Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate Chip Cookies

Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

eddie527 wrote:

> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

I use the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cook book. It makes
great cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

eddie527 wrote:
> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

The recipe on the bag works OK. (it doesn't matter what brand of chips,
the recipe is always the same except for specifying their brand of chips)

Melt the butter instead of creaming with the sugars, and combine
everything (except the chips and nuts) at the same time.

You can also try using high-protein bread flour instead of all-purpose.

Your oven may be too hot.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"eddie527" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

I use the recipe from the butter flavored Crisco recipe. I don't like a
flat cookie and using shortening rather than butter helps with that.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote on 28 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> eddie527 wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> > try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

> I use the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cook book. It makes
> great cookies.

This one makes a good soft chewy cookie but the cookies don't store well
1-3 days max.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Damsel's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

cookies

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts -- optional

.. Combine ingredients in order given.
2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

Source:
'Jackie Fast'
'3 1/2 dozen'

The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
The ears keep the hat up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

eddie527 wrote:
> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Without knowing the recipe you're using it's hard to come up with
anything specific. Are you using shortening, butter, margarine, or
vegetable oil spread? Shortening will give you the puffiest cookies
and vegetable oil spread will give you the flattest. I personally
prefer using butter. If you're using shortening or butter and your
cookies are spreading out too much I would try chilling the dough in
the refrigerator before baking the cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Maybe your baking soda is old.

"eddie527" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 28 Jan 2006 10:07:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it eddie527?

> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Use vegetable shortening (Crisco) instead of butter. Refrigerate dough
before baking. Make sure that the dough is mounded on the baking sheet and
not flattened before baking.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ray wrote:
>>Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
>>try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

> Maybe your baking soda is old.

Baking soda doesn't get old. Baking powder gets old.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
>>>Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
>>>try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

>> Maybe your baking soda is old.
>>

> Baking soda doesn't get old. Baking powder gets old.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

That's an interesting tidbit as I bought a huge bucket of it when my kids
had chicken pox last year. I still have 1/2 a bucket and have been
wondering if it got old or not.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote on 28 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> >> Maybe your baking soda is old.
> >>

> > Baking soda doesn't get old. Baking powder gets old.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> That's an interesting tidbit as I bought a huge bucket of it when my
> kids had chicken pox last year. I still have 1/2 a bucket and have
> been wondering if it got old or not.
>
> Lynne

Baking soda doesn't loose potency...but it might pick up additional
flavours/odors.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Must either be an awfully loose fitting hat or someone with an
unusually small head.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

eddie527 wrote:
> Does anyone have good recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? Whenever I
> try to bake them, they go flat. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Here's mine - they stay nice and thick, but last only a couple days -
freeze them, if they aren't going to get eaten.

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 stick butter and ˝ stick salted or unsalted butter, melted and
cooled to lukewarm
1 C. light brown sugar
˝ C. white sugar
1 extra large or jumbo egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla (I used a scant T.)
2 C. plus 2 T. flour (white, bleached, all-purpose)
˝ tsp. salt
˝ tsp. soda
1 12-oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips

Put the melted butter and the sugars in a mixing bowl. Mix until
thoroughly blended. (I beat at a high speed for a couple minutes. This
also helps the melted shortening cool slightly.) Add the egg, egg
yolk, and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Put the flour, salt and soda in
a bowl and whisk or sift once. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar
mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in chips by hand.

Line cookie sheets with baking parchment. Make drop cookies on cookie
sheets. Bake at 325 deg. for 13 minutes (check at 11 minutes).
Cookies should be slightly brown on the peaks and edges, and light
colored and soft in the center.

Remove from oven, leave on cookie sheets and cool. Do not put new
batches on hot cookie sheets; make sure sheets have cooled before
reusing.

This recipe makes about 36-40 cookies.

Store in airtight container with waxed paper between layers. The baked
cookies can be frozen. The raw dough can be frozen in an airtight
container for up to two weeks. Thaw it in the refrigerator. Thaw
baked cookies at room temperature.

Instead of chocolate chips, use chunks of white chocolate (6 oz.) and
macademia nuts (about 3/4 cup, cut into coarse bits) (or use
proportions of chocolate and nuts to taste).

For the choc. chips, you can substitute 1 C. quick-cooking oatmeal and
1 C. raisins, plumped 5 minutes in boiling water.

You can also substitute 1 ˝ pkg. (about 18 oz.) of brickle bits and
3/4 C. coarsely chopped pecans for the choc. chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote on 31 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> This recipe doesn't work very well. They certainly don't fall,
> like the OP was asking for - they stay in a lump and don't fall at
> all. I'd drop the 1/4 of oil from this recipe and add 2 sticks of
> butter or margarine. This recipe is too cakey. Sorry Damsel (and
> Jackie Fast - whoever that is) - but IMO, this recipe definitely
> needs butter.

Worked fine for me...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> This recipe doesn't work very well. They certainly don't fall,
> like the OP was asking for - they stay in a lump and don't fall at
> all. I'd drop the 1/4 of oil from this recipe and add 2 sticks of
> butter or margarine. This recipe is too cakey. Sorry Damsel (and
> Jackie Fast - whoever that is) - but IMO, this recipe definitely
> needs butter.

The OP didn't ask for a cookie recipe in which the cookies fall. He
made a statement that his cookies always fall flat and wanted to know
what to do about it.