Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Beef Stroganoff

What cut of meat should I use?
vega

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:01:55 GMT,
" <> wrote:

>What cut of meat should I use?

Step 1. Find a ************ cow.....get it?

LOLOL

OK, sorry.

I use a chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch peices. I don't cut it into
cubes. I like an irregular shape.

The Ranger

Wayne Boatwright > answered
Mitch@this_is_not_my_real_address' question in message
> > What cut of meat should I use?
> >

> The best is made with beef tenderloin, quickly cooked. Many
> other cuts *may* be used.

That would be SUCH a waste of a good cut of beef; using tenderloin for
stroganoff... That would be like grinding up Kobe beef for a burger;
what's the point of using it if you're going to take away its very
qualities?

Flank steak is the only cut for stroganoff. Cut into cross-grain strips,
a quarter inch thick, probably four inches long, browned... I love using
rice as the bed for this dish but have also enjoyed it with regular egg
noodles.

The Ranger

Dimitri

> wrote in message
> What cut of meat should I use?

If you are making a "traditional" version then fillet Mignon - it is a very
quick sauté with mushrooms, a little stock and finished with sour cream.

Other than that I would suggest sirloin - depending on the recipe.

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 12 Sep 2005 07:09:28a, vega wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 12 Sep 2005 16:04:44 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 12 Sep 2005 06:20:02a, vega wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On 12 Sep 2005 15:17:32 +0200, Wayne Boatwright

>>> A hight end meat would be filet mignon or mignon tips. Too expensive
>>> for my taste. I perfer filet mignon or mignon tips with out any kind
>>> of sauce or gravey.

>>I don't make beef stroganoff often, but I especially like the texture of
>>tenderloin in the dish.
>>
>>> I agree that tenderloin is great. But I also think that the less
>>> tender meats often have the most flavor. Broasting can make chuck as
>>> tender as tenderloin while imparting a beefier flavor.

>>You're absolutely right about the flavor. However, with the onions,
>>mushrooms, and butter sauteed together, I don't find the tenderloin
>>lacking in flavor.
>>
>>> Deglazing the pan you brown and saute the stuff (beef, onion,
>>> mushrooms, etc.) in with beef broth also packs alot of flav.. All the
>>> good stuff is in those lil bits

>>Absolutely!

> Ever try it deglazing with red wine?

Yes, when I have it, but we don't keep much wine on hand.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>Absolutely!

>>Ever try it deglazing with red wine?

> Yes, when I have it, but we don't keep much wine on hand.

It doesn't keep very long at my house either.

Best regards,
Bob
jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:

>>> Ever try it deglazing with red wine?

>> Yes, when I have it, but we don't keep much wine on hand.
>>

> It doesn't keep very long at my house either.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

LOL! I resemble that remark!

Jill

cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:

> >> Yes, when I have it, but we don't keep much wine on hand.
> >>

> > It doesn't keep very long at my house either.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> LOL! I resemble that remark!
>
> Jill

Wine.... now you're talking.... good stuff
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
" <> wrote:

> What cut of meat should I use?

I'd vote for chuck. :-)
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > answered
> Mitch@this_is_not_my_real_address' question in message
> > > What cut of meat should I use?
> > >

> > The best is made with beef tenderloin, quickly cooked. Many
> > other cuts *may* be used.

> That would be SUCH a waste of a good cut of beef; using tenderloin for
> stroganoff... That would be like grinding up Kobe beef for a burger;
> what's the point of using it if you're going to take away its very
> qualities?
>
> Flank steak is the only cut for stroganoff. Cut into cross-grain strips,
> a quarter inch thick, probably four inches long, browned... I love using
> rice as the bed for this dish but have also enjoyed it with regular egg
> noodles.
>
> The Ranger

Flank steak????? Ack!

BTW, Kobe beef hamburgers ARE sold in Las Vegas.

Even on the best cows, there is always trim. :-)
--
Om.

Curt Nelson

> What cut of meat should I use?

It isn't often when I have something useful to say on this group, but I do
think you'll like my thoughts on Stroganoff. I actually think of myself as
somewhat of a somewhat sucessful Stroganoff dude.

What's worked the best for me is when I hang out with my Dad and we braise a
brisket very slowly. We do sort of a pot-roast thing with onions and carrots
while watching sports. I take the leftovers and reserve our braising liquid
(after straining it through a cheesecloth) as well as the remaining
fork-tender brisket.

The next morning I defat the refrigerated stock and use that... it has big
flavor. I usually start with sautéing the mushrooms in a bit of butter and
then deglaze them with some decent Merlot, add the stock and sour cream and
maybe a tablespoon of capers and a bit of fresh ground pepper. Add the
brisket at the end, sliced thinly on the bias until just heated through and
serve over egg noodles. If you need to thicken your sauce, I usually use a
bit of arrowroot. It doesn't seem to have the raw taste that cornstarch or
flour can have and it gives the dish a nice glossy appearance. If you used
potatoes in yesterday's brisket, you might find that there is enough starch
already to thicken things up.

It always seems to turn out unbelieveably rich and tender. I think the red
wine and dash of capers really adds a nice aromatic quality.

Good luck!

--
Hasta,
Curt Nelson

vega wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:01:55 GMT,
> " <> wrote:
>
> >What cut of meat should I use?

> Step 1. Find a ************ cow.....get it?
>

> LOLOL
>
> OK, sorry.
>
> I use a chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch peices. I don't cut it into
> cubes. I like an irregular shape.

I agree about the chuck, but it's important to use the mckormacks
stroganoff sauce powder, not one of the cheap imitations.

-bwg

Victor Sack

" <> wrote:

> What cut of meat should I use?

First, I unfortunately have to ask you what you understand under "Beef
Stroganoff"? This is because this dish, like fettuccine all'Alfredo,
have have lost most of its original meaning, it seems, at least in the
USA.

Now, if you want to make something close to the original, whether you
follow Molokhovets or Pokhlyobkin, you would use the most tender cut you
can find. Pokhlyobkin specifies fillet (tenderloin); Molokhovets just
says "very tender beef".

Victor
Damsel in dis Dress

" > said:

> vega wrote:
> >
> > I use a chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch peices. I don't cut it into
> > cubes. I like an irregular shape.

> I agree about the chuck, but it's important to use the mckormacks
> stroganoff sauce powder, not one of the cheap imitations.

You're in rare form today, Barry. LOL!

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:

> I'd vote for chuck. :-)

What office is Chuck running for?

Carol

vega

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:48:33 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress

" > said:

>> vega wrote:
>> >
>> > I use a chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch peices. I don't cut it into
>> > cubes. I like an irregular shape.

>> I agree about the chuck, but it's important to use the mckormacks
>> stroganoff sauce powder, not one of the cheap imitations.

>You're in rare form today, Barry. LOL!
>
>Carol

LOL

Yea, and only the best caned shrooms you can find!

vega

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:52:25 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:
>
>> I'd vote for chuck. :-)

>What office is Chuck running for?
>
>Carol

Had a friend named Chuck. Hiis wifes' name was Dianna. They spent the
week end. I asked my wife to wake them for breakfast. I
said,......wait for it..................I said,
"Wake...........................

.....Up Chuck and Di!

Heheheh. I kill mayself !

Damsel in dis Dress

vega > said:

> >> I agree about the chuck, but it's important to use the mckormacks
> >> stroganoff sauce powder, not one of the cheap imitations.

> Yea, and only the best caned shrooms you can find!

Right. None of those stems and pieces. Spring for the slices or whole
caps. They're worth the extra investment.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

vega > said:

> Had a friend named Chuck. Hiis wifes' name was Dianna. They spent the
> week end. I asked my wife to wake them for breakfast. I
> said,......wait for it..................I said,
> "Wake...........................
>
> ....Up Chuck and Di!
>
> Heheheh. I kill mayself !

After that joke, maybe you should. LOL!

Carol

Nancy Young

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> " > said:
>
>> vega wrote:

>> > I use a chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch peices. I don't cut it into
>> > cubes. I like an irregular shape.

>> I agree about the chuck, but it's important to use the mckormacks
>> stroganoff sauce powder, not one of the cheap imitations.

> You're in rare form today, Barry. LOL!

Honestly, and you know he's well aware it calls for an envelope
of onion soup mix. Honestly.

nancy

Jude

I used vegi-burgers =)

But that's just me

Dimitri

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> vega > said:

>> Yea, and only the best caned shrooms you can find!

> Right. None of those stems and pieces. Spring for the slices or whole
> caps. They're worth the extra investment.
>
> Carol

And don't forget the IMO.

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I used vegi-burgers =)
>
> But that's just me

I know it's called Veginoff!

Dimitri

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" > said:

> aem wrote:
> > Curt Nelson wrote:
> >>
> >> It isn't often when I have something useful to say on this group,
> >> but I do think you'll like my thoughts on Stroganoff. I actually
> >> think of myself as somewhat of a somewhat sucessful Stroganoff dude.
> >> [snip]

> > This sounds quite good. Now you need to come up with a name as
> > ingenious as this dish is, because <smile> of course it's not
> > Stroganoff. -aem

> Maybe it's Alfredo?!

This is the only true recipe for Alfredo sauce:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pastorio's Half-Assed ******* Sauce

Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic
more butter -- if desired
2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
1 large egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
flat leaf parsley
fresh ground black pepper

Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim crap (my how often that shows up in
culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
pasta.

For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.

Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

"This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
that itself is enormously flexible."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is a satisfying, creamy dish that can be extended by dropping
in some cooked, chopped bacon for a fake Carbonara or some veggies for a
fake primavera or some leftover lobster, truffles and caviar if the queen
pops in suddenly unannounced. It's a good base for adding lots of different
things either as extenders or as flavorings. Or both.
Clay Irving

On 2005-09-12, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, when I have it, but we don't keep much wine on hand.

Neither do I. I buy it all the time, but never have much wine on hand!

--
Clay Irving >
Today I...No, that wasn't me. - Steven Wright

Clay Irving

On 2005-09-12, The Ranger > wrote:

> That would be SUCH a waste of a good cut of beef; using tenderloin for
> stroganoff... That would be like grinding up Kobe beef for a burger;
> what's the point of using it if you're going to take away its very
> qualities?

I've never tasted (authentic) Kobe beef ground -- Does it lose the melt
in your mouth succulence of the Kobe beef I had prepared Teppinyake-style
in Taiwan?

--
Clay Irving >
I have never seen anything fill up a vacuum so fast and still suck.
Clay Irving

On 2005-09-12, Curt Nelson > wrote:

> It isn't often when I have something useful to say on this group, but I do
> think you'll like my thoughts on Stroganoff. I actually think of myself as
> somewhat of a somewhat sucessful Stroganoff dude.

Wow! You must really get the girls with that line!

> What's worked the best for me is when I hang out with my Dad and we braise a
> brisket very slowly. We do sort of a pot-roast thing with onions and carrots
> while watching sports. I take the leftovers and reserve our braising liquid
> (after straining it through a cheesecloth) as well as the remaining
> fork-tender brisket.
>
> The next morning I defat the refrigerated stock and use that... it has big
> flavor. I usually start with sautéing the mushrooms in a bit of butter and
> then deglaze them with some decent Merlot, add the stock and sour cream and
> maybe a tablespoon of capers and a bit of fresh ground pepper. Add the
> brisket at the end, sliced thinly on the bias until just heated through and
> serve over egg noodles. If you need to thicken your sauce, I usually use a
> bit of arrowroot. It doesn't seem to have the raw taste that cornstarch or
> flour can have and it gives the dish a nice glossy appearance. If you used
> potatoes in yesterday's brisket, you might find that there is enough starch
> already to thicken things up.
>
> It always seems to turn out unbelieveably rich and tender. I think the red
> wine and dash of capers really adds a nice aromatic quality.

Double wow! Your technique looks deee-licious. Thanks for the post.

--
Clay Irving >
My mother taught me IRONY:
Jen

"> Had a friend named Chuck. Hiis wifes' name was Dianna. They spent the
> week end. I asked my wife to wake them for breakfast. I
> said,......wait for it..................I said,
> "Wake...........................
>
> ....Up Chuck and Di!
>
> Heheheh. I kill mayself !

I'm so glad people here have a sense of humour and are respectful to each
other, I've just stopped using another newsgroup that was much the opposite.

Jen

Charles Gifford

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright > answered
> > The best is made with beef tenderloin, quickly cooked. Many
> > other cuts *may* be used.

> That would be SUCH a waste of a good cut of beef; using tenderloin for
> stroganoff... That would be like grinding up Kobe beef for a burger;
> what's the point of using it if you're going to take away its very
> qualities?

Okay Ranger! I've waited a long time to say this to you! You are very wrong!
It has to be beef tenderloin. If you make it correctly it does not take away
the tenderloin's qualities. <grin>

Charlie

vega

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:16:22 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>"> Had a friend named Chuck. Hiis wifes' name was Dianna. They spent the
>> week end. I asked my wife to wake them for breakfast. I
>> said,......wait for it..................I said,
>> "Wake...........................
>>
>> ....Up Chuck and Di!
>>
>> Heheheh. I kill mayself !
>>

>I'm so glad people here have a sense of humour and are respectful to each
>other, I've just stopped using another newsgroup that was much the opposite.
>
>Jen

I just got here. Was it different before I got here?

Beef Stroganoff ??? Todd Diabetic 4 24-12-2013 05:03 AM
Beef Stroganoff [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 07-02-2006 04:32 AM
BEEF STROGANOFF Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:45 PM
Beef Stroganoff Monsur Fromage du Pollet Diabetic 7 27-05-2005 11:37 PM
Beef Stroganoff Kate ...... General Cooking 3 10-09-2004 06:22 PM