Mary

Default OT - The dangers of cooking

"Cheryl Perkins" > wrote in message
> Victor Martinez > wrote:
> > MaryL wrote:
> >> Years ago, my neighbor was very badly injured when her pressure cooker
> >> exploded. They are *supposed* to be safe, but I simply don't *feel*

safe
> >> around them and will not use one.

> > Modern pressure cookers have a special valve that will break off if the
> > pressure gets too high, thus preventing an explosion (but probably
> > covering your entire kitchen and any hoomins in it in whatever you were
> > cooking, at a very, very high temperature).

> No, it's mostly the ceiling directly above the stove and the wall behind
> it that gets coated with, to take an example at random, soup.
>
> My grandmother used one for years, to the occasional grumbling of my
> grandfather, a mechanic who knew a good bit about pressure and steam. She
> never had an accident, and swore by hers as a great method for cooking
> vegetables quickly. My granparents and I had different views on what
> constitutes a well-cooked vegetable. I thought, barely softened with
> crunch left, they thought, so soft you can practically puree it with a
> fork.
>
> I still have mine, which I used to use a lot, but haven't used in years.
> That's less for reasons having to do with soup on the ceiling and more to
> do with an increased dependence on the microwave.

Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
what the advantages are.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mary" > wrote in message
> Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> what the advantages are.

My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can cook
foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure. It was
supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.

Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

jmcquown

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Mary" > wrote in message
> > Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> > what the advantages are.

> My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can cook
> foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure. It

was
> supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.
>
> Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Snipped cross-posting. Oh great, now she's cross-posting to rfc as well as
to rpca (where I have her killfiled) and whatever that h+b cat ng is.

Jill

serene

[snipped crosspost to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes -- wtf?]

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Mary" > wrote in message
> > Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> > what the advantages are.

> My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can cook
> foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure. It was
> supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.
>
> Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.

Meats are more tender. Chicken is wonderful. But mostly I use it to make
beans, which seem to keep their texture better. I really don't care
that much about the time, though it has made it possible for me to make
beans from scratch without worrying about the time factor, so I do like
that.

serene, newish pressure-cooker cook
jmcquown

"serene" > wrote in message
> [snipped crosspost to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes -- wtf?]

She (among many others) has been trolling rec.pets.cats.anecdotes about an
issue which originated in rec.pets.cats.health+behav. When trolls hit rpca
we start posting recipes or food related stuff. She picked up on the
pressure cooker thread that was posted over there and I guess decided it
belongs here, too. (sigh) I killfiled her last week after she started
insulting a very good friend of most of us over there. I suggest, unless
she starts posting food stuff here without the cross-postings, you do the
same.

Jill

> Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > "Mary" > wrote in message
> > > Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> > > what the advantages are.

> > My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can

cook
> > foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure. It

was
> > supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.
> >
> > Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.

> Meats are more tender. Chicken is wonderful. But mostly I use it to make
> beans, which seem to keep their texture better. I really don't care
> that much about the time, though it has made it possible for me to make
> beans from scratch without worrying about the time factor, so I do like
> that.
>
> serene, newish pressure-cooker cook

Mary

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Mary" > wrote in message
> > > Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> > > what the advantages are.

> > My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can

cook
> > foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure. It

> was
> > supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.
> >
> > Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.
> > --
> > Ed
> > http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
> >

> Snipped cross-posting to rec.food.cooking
>
> Guess Mary didn't like being killfiled here so she's added rfc to her list
> and is crossposting there and here about this issue. So far the people
> replying there (except for Ed, who didn't notice) are wondering why the

hell
> she's posting this to rfc *and* rpca. LOL

It was a cooking question, Jill. It made perfect sense to crosspost it.

Mary

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> > > always refused. I think I'll send her this link to get her off my
> > > back.
> > > --
> > > Britta

> > My mom was a big pressure-cooker fan, too. I imagine it was a real
> > innovation to the 1950's homemakers. Kinda like the crockpot frenzy in
> > the 70's, by that time all the moms were working. Imagine! Cook while
> > you're at work. Then the 80's, and the microvave, and you could cook a
> > baked potato in 8 minutes after you got *home* from work. My family got
> > real sick of baked potatoes. :-)
> > Now around here the favorite gizmo is the George Foreman grill.
> >
> > Sherry
> >

> Yeah, the good old GF Grill, which isn't a grill at all (but then, I'm
> rather fond of real grills). I was given one and tried to cook a

hamburger
> in it. It basically steamed the burger. I tried a boneless chicken

breast;
> same thing. Uh, no thanks. As I do with most gadgets I'm given and find

no
> use for, I cleaned it up, set it out by the curb and stuck a note on it

that
> said "TAKE THIS, IT WORKS" and it disappeared. Hope it found a forever
> home!

The foreman grill is great in that it squeezes much of the fat out of
whatever you cook. The bad thing is that it compresses the meat
so much it gets pretty hard.

Trish

"Mary" > wrote in message ...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > m...

> > > My mother had one also but don't recall it being used a lot. You can

> cook
> > > foods faster because you can get higher temperatures under pressure.

It
> > was
> > > supposed to make meats more tender in stews, or pot roast.
> > >
> > > Never used one, never had a desire to so I can't tell you much more.
> > > --
> > > Ed
> > > http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
> > >

> > Snipped cross-posting to rec.food.cooking
> >
> > Guess Mary didn't like being killfiled here so she's added rfc to her

list
> > and is crossposting there and here about this issue. So far the people
> > replying there (except for Ed, who didn't notice) are wondering why the

> hell
> > she's posting this to rfc *and* rpca. LOL
> >

> It was a cooking question, Jill. It made perfect sense to crosspost it.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell Jill, but she supposedly has you killfiled

Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> She (among many others) has been trolling rec.pets.cats.anecdotes about an
> issue which originated in rec.pets.cats.health+behav. When trolls hit
> rpca
> we start posting recipes or food related stuff. She picked up on the
> pressure cooker thread that was posted over there and I guess decided it
> belongs here, too. (sigh) I killfiled her last week after she started
> insulting a very good friend of most of us over there. I suggest, unless
> she starts posting food stuff here without the cross-postings, you do the
> same.

Thanks for the heads up, Jill.

nancy

Mary

"Trish" > wrote in message

> "Mary" > wrote in message

> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >
> > > "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > > m...

can
> > cook

> It
> > > was

> > > Snipped cross-posting to rec.food.cooking
> > >
> > > Guess Mary didn't like being killfiled here so she's added rfc to her

> list
> > > and is crossposting there and here about this issue. So far the

people
> > > replying there (except for Ed, who didn't notice) are wondering why

the
> > hell
> > > she's posting this to rfc *and* rpca. LOL
> > >

> > It was a cooking question, Jill. It made perfect sense to crosspost it.
> >

> shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell Jill, but she supposedly has you killfiled

So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers? And are they
safe to use around cats?

Philip

"Mary" > wrote in message ...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > My mom was a big pressure-cooker fan, too. I imagine it was a real
>> > innovation to the 1950's homemakers. Kinda like the crockpot frenzy in
>> > the 70's, by that time all the moms were working. Imagine! Cook while
>> > you're at work. Then the 80's, and the microvave, and you could cook a
>> > baked potato in 8 minutes after you got *home* from work. My family got
>> > real sick of baked potatoes. :-)
>> > Now around here the favorite gizmo is the George Foreman grill.
>> >
>> > Sherry
>> >

>> Yeah, the good old GF Grill, which isn't a grill at all (but then, I'm
>> rather fond of real grills). I was given one and tried to cook a

> hamburger
>> in it. It basically steamed the burger. I tried a boneless chicken

> breast;
>> same thing. Uh, no thanks. As I do with most gadgets I'm given and find

> no
>> use for, I cleaned it up, set it out by the curb and stuck a note on it

> that
>> said "TAKE THIS, IT WORKS" and it disappeared. Hope it found a forever
>> home!
>>

> The foreman grill is great in that it squeezes much of the fat out of
> whatever you cook. The bad thing is that it compresses the meat
> so much it gets pretty hard.

Simply put a block under your frying pan handle just enough to lift the
handle about 1 inch. This facilitates the fat running off to the side so
that the beef patty does not cook in its own oils. No compressed meat as
with Foreman griller.

jmcquown

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
> > She (among many others) has been trolling rec.pets.cats.anecdotes about

an
> > issue which originated in rec.pets.cats.health+behav. When trolls hit
> > rpca
> > we start posting recipes or food related stuff. She picked up on the
> > pressure cooker thread that was posted over there and I guess decided it
> > belongs here, too. (sigh) I killfiled her last week after she started
> > insulting a very good friend of most of us over there. I suggest,

unless
> > she starts posting food stuff here without the cross-postings, you do

the
> > same.

> Thanks for the heads up, Jill.
>
> nancy

You're welcome Trying to head off an infusion of the h+b folks who will
reply to Mary here and start some crap (probably with me). I warned the
others on rpca and now the trolls (whom I can't see except when someone
replies to them LOL) are saying she was perfectly right in cross-posting
because it's food related... really? But then how is it cat related? If
she wants to know about pressure cookers, just come here and ask. She also
snipped the original article when she cross-posted here so who the hell
knows what she's talking about?

Original news article follows:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4...207122005&ts=H

One troll even said I obviously don't have Mary killfiled since I replied to
Ed's post over there (separately from here and no cross-posting). Obviously
she doesn't know how killfiles work. I'll be really glad when school is
back in session.

Jill

Mary

"Howard C. Berkowitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> > "rich" > wrote in message

> > > Let me explain since you seem to lack the ability to reason it out for
> > > yourself. Jill probably does have her kill-filed as she said she does.
> > > Considering that Jill replied to Edwin's post and not Mary's seems to
> > > indicate that M is really kill-filed as she said. Jill saw Mary's post
> > > because the full post by Mary was included in Edwin's post.

> > Yup, I also read Ed's reply on rec.food.cooking where everyone so far
> > except
> > for him is snipping the rpca cross posting. Apparently I know a bit

more
> > about how newsgroups and killfiles work than Trish does. Trish is also
> > in
> > my killfile. Hell, my killfile runneth over and this hasn't happened in
> > LONG time. Why doesn't everyone go back to their individual sandboxes?

> Because their masters are telling them the sandboxes need to be changed?

Mary

"mlbriggs" > wrote:

> Further information: Pressure Cookers cook under pressure -- steam. They
> are metal and have a locking lid. If they are faulty, or not properly
> locked they can be hazardous. Years ago, I bought a pressure cooker and
> did use it a few times, but decided it wasn't worth the bother for the
> kind of cooking I did.
>
> A Crock Pot is a slow cooker. It has a ceramic pot to be inserted in a
> metal casing with a glass lid. Great to use for stews. It has a switch
> for fast or slow. If directions are followed carefully, it can be a help
> for a busy person.

Now see, these days they call these things slow cookers. Now I get it.
I use them for very lean cuts of beef and pork that are better braised.
If you brown well first, the meat turns out fabulous.

But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

Mary

"Trish" > wrote> >

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/...urecooker.html

> Thanks! that's what I have.

Ahhh! All my questions answered. Thanks!

whitershadeofpale

Mary wrote:
> "mlbriggs" > wrote:
> >

> > Further information: Pressure Cookers cook under pressure -- steam. They
> > are metal and have a locking lid. If they are faulty, or not properly
> > locked they can be hazardous. Years ago, I bought a pressure cooker and
> > did use it a few times, but decided it wasn't worth the bother for the
> > kind of cooking I did.
> >
> > A Crock Pot is a slow cooker. It has a ceramic pot to be inserted in a
> > metal casing with a glass lid. Great to use for stews. It has a switch
> > for fast or slow. If directions are followed carefully, it can be a help
> > for a busy person.

> Now see, these days they call these things slow cookers. Now I get it.
> I use them for very lean cuts of beef and pork that are better braised.
> If you brown well first, the meat turns out fabulous.
>
> But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
> cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

A pressure cooker will cook meat faster.

It would be good for something like, a beef brisket, potatoes, and
cabbage.

Seems like a beefy cut would probably get rubbery, as well as loose
flavor.

I like med-temp broiing, where you can actually make a good rue
afterwards.

Mary

"whitershadeofpale" > wrote

> > But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
> > cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

> A pressure cooker will cook meat faster.
>
> It would be good for something like, a beef brisket, potatoes, and
> cabbage.
>
> Seems like a beefy cut would probably get rubbery, as well as loose
> flavor.

What do you mean by "beefy," do you mean "lean?" If so that makes
sense to me.

I like to get really lean cuts like london broil and brown the hell out
of them on top of the stove or in the broiler, then slow cook in the
crock pot, adding vegetables in the last hour. Works great for
pork, too.

> I like med-temp broiing, where you can actually make a good rue
> afterwards.

You mean gravy, right? You can do that with the slow-cooker
juices too.

So you are saying, I think, that I am not going to get as tender
meat using a pressure cooker as I am using a slow cooker,
at least with lean cuts of beef or pork?

whitershadeofpale

"Mary" > wrote in message
news:1121568181.371ee80183a165791baf4abab9518f78@t eranews...

> "whitershadeofpale" > wrote
>
> > > But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
> > > cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

> > A pressure cooker will cook meat faster.
> >
> > It would be good for something like, a beef brisket, potatoes, and
> > cabbage.
> >
> > Seems like a beefy cut would probably get rubbery, as well as loose
> > flavor.

> What do you mean by "beefy," do you mean "lean?" If so that makes
> sense to me.
>
> I like to get really lean cuts like london broil and brown the hell out
> of them on top of the stove or in the broiler, then slow cook in the
> crock pot, adding vegetables in the last hour. Works great for
> pork, too.
>

> > I like med-temp broiing, where you can actually make a good rue
> > afterwards.
> >

> You mean gravy, right? You can do that with the slow-cooker
> juices too.
>
> So you are saying, I think, that I am not going to get as tender
> meat using a pressure cooker as I am using a slow cooker,
> at least with lean cuts of beef or pork?

Thaaat's right. A pressure cooker is just a speed boiler at best.
Boiled Meat! <shiver>, unless it's brisket, I could see that.
Or some country style ribs.

Slow cooker is the way to go. It's low maintenance, and it does not
muddle the layers. Potatoes on top, lol.

Your beefy cut London Broil probably leaves a good stain in the pan
this is good, it's so quick to throw a little liquid on it, and make a
gravy.

London Broil, Gravy

1 1/2 lbs. London broil or flank steak
(about 1 1/2 inches thick)
7 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup sliced onion
6 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp prepared white horseradish
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
14 oz. beef broth

Heat butter in a large black skillet. Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and
horseradish. Sautee this under medium heat until onions and mushrooms look
soft. Stir in the rosemary, mustard, vinegar, and the broth. Bring it to a
boil and cook it until it is reduced (slightly thickened) oh, about 15
minutes. Broil the meat 4 inches from the heat source (7 minutes per side)
let the meat cool for about 5 mins, then slice it thin (diagonally across
the grain) stir the gravy, yule see some seperation of liquieds. Put the
sliced meat on a warm platter, and pour the gravy on, and enjoy!
It is...to die for!

AlleyGator

"Mary" > wrote:

>> I still have mine, which I used to use a lot, but haven't used in years.
>> That's less for reasons having to do with soup on the ceiling and more to
>> do with an increased dependence on the microwave.
>>

>Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
>what the advantages are.

A friend of mine decided that while his wife was out of town, he was
going to fix some green beans in the PC. Long story short, he spent
the next 2 days digging beans out of the ceiling, and they had to
repair and repaint the kitchen. (There was the small matter of that
lid-sized hole) As a lesson learned, if I want to use one, I will buy
a new, safer model, not use the one grandma left us, like he did. I
know I should really get one, especially since I like pinto beans so
much, and they're pretty handy to have - and SAFE if you get a newer
one.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
AlleyGator

Wayne Mitchell > wrote:

>But most importantly, I *never*, for any reason, take my
>attention away from it while it is under pressure. Yes,
>pressure cookers can malfunction; but the malfunction only
>becomes catastrophic because of operator inattention.

I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD <G> but i do have a problem with
keeping track of things sometimes. I'm glad you have things under
control, but I really don't trust myself all that much. I usually
have about a hundred things going on at once (yes, I'm a moron) so I
think I'll invest in a new one for my own safety. BTW, have you
cooked dried beans of any kind (navy, pinto, whatever) and I wonder
what your experience has been. I've been told you can cook dried
beans of any kind in nothing flat, so I just wonder if you've tried
that. Forgive me, I have a few dishes that I'm good at but overall,
I'm a desperately bad cook. I can make an omlet on a good day but
that's about it other than my list of specialties.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Mary

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> Wayne Mitchell > wrote:
>
> >But most importantly, I *never*, for any reason, take my
> >attention away from it while it is under pressure. Yes,
> >pressure cookers can malfunction; but the malfunction only
> >becomes catastrophic because of operator inattention.

> I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD <G> but i do have a problem with
> keeping track of things sometimes. I'm glad you have things under
> control, but I really don't trust myself all that much. I usually
> have about a hundred things going on at once (yes, I'm a moron) so I
> think I'll invest in a new one for my own safety. BTW, have you
> cooked dried beans of any kind (navy, pinto, whatever) and I wonder
> what your experience has been. I've been told you can cook dried
> beans of any kind in nothing flat, so I just wonder if you've tried
> that. Forgive me, I have a few dishes that I'm good at but overall,
> I'm a desperately bad cook. I can make an omlet on a good day but
> that's about it other than my list of specialties.

Yeah, same here, I think I may pass on the pressure cooker.

> --
> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
> At least now I have an excuse.

Get a ferret to commune with!

jmcquown

AlleyGator wrote:
> "Mary" > wrote:

Please don't feed this troll. They have started a campaign to drag a war
from 2 other groups into this one. Thanks.

Jill

AlleyGator

"Mary" > wrote:

>Yeah, same here, I think I may pass on the pressure cooker.

LOL! (Be very afraid . . . . .)

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

AlleyGator

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>AlleyGator wrote:
>> "Mary" > wrote:
>>

>Please don't feed this troll. They have started a campaign to drag a war
>from 2 other groups into this one. Thanks.
>
>Jill

Sorry, Jill, I didn't realize that. It seemed legitimate enough. And
I HAVE had my own share of disasters in the kitchen. I'm scary
sometimes, but I do still have all my fingers - at least for now.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Mary

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> >AlleyGator wrote:
> >> "Mary" > wrote:
> >>

> >Please don't feed this troll. They have started a campaign to drag a war
> >from 2 other groups into this one. Thanks.
> >
> >Jill
> >

> Sorry, Jill, I didn't realize that. It seemed legitimate enough. And
> I HAVE had my own share of disasters in the kitchen. I'm scary
> sometimes, but I do still have all my fingers - at least for now.
>
> --

It was legitimate. Jill is just engaging in the "call anyone you don't
like a troll" hobby. She has also complained to my ISP but apparently
they told her to f*&k off. I post on topic, I don't use profanity,
she has no legitimate complaints. But will that stop her? Noooo!

Brick

On 17-Jul-2005, (AlleyGator) wrote:

> Wayne Mitchell > wrote:
>
> >But most importantly, I *never*, for any reason, take my
> >attention away from it while it is under pressure. Yes,
> >pressure cookers can malfunction; but the malfunction only
> >becomes catastrophic because of operator inattention.

> I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD <G> but i do have a problem with
> keeping track of things sometimes. I'm glad you have things under
> control, but I really don't trust myself all that much. I usually
> have about a hundred things going on at once (yes, I'm a moron) so I
> think I'll invest in a new one for my own safety. BTW, have you
> cooked dried beans of any kind (navy, pinto, whatever) and I wonder
> what your experience has been. I've been told you can cook dried
> beans of any kind in nothing flat, so I just wonder if you've tried
> that. Forgive me, I have a few dishes that I'm good at but overall,
> I'm a desperately bad cook. I can make an omlet on a good day but
> that's about it other than my list of specialties.
>
> --
> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
> At least now I have an excuse.

I pressure cook all types of dried beans. Always when I lived at 5000 ft
altitude in Longmont, CO, but still pretty regularly here in Tampa, FL.
There's not much difference in taste unless you over cook. And that's
easy to do because beans take only about 30 minutes or less in the
pressure cooker here at sea level. Be sure to cover your beans with at
least two inches of water. Set a timer lest you get distracted and forget
them. In a time related emergency, you can cool the cooker down
quickly under the kitchen faucet, but every manufacturer warns against
doing that. I don't know why. My mother always did it and the house
never burned down.

Given a preference, I like to soak overnight and then rinse beans before
simmering in fresh water.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Brick

On 17-Jul-2005, Wayne Mitchell > wrote:

> (AlleyGator) wrote:
>
> >I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD <G> but i do have a problem with
> >keeping track of things sometimes. I'm glad you have things under
> >control, but I really don't trust myself all that much. I usually
> >have about a hundred things going on at once (yes, I'm a moron) so I
> >think I'll invest in a new one for my own safety.

I do have ADD, but I'm not stupid. I use timers to trigger my
attention to events.

> Even with a newer model, the rule still holds. You *can't* have
> other things going on that you have to attend to. If you can't
> clear the decks and pay strict attention, better not to try
> using a pressure cooker at all.

What a bullshit statement. You make it sound like you have to
set a chair in front of the stove and not take your eyes off of it
for a second. That doesn't mean you can go outside and cut
the grass or wash the car. You can however proceed to put
the rest of the meal together and or catch your favorite soap
while waiting for the alarm to go off.

Pressure cooking is pretty much like stovetop cooking, except
faster. If you can't smell it yet, it isn't done. When it smells
real good, turn the heat off and wait until the pressure dies
naturally. It can take up to a half hour to cool down.

> > BTW, have you
> >cooked dried beans of any kind (navy, pinto, whatever) and I wonder
> >what your experience has been. I've been told you can cook dried
> >beans of any kind in nothing flat, so I just wonder if you've tried
> >that.

A year ago, I pressure cooked dried beans as a matter of course. I
didn't do them any other way. It takes 20 to 40 minutes depending
on how done you want them. Light them off and from the time the
thingy starts jiggling until you can smell the beans should be about
thirty minutes. I have time on my hands now so I soak them and simmer.
I expect that slow produces a better product if you have the time to
mess with it. Pressure cooked is pretty damned nice and a whole lot
quicker. People trying to scare you off are full of it. Worst accident
I ever heard of redecorated the kitchen ceiling when the safety plug
blew due to lack of water. They DO NOT blow up and are not a
safety hazard.

The individual talking about plugging the vent had obviously over-
filled his cooker. If you follow the instructions that does not
happen. I cook Lima, Great Northern, Navy, kidney and Pinto
beans in my cooker with no problems whatever. YOU CANNOT
FILL A PRESSURE COOKER TO 3/4 FULL AND EXPECT TO
GET AWAY WITH IT. Read the manufacturers instructions. It's
just possible that they know what they are doing.

> I don't do a lot of dry beans nowadays, but I have done in the
> past. They do tend to clog the safety openings of pressure
> cookers, but as long as you're right on deck you can bring them
> down, clear out the openings, and re-start them. It's a hassle,
> but worth it because of the time savings. A tablespoon of oil
> added to the cooking water helps reduce the likelihood of
> plugging.
>
> --
>
> Wayne M.

I don't see any hassle whatever with using a pressure cooker. In
my forty years or more of using a pressure cooker, I have never
encountered a plugged vent. I can't imagine what the hassle is.
Of course, I have been careful to follow the manufacturers
recommendations to not overfill the cooker.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Bock

Mary wrote:

> "Cheryl Perkins" > wrote in message
> > Victor Martinez > wrote:

> safe

> > > Modern pressure cookers have a special valve that will break off if the
> > > pressure gets too high, thus preventing an explosion (but probably
> > > covering your entire kitchen and any hoomins in it in whatever you were
> > > cooking, at a very, very high temperature).

> > No, it's mostly the ceiling directly above the stove and the wall behind
> > it that gets coated with, to take an example at random, soup.
> >
> > My grandmother used one for years, to the occasional grumbling of my
> > grandfather, a mechanic who knew a good bit about pressure and steam. She
> > never had an accident, and swore by hers as a great method for cooking
> > vegetables quickly. My granparents and I had different views on what
> > constitutes a well-cooked vegetable. I thought, barely softened with
> > crunch left, they thought, so soft you can practically puree it with a
> > fork.
> >
> > I still have mine, which I used to use a lot, but haven't used in years.
> > That's less for reasons having to do with soup on the ceiling and more to
> > do with an increased dependence on the microwave.
> >

> Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
> what the advantages are.

Well, for some beans using a pressure cooker is great if you don't have
lots of time to cook them. Some things should not be cooked in a
pressure cooker because they plug the steam valve. I like to pressure
cook my potatoes for mashing as boiling them seems to make them too
watery or wet. I think it is me and not the potatoes but that is how my
brain sees it.

A crock pot is nice to do dried beans in but my favourite, if possible,
is just a pot on the stove simmering.

In the olds days lots of vegetables were raw and home cooked as opposed
to today where they are bought canned, like beets.

Shaun aRe

"Mary" > wrote in message

> So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

I believe that would be the whole concept.

> And are they
> safe to use around cats?

Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.

Shaun aRe

Philip

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
enews.net...

> "Mary" > wrote in message
>
>> So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

> I believe that would be the whole concept.
>
>> And are they
>> safe to use around cats?

> Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
> safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.
>
> Shaun aRe

Hahhahahhaa

Notice Mary isn't concerned about CHILDREN, rather her cats.

Shaun aRe

"Philip" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> enews.net...
> >
> > "Mary" > wrote in message
> >
> >> So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

> > I believe that would be the whole concept.
> >
> >> And are they
> >> safe to use around cats?

> > Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
> > safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Hahhahahhaa

I am happy I made someone chuckle ',;~}~

> Notice Mary isn't concerned about CHILDREN, rather her cats.

Maybe she cannot fit her children in the pressure cooker?

Shaun aRe - It all just looks like trolling to me!
--
Sometimes, the true and living thought bubbling rapidly up from the
depths of the mind, surfaces with a severe case of the Bends.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

jmcquown wrote on 17 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> AlleyGator wrote:
> > "Mary" > wrote:
> >

> Please don't feed this troll. They have started a campaign to
> drag a war from 2 other groups into this one. Thanks.
>
> Jill

How about a nice article on how to mummify your own cat at home like
the Egyptians did. A nice little DIY article and cross post it between
the Pets group and some religion group? Surely that would distract them
and we could run away giggling.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?