Mark Thorson

Default Dangers of Beer Can Chicken

Mark Thorson wrote:

> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf
>
> earlier solvent-based can coatings are being
> replaced with UV-cure coatings to comply with
> environmental legislation against solvent emissions.

When I read some more of that report, I learned
that a) at the time of writing, no UV-cure inside
coatings had been approved by the FDA because
they contain photoinitiators that contaminate
the food, and b) FDA does not regulate materials
used on the outside of the can so manufacturers
are free to use whatever they want. Photoinitiators
are chemicals that generate FREE RADICALS when
exposed to light. They are used in UV-cure systems
to set off the chemical reactions that crosslink the
molecules in the coating, turning it from a liquid into
a hard solid.

You would put that inside your chicken?

Mark Thorson

Mark Thorson wrote:

> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf
>
> earlier solvent-based can coatings are being
> replaced with UV-cure coatings to comply with
> environmental legislation against solvent emissions.

When I read some more of that report, I learned
that a) at the time of writing, no UV-cure inside
coatings had been approved by the FDA because
they contain photoinitiators that contaminate
the food, and b) FDA does not regulate materials
used on the outside of the can so manufacturers
are free to use whatever they want. Photoinitiators
are chemicals that generate FREE RADICALS when
exposed to light. They are used in UV-cure systems
to set off the chemical reactions that crosslink the
molecules in the coating, turning it from a liquid into
a hard solid.

You would put that inside your chicken?

Curly Sue

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:38:39 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>According to this document:
>
>http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf

<snip>
>Even though beer can chicken may have been
>safe in the past, that's no guarantee that it remains
>a safe method of cooking today. Even if some
>beer cans are safe to use, that's no guarantee
>that others are not unsafe. Many beer manufacturers
>have toll-free hotlines that can advise you on
>whether their cans are safe to use.

Hopefully some entrepreneur will come up with a safe "beer can" so
people who enjoy this dish can continue to do so.

This reminds me of a fuss a few years ago of parents who were packing
their kids' lunches in bread bags turned inside out. Supposedly the
lettering and pictures on the bags were done with lead-containing ink
and people got freaked about contaminating the kids' lunches. For
some reason, exposing the kids to the grimy fingerprints of the people
who handle the bread bags in the store didn't bother them. I never
understood the turning the bags inside out part...

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>According to this document:
>
>http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf

<snip>
>Even though beer can chicken may have been
>safe in the past, that's no guarantee that it remains
>a safe method of cooking today. Even if some
>beer cans are safe to use, that's no guarantee
>that others are not unsafe. Many beer manufacturers
>have toll-free hotlines that can advise you on
>whether their cans are safe to use.

Hopefully some entrepreneur will come up with a safe "beer can" so
people who enjoy this dish can continue to do so.

This reminds me of a fuss a few years ago of parents who were packing
their kids' lunches in bread bags turned inside out. Supposedly the
lettering and pictures on the bags were done with lead-containing ink
and people got freaked about contaminating the kids' lunches. For
some reason, exposing the kids to the grimy fingerprints of the people
who handle the bread bags in the store didn't bother them. I never
understood the turning the bags inside out part...

Sue(tm)
Blair P. Houghton

Just spatchcock your bird.

--Blair
"The beer-can thing is the lesser
solution."

Blair P. Houghton

Just spatchcock your bird.

--Blair
"The beer-can thing is the lesser
solution."
Jack Schidt®

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf

<snippage>

Thanks for posting this, although my take on beer can chicken is it's a
gimmicky way to cook chicken with no benefit over just spatchcocking the
bird or even just cutting the bird in half and then grilling. I've tried it
and those claims of more tender meat or great taste from the beer/aromatic
herbs are over-stated.

Jack Cannery

Jack Schidt®

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf

<snippage>

Thanks for posting this, although my take on beer can chicken is it's a
gimmicky way to cook chicken with no benefit over just spatchcocking the
bird or even just cutting the bird in half and then grilling. I've tried it
and those claims of more tender meat or great taste from the beer/aromatic
herbs are over-stated.

Jack Cannery

Katra

In article >,
Randy > wrote:

> I agree, it is a gimmick that everybody tries once. -RP

They are now selling racks for this. ;-)
Holds the chicken upright with the can in the middle.

I've thought about buying a can of beer, cutting the top off with a can
opener and pouring the beer into a pan in the garden for the slugs, then
re-filling the can with chicken stock and some spices and using that
instead. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Randy > wrote:

> I agree, it is a gimmick that everybody tries once. -RP

They are now selling racks for this. ;-)
Holds the chicken upright with the can in the middle.

I've thought about buying a can of beer, cutting the top off with a can
opener and pouring the beer into a pan in the garden for the slugs, then
re-filling the can with chicken stock and some spices and using that
instead. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

maxine in ri

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > According to this document:
> >
> > http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf
> >
> > earlier solvent-based can coatings are being
> > replaced with UV-cure coatings to comply with
> > environmental legislation against solvent emissions.

> When I read some more of that report, I learned
> that a) at the time of writing, no UV-cure inside
> coatings had been approved by the FDA because
> they contain photoinitiators that contaminate
> the food, and b) FDA does not regulate materials
> used on the outside of the can so manufacturers
> are free to use whatever they want. Photoinitiators
> are chemicals that generate FREE RADICALS when
> exposed to light. They are used in UV-cure systems
> to set off the chemical reactions that crosslink the
> molecules in the coating, turning it from a liquid into
> a hard solid.
>
> You would put that inside your chicken?

That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster. I work in
printing, and have a healthy respect for the MSDS info in our processes.

maxine in ri
maxine in ri

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > According to this document:
> >
> > http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf
> >
> > earlier solvent-based can coatings are being
> > replaced with UV-cure coatings to comply with
> > environmental legislation against solvent emissions.

> When I read some more of that report, I learned
> that a) at the time of writing, no UV-cure inside
> coatings had been approved by the FDA because
> they contain photoinitiators that contaminate
> the food, and b) FDA does not regulate materials
> used on the outside of the can so manufacturers
> are free to use whatever they want. Photoinitiators
> are chemicals that generate FREE RADICALS when
> exposed to light. They are used in UV-cure systems
> to set off the chemical reactions that crosslink the
> molecules in the coating, turning it from a liquid into
> a hard solid.
>
> You would put that inside your chicken?

That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster. I work in
printing, and have a healthy respect for the MSDS info in our processes.

maxine in ri
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:35:25 -0400, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster.

We recently found one of those, still in the box, at the local thrift
store. Crash likes to make game hens, and this will hold four, if I
remember correctly.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster.

We recently found one of those, still in the box, at the local thrift
store. Crash likes to make game hens, and this will hold four, if I
remember correctly.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster.

We recently found one of those, still in the box, at the local thrift
store. Crash likes to make game hens, and this will hold four, if I
remember correctly.

Carol
sf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:38:39 GMT, Mark Thorson
> wrote:

> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf

I still don't understand the WHY about beer can chicken.

It's a waste of good beer and we have those gizmos to stand
up the chicken with...

sf

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:55:10 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:35:25 -0400, maxine in ri >
> wrote:
>
> >That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster.

> We recently found one of those, still in the box, at the local thrift
> store. Crash likes to make game hens, and this will hold four, if I
> remember correctly.

I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one
vertical roaster. Next time Crash does it, take a picture
and post it on abf!

sf

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:55:10 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:35:25 -0400, maxine in ri >
> wrote:
>
> >That's why I never threw out my vertical poultry roaster.

> We recently found one of those, still in the box, at the local thrift
> store. Crash likes to make game hens, and this will hold four, if I
> remember correctly.

I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one
vertical roaster. Next time Crash does it, take a picture
and post it on abf!

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:57:41 GMT, sf > wrote:

>I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one
>vertical roaster. Next time Crash does it, take a picture
>and post it on abf!

Okey-dokey.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:57:41 GMT, sf > wrote:

>I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one
>vertical roaster. Next time Crash does it, take a picture
>and post it on abf!

Okey-dokey.

Carol
PENMART01

sf > wrote:

>I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one vertical roaster.

Me too... and I'm jealous!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

sf > wrote:

>I'm having trouble visualizing 4 cornish hens on one vertical roaster.

Me too... and I'm jealous!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Barry Grau

Mark Thorson > wrote in message >...
> According to this document:
>
> http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/coat/mcan/pic-can.pdf
>
> earlier solvent-based can coatings are being
> replaced with UV-cure coatings to comply with
> environmental legislation against solvent emissions.
> The older coatings were baked in ovens at
> temperatures of about 350-400F, which is at
> or above the temperature you'd normally bake
> a chicken at. But the UV-cure coatings never
> see the inside of an oven.

Oh god. We're going to start seeing postings announcing old beer cans
for sale on E-Bay.

-bwg
byakee

A shot rang out! And Alan Moorman said:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:30:44 -0700, Randy
> > wrote:
>
> >I agree, it is a gimmick that everybody tries once. -RP

> Uh. A FEW people try once.

Agreed -- I still haven't tried it and probably won't. It just doesn't
sound appealing to me. Waste of a good beer and all that...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
byakee

A shot rang out! And Alan Moorman said:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:30:44 -0700, Randy
> > wrote:
>
> >I agree, it is a gimmick that everybody tries once. -RP

> Uh. A FEW people try once.

Agreed -- I still haven't tried it and probably won't. It just doesn't
sound appealing to me. Waste of a good beer and all that...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)

REC: BBQ Beer Can Chicken PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 14 13-06-2009 02:39 AM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
Beer Can Chicken 2 Tim Recipes 0 03-08-2005 08:51 PM
Beer Can Chicken Tim Recipes 0 03-08-2005 08:50 PM
Vertical Chicken Roaster: Beer Can Chicken Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 01:58 AM