
> very nice. Though I will mention that, when called on it, they don't
> seem to realize what they said came across as rude. Keep in mind, many
> regulars don't think Sheldon's racist remarks are a problem. Not that
> Usenet's ever been a real friendly place, but rfc seems to be
> occasionally pretty hostile. And the regulars on rfc are like a family
> (some would call it cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
> people. I just chalk it up to the culture.
>
> >it, please don't ask me to post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have
> >the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
> >I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics.

> I don't use a newsreader that lets me just click on a link for a
> photo, so I ignore those threads myself. When I cook, as much as I love
> you guys, the last thing I'm thinking about is how to present my meal so
> rfc will be impressed
>
> Stacia

Well said.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ > writes:

>Glitter Ninja wrote:

>> occasionally pretty hostile. And the regulars on rfc are like a family
>> (some would call it cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
>> people. I just chalk it up to the culture.

>You know, today just really bugged me. Someone asked a legitimate
>question and was given the third degree!

I didn't see that particular thread, but I have seen it happen before,
so I know what you mean. But I know that other groups are like that,
too. Like a cat group I know -- there's always someone who jumps on
people who ask a legitimate question, telling them they should go to a
vet. Which is true, but they'll say it even if the poster HAS spoken
with a doctor. The poster just wants conversation or advice. What's a
newsgroup for if not discussion and questions?

>ignored so I figured why bother. I know some of the regs have me
>kfilled.

Believe me, it's preferable to them NOT kfing you. I've got a guy on
a movie group who hates me, and for ten years hasn't kfed me but keeps
following up to my posts. It's tiring.

>my posts. So I just did the same and figured oh well. But I don't care
>how you slice this ng it is cliquish. Period. And that is not
>flattering. Someone comes here and asks for advice then the clique
>kicks in and all hell breaks out and they don't like it when anyone says
>anything about it.

Again (and I sound like a broken record here) a lot of ngs are
cliquish. With less and less new people finding Usenet, it's going to
get worse, probably. I'm not saying it's right or good, I've just
gotten to where I don't fret about it anymore.

>that's the vibes I'm getting. I'm never going to fit in here and I'm
>not even going to pretend that I can.

Eh, I feel that way sometimes too, but screw it. I hope you don't
leave. Take a break if you have to (I have many times myself) but I'd
hate to see you leave.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2006 15:52:12 -0800, "SD" > wrote:
>
> >One of my pet peeves is people who make claims about things and can't
> >or won't provide the evidence to back it up.

> Do you have a reference to the contrary, that chemicals are not
> used in refining sugar?
>
> -sw

I'm not making a claim either way about refined sugar or processed
sugar. I question her lack of references. If I did make statements
claiming things about refined or processed sugar as fact, I'd post be
posting the references to back up those statements.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> You know, today just really bugged me. Someone asked a legitimate
> question and was given the third degree! When I started posting here, I
> thought I would fit in ok because I love food and cooking - wrong. I
> have on occasion asked a question or posted info that was totally
> ignored so I figured why bother. I know some of the regs have me
> kfilled. That was rather apparent in my very early posting days when
> the so called queen of jamming won't or can't be bothered to answer my
> questions and it is quite apparent she is still above replying to any of
> my posts. So I just did the same and figured oh well. But I don't care
> how you slice this ng it is cliquish. Period. And that is not
> flattering. Someone comes here and asks for advice then the clique
> kicks in and all hell breaks out and they don't like it when anyone says
> anything about it. If they don't want newbies or even semi newbies or
> even people like me, why don't they just move to a closed monitored ng?

Yes, that's right. We are the conspiracy.
It is the same conspiracy to get you to eat
white sugar, white bread, white flour, and
yet (paradoxically) artificially colored
food. We make you pay to eat our toxins,
and then we make the big bucks selling you
drugs to cure the cancers we cause.

With hundreds of billions of dollars at
our disposal, do you think we would ignore
the Internet? Hardly. We all got the
same memo: ~patches~ must be driven off
the Internet. It's nothing personal, but
when the powers-that-be target you (and they
are big powers, way beyond your understanding),
you will lose.

It is a wise decision for you to accept
this fate. We will be monitoring your
phone and e-mail for several months to
make sure you no longer pose a threat
to our vast toxin-producing empire.

If necessary, we will suggest thoughts
to you through our network of mind-control
satellites -- thoughts that will seem
just like your own thoughts. Thoughts
so real that if we suggest you walk
in front of a speeding car, you will
do so. Hope this helps! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

~patches~ wrote:
> SD wrote:

> > One of my pet peeves is people who make claims about things and can't
> > or won't provide the evidence to back it up.

> Anywhere else but on usenet this might actually be a concern. I'm
> intelligent enough to do my own research without depending on someone I
> have never met on usenet. You want the facts, the best thing is to do
> your own research, period. Sorry if you don't agree.

I'm not asking to be spoonfed - I'm asking of you exactly what I ask of
my 6th grade students. 50% of them just failed a research paper for
exactly that reason - failure to document facts. When you claim
something as fact back it up with your references. That's not being
spoonfed - that's called documenting your facts. Sorry if you don't
agree.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote

> Dams, she is right. I'm a newbie as far as posting here and have never
> really fit in and never will. Sorry, you guys really don't want new
> posters here. There is a lot of driving new people away. Some posters
> here love doing just that and others do it in a more subtle way but they
> still do it. When I first started posting here I thought a love of food
> and cooking would be enough, I was wrong

I think your perspective is skewed for some reason ... people talk to
you, respond to your posts, all the time. I don't even know what all
this fitting in stuff is ... I don't even know this person who just fits in.
Sure isn't me.

You say that a lot about the clique thing. I don't belong to a clique.
Who does belong to this clique?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2006 15:52:12 -0800, "SD" > wrote:
>
> >One of my pet peeves is people who make claims about things and can't
> >or won't provide the evidence to back it up.

> Do you have a reference to the contrary, that chemicals are not
> used in refining sugar?

Two links (at least, the last time I looked) were posted in the raw
sugar thread. One by me to a manufacturers trade group site (which is
automatically suspect, of course, by the paranoid) and the other by Om.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> You know, today just really bugged me. Someone asked a legitimate
> question and was given the third degree! When I started posting here, I
> thought I would fit in ok because I love food and cooking - wrong.

I thought you were fitting in just fine.

> have on occasion asked a question or posted info that was totally
> ignored so I figured why bother.

Nobody is in charge of answering questions or responding to info. If
nobody has anything to say, then nothing gets posted. I don't recommend
taking that personally.

> I know some of the regs have me
> kfilled. That was rather apparent in my very early posting days when
> the so called queen of jamming won't or can't be bothered to answer my
> questions and it is quite apparent she is still above replying to any of
> my posts.

That's hard to believe, but I don't know.

> So I just did the same and figured oh well. But I don't care
> how you slice this ng it is cliquish. Period. And that is not
> flattering. Someone comes here and asks for advice then the clique
> kicks in and all hell breaks out and they don't like it when anyone says
> anything about it. If they don't want newbies or even semi newbies or
> even people like me, why don't they just move to a closed monitored ng?
> Just today really, really bugged me! I thought this ng was about
> sharing a common interest not putting others down or challenging them.
> Instead it turns out they would rather run off newbies and it doesn't
> appear they really are all that interested in cooking. Sorry guys,
> that's the vibes I'm getting. I'm never going to fit in here and I'm
> not even going to pretend that I can. I love food and cooking and want
> to talk about that. Anything that discourages that talk especially from
> newbies is not what I want to see.

I haven't seen most being unfriendly to newbies, other than those
newbies who come in and tell us how to change things. Of course, some
people on here are just rude to everyone.

> >>it, please don't ask me to post pics. Sorry, I simply just do not have
> >>the time or motivation to either post or view pics. I'm on dialup so
> >>I'm sure some of you can appreciate the logistics.

That's precisely why the pics are always posted somewhere else, and just
a link is posted here. If I was still on dialup, I wouldn't be posting
or looking at pictures either.

I've quit this group several times, but never in anger. I just didn't
have the time to spend on the volume of traffic that is here.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> ObFood: Fried rice with some fresh j/nglghm for dinner tonight.
>
> -sw

Steve, I know you're an expert in obscure asian ingredients,
but I'm still just learning. What exactly is j/nglghm?

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Dams, she is right. I'm a newbie as far as posting here and have never
> really fit in and never will. Sorry, you guys really don't want new
> posters here. There is a lot of driving new people away. Some posters
> here love doing just that and others do it in a more subtle way but they
> still do it. When I first started posting here I thought a love of food
> and cooking would be enough, I was wrong

You might be new-ish, but if I recall correctly, you've had already
multiple melt downs and tantrums over how you perceive things?
I'm not part of any clique here, and I think newcomers are more than
welcome as long as they don't come in an rant or tell folks what they
should or should not be doing here? My pet peeve is people who don't
trim up the previous quoted material in their own replies, and those OT
posts like jokes. I can try to educate the non-trimmers, but the best I
can hope for with the frequent OT jokes is to ignore it.
You state you were offended at Barb assuming she possibly ignored you,
yet do you have any idea if she even SAW your queries??
Also, some folks who publicly discuss their impending lurk/leaving
status might just be hoping others will talk them out of it or beg them
to stay. I don't always trust their motivations when they write that.
Just me being cynical.... but NOT cliquish!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:43:48 +0000 (UTC), (Glitter
>> Ninja) wrote:
>>

>>> And the regulars on rfc are like a family (some would call it
>>> cliquish) and there's not a lot of room for newer
>>> people.

>> Huh??
>>
>> Peace,
>> Carol, semi-regular

> Dams, she is right. I'm a newbie as far as posting here and have never
> really fit in and never will. Sorry, you guys really don't want new
> posters here. There is a lot of driving new people away. Some posters
> here love doing just that and others do it in a more subtle way but they
> still do it. When I first started posting here I thought a love of food
> and cooking would be enough, I was wrong

well, when newbies act like you who can blame us?

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> ObFood: Fried rice with some fresh j/nglghm for dinner tonight.

OK, I'll bite. Are you trying to change the subject? I want a recipe
for j/nglghm. Right. This. Minute. Ya hear me? =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
<snip>

Um. While I do appreciate the fact that you are defending me and my
question.......I kinda resent being called a newbie!! I've ****ed off
my fair share of people around here (right, -L?). But I'm still here,
still posting .... and I've learned to skim over the annoying,
irrelevant BS and look for the posts that have the info I'm seeking
contained in them.

I DO hope you don't go 'way for too long, becasue you definitely post
some interesting things and your posts are more food-related than most.
Like I said in another thread, I was thinking specifically about you
when I asked the sugar question, becasue I know your family's dietary
preferences and I have a lot of respect for them.

Besides, who's gonna teach us about home-canning and make me drool for
lovely fresh peaches in the winter, etc? Who's gonna make me jealous of
canadian maple syrup flowing freely?

I'd say this newsgroup is both clique-ish and like a family. Namely,
becasue I come from the kind of family who loves each other quite a
lot, but we fight frequently when we're together. Doesn't mean we love
each other any less, just that we are all strong people with strong
opinions, and we feel safe expressing them. My clique in HS was the
same way - love/hate/love relationships, depending on the day and the
topic of conversation. And if we vote you Prom Queen, you're required
under the by-laws to maintain your status within the clique!!! <g>

ps, I know how many times I misspelled because. Please, whomever, don't
flame me for my spelling. Google doesn't have a spellchecker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-30, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Mayo mixed with sriracha makes a great condiment for almost
> anything requiring mayo.

Tried it. It's ok.

> It's even worthy of ... HOTDOGS! (and hamburgers).

Heh heh... There's a lotta leeway on burgers, but I'm pretty
traditional ...mayo, mustard, relish, ketchup. While I love the
classic Chi-Dog, I've been known to go crazy on dogs, specially hot
links. My primary sauce on hot links while they're grilling is Kraft
Catalina salad dressing w/ Sriracha and grilled to a nice black char.
mmmm...

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I'd say RFC is the least cliquish of the groups in which I
> participate. At least for it's size. There used to be a lot of
> cliques with their private little jokes and such, but not so much
> now....

> ObFood: Fried rice with some fresh j/nglghm for dinner tonight.
>
> -sw

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Steve, I know you're an expert in obscure asian ingredients,
> but I'm still just learning. What exactly is j/nglghm?

www.dejanews.com
It is your friend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:40:56 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >Steve Wertz wrote:
> >
> >> ObFood: Fried rice with some fresh j/nglghm for dinner tonight.
> >>

> >Steve, I know you're an expert in obscure asian ingredients,
> >but I'm still just learning. What exactly is j/nglghm?

> Sorry - I misspelled it. It's j/nghlm.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=j%...&sa=N&tab= wg
>
> -sw

See? Now I'm a part of your RFC clique! I know the inside joke!! This
is the best day of my life!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Yeff > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:21:13 -0600, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2006-03-29, ~patches~ > wrote:
> >><rant>What I don't get is the lack of tolerance of other people's food
> >> choices and/or ingredients.

> > Judging by your post, you are not exactly immune to this lack of
> > tolerance.

> I never tell people how they *have* to prepare food. That said, if I ever
> see another person put mayonnaise on a hotdog or pizza I shall murder them.

Or salt on watermelon....... <G>

That's just nasty IMHO~

I love mayo on hot dogs! Along with ketchup and mustard, and relish.
Ranch dressing works for both. ;-D
--
Peace, Om.

Tabasco rant - Kalmia General Cooking 24 22-09-2011 12:57 PM
Supermarket Rant Terry Pulliam Burd General Cooking 28 21-12-2006 03:50 AM
OT ice rant The Bubbo General Cooking 91 29-01-2006 01:05 PM
<RANT> Losing someone Andy General Cooking 68 06-01-2006 04:50 PM
A Rant donovan10 Wine 33 22-04-2004 11:48 PM