Old 14-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Nexis

Default The dangers of getting a new kitchen toy

I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession
for me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

Old 14-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Mr Libido Incognito

Nexis wrote on 13 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near
obsession for me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings
for months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on
everything. New peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess
what I'm drinking twice a day???

kimberly

Orange Juice?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Old 14-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Seamus

Guess what I'm drinking twice a day???
Bourbon ?

Old 14-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Seamus

Old 14-09-2005, 03:00 PM
vega

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:41:30 -0700, "Nexis" wrote:

I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession
for me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

I saw a very funny bit in a movie once. I wish I could recall the
name. In one sceen we see the dog bring a vibrator out from under the
bed and he ends up droping it on the kitchen floor.

Next morning the young woman who has just moved in grandma to live
with her and her husband comes down to the kitchen the next morning
and there is grandma sturing a pot of oat meal or gritts or something.

Young lady is still in that early morning fog. Grandma turns to her
and comments how these new-fangled kitchen gadgets arn't worth the
money people pay for them. And holds up the "automatic stirier" she is
stiring the pot with!

Old 14-09-2005, 03:11 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article [email protected], "Nexis"
wrote:

I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession
for me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

So are you bouncing off the walls or what? lol

I'm the same way with my new Hamilton grill. :-)
Been eating a LOT of grilled meat, as well as sliced grilled veggies.

I even used it to heat some packaged eggrolls...
--
Om.

Old 14-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Mark Thorson

Nexis wrote:

My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday.
Guess what I'm drinking twice a day???

kimberly

A useless toy -- unless you get serious about coffee and
start roasting your own. A very good place to start is
http://www.sweetmarias.com

I have a FreshRoastPlus8, and am very happy with it,
but since you already have an espresso machine you
might consider starting with a more serious machine,
like the Hottop.

Of course, you'll need a grinder with that. The Capresso
Infinity is highly recommended as a starter machine
by the folks in alt.coffee, but some would suggest
skipping that and going straight for a machine you'll
never outgrow, such as a Rocky or a Mazzer.
The consensus is that the grinder is at least as important
as the espresso machine in creating good espresso.

A good place for espresso machines and grinders is:
http://www.wholelattelove.com/

But . . . is the machine you have really an espresso
machine, or a steam toy masquerading as an espresso
machine? Here's a good essay about that:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...e=source&hl=en
Old 14-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Curly Sue

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:41:30 -0700, "Nexis" wrote:

I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession
for me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

The devil is a bread machine.

10 years after acquiring mine, I am finally at the point where I have
the willpower to eat only a single slice when the hot bread is done...

Sue(tm)
Old 14-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Dimitri

"Nexis" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession for
me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

Do not get a mandoline.

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

Old 14-09-2005, 11:45 PM
vega

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:23:45 GMT, "Dimitri"
wrote:

"Nexis" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession for
me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

Do not get a mandoline.

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

My mon loves hers. I find it to be a gadget I have no use for. Gimme
my chineese cleaver anyday ! I can cut a onion or cucumber so thin you
can read a newspaper through them (handy for the cucumber for
Hungarian cumber salid.

Old 15-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Andy

Dimitri wrote:

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

That just happened to me tonight. But with a new Henckel's chef's knife.
I couldn't believe it went through onion so easily and then into my
index finger! :O Nice knife. One of the German Henckels #31021-200

Now I gotta hunt and peck with a middle finger for a while.

Andy
Old 15-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Dimitri

"Andy" q wrote in message .. .
Dimitri wrote:

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

That just happened to me tonight. But with a new Henckel's chef's knife.
I couldn't believe it went through onion so easily and then into my
index finger! :O Nice knife. One of the German Henckels #31021-200

Now I gotta hunt and peck with a middle finger for a while.

Andy

Cucumbers -

What?

Use cucumbers to perfect the gnarled finger knife guide and thumb push
technique - the resistance is perfect for practice makes perfect.

Dimitri

Old 15-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Dimitri

"vega" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:23:45 GMT, "Dimitri"
wrote:

"Nexis" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have discovered that getting a new kitchen gadget leads to near obsession
for
me.
When I got my toaster, I made toast every morning and some evenings for
months. New Microplane meant cheese or chocolate shavings on everything. New
peeler? Don't get me started.
My husband bought me a new espresso machine for my birthday. Guess what I'm
drinking twice a day???

kimberly

Do not get a mandoline.

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

My mon loves hers. I find it to be a gadget I have no use for. Gimme
my chineese cleaver anyday ! I can cut a onion or cucumber so thin you
can read a newspaper through them (handy for the cucumber for
Hungarian cumber salid.

If you have to do a big bunch of slaw or foods like that there is no substitute
for a good quality mandoline. it gives both speed and consistency with little or
no effort.

Dimitri

Old 15-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Andy

Dimitri wrote:

"Andy" q wrote in message
.. .
Dimitri wrote:

You'll be obsessed until you lose a fingertip or 2.

Dimitri

That just happened to me tonight. But with a new Henckel's chef's
knife. I couldn't believe it went through onion so easily and then
into my index finger! :O Nice knife. One of the German Henckels
#31021-200

Now I gotta hunt and peck with a middle finger for a while.

Andy

Cucumbers -

What?

Use cucumbers to perfect the gnarled finger knife guide and thumb push
technique - the resistance is perfect for practice makes perfect.

Dimitri

I'll try that. I was mincing half an onion and was making those
horizontal cuts and should've moved my fingers out of the way. First
time ever using that knife.

It certainly was a clean cut. It didn't bleed for about 5 seconds.

Andy
"Nine Fingers"
Old 15-09-2005, 12:57 AM
vega

If you have to do a big bunch of slaw or foods like that there is no substitute
for a good quality mandoline. it gives both speed and consistency with little or
no effort.

Dimitri

I don't doubt it. I just try to avoide knife like tools that can't be
sharpened.

If I feel lazy and don't wanna use my cleaver to do slaw, I use a food
processer (rare).

As I said, Mom loves her mandoline. As does my wife's Mom. It just
isn't for me. I can't do without my box grater !