jmcquown

Default REQ: Basil Cream Sauce

Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
it over pan-fried slices of polenta.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
>it over pan-fried slices of polenta.

Make a thin bechamel and add chopped fresh basil?

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Rusty

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:52:40 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
>it over pan-fried slices of polenta.
>
>Jill

This recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.com.

http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BsilCrmSc.asp

Basil Cream Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 ounces pine nuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 pint light cream

DIRECTIONS:
In a food processor, combine basil and garlic. Begin processing, and
pour in olive oil in a thin stream. Process for about 40 seconds, or
until mixture begins to emulsify. Add pine nuts and Parmesan, then
blend for 1 minute.
Heat cream in a saucepan over low heat until simmering. Pour 1/2 of
the hot cream into the processor with basil pesto, and pulse for 20
seconds to incorporate. Pour mixture back into cream, and simmer for 5
minutes, or until thickened.

Original recipe yield: 6 servings

Rusty
Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> "jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
> >it over pan-fried slices of polenta.

> Make a thin bechamel and add chopped fresh basil?
>
> Carol

Cream of chicken canned soup with minced fresh basil? ;-)

Kat <ducking and running>

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
Rusty > wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:52:40 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
> >it over pan-fried slices of polenta.
> >
> >Jill

> This recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.com.
>
> http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BsilCrmSc.asp
>

> Basil Cream Sauce
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 cups fresh basil leaves
> 4 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 2 ounces pine nuts
> 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1 pint light cream
>

> DIRECTIONS:
> In a food processor, combine basil and garlic. Begin processing, and
> pour in olive oil in a thin stream. Process for about 40 seconds, or
> until mixture begins to emulsify. Add pine nuts and Parmesan, then
> blend for 1 minute.
> Heat cream in a saucepan over low heat until simmering. Pour 1/2 of
> the hot cream into the processor with basil pesto, and pulse for 20
> seconds to incorporate. Pour mixture back into cream, and simmer for 5
> minutes, or until thickened.
>
> Original recipe yield: 6 servings
>

> Rusty

That sounds like a quick cream Pesto sauce! :-)

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Damsel in dis Dress

Katra >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like to serve
>> >it over pan-fried slices of polenta.

>> Make a thin bechamel and add chopped fresh basil?
>>
>> Carol

>Cream of chicken canned soup with minced fresh basil? ;-)
>
>Kat <ducking and running>

Hey, that WOULD save time! Great idea!

Carol, running even faster
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> Rusty > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:52:40 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like
>>> to serve
>>> it over pan-fried slices of polenta.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> This recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.com.
>>
>> http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BsilCrmSc.asp
>>

>> Basil Cream Sauce
>>
>> INGREDIENTS:
>> 2 cups fresh basil leaves
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced
>> 1/4 cup olive oil
>> 2 ounces pine nuts
>> 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>> salt and pepper to taste
>> 1 pint light cream
>>

>> Rusty

> That sounds like a quick cream Pesto sauce! :-)
>
> Kat

Sans garlic, yes, it does. And it will fit the bill nicely! I'll probably
even add garlic!

Jill

jmcquown

Rusty wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:52:40 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a good recipe for a quick basil cream sauce? I'd like
>> to serve it over pan-fried slices of polenta.
>>
>> Jill

> This recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.com.
>
> http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BsilCrmSc.asp
>

> Basil Cream Sauce
>
> Rusty

Sounds perfect! Thank you, Rusty

notbob

On 2005-04-05, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Hey, that WOULD save time! Great idea!
>
> Carol, running even faster

Howzabout a frozen alfredo dinner? ....nuke the sauce packet, add
basil leaves.

nb ....passing both Katra and Carol in golf cart....
Felice Friese

"Katra" offered her take on basil cream sauce:

> Cream of chicken canned soup with minced fresh basil? ;-)

Fresh basil? FRESH? Ya run out of dried?

Felice

Damsel in dis Dress

notbob >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>On 2005-04-05, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Hey, that WOULD save time! Great idea!
>>
>> Carol, running even faster

>Howzabout a frozen alfredo dinner? ....nuke the sauce packet, add
>basil leaves.
>
>nb ....passing both Katra and Carol in golf cart....

<thunks notbob in the noggin with a dayglow orange golf ball, er, meatball>

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-04-05, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Hey, that WOULD save time! Great idea!
>>
>> Carol, running even faster

> Howzabout a frozen alfredo dinner? ....nuke the sauce packet, add
> basil leaves.
>
> nb ....passing both Katra and Carol in golf cart....

Ha! My dad's golf cart is faster than yours! I'll catch you!

Jill

jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
> Katra wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Rusty > wrote:

>>> This recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.com.
>>>
>>> http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BsilCrmSc.asp
>>>

>>> Basil Cream Sauce
>>>
>>> INGREDIENTS:
>>> 2 cups fresh basil leaves
>>> 4 cloves garlic, minced
>>> 1/4 cup olive oil
>>> 2 ounces pine nuts
>>> 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>>> salt and pepper to taste
>>> 1 pint light cream
>>>

>>> Rusty

>> That sounds like a quick cream Pesto sauce! :-)
>>
>> Kat
>>

> Sans garlic, yes, it does. And it will fit the bill nicely! I'll
> probably even add garlic!
>
> Jill

OOOPS, how did I miss the garlic already in the ingredients list? Still,
it's what I was looking for. I've never tried adding cream to a pesto blend
before.

Jill

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Katra wrote:

> >> That sounds like a quick cream Pesto sauce! :-)
> >>
> >> Kat
> >>

> > Sans garlic, yes, it does. And it will fit the bill nicely! I'll
> > probably even add garlic!
> >
> > Jill

> OOOPS, how did I miss the garlic already in the ingredients list? Still,
> it's what I was looking for. I've never tried adding cream to a pesto blend
> before.
>
> Jill

Me neither!
It sounds wonderful, but I'd probaby substitute sour cream. :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"Felice Friese" > wrote:

> "Katra" offered her take on basil cream sauce:
> >
> > Cream of chicken canned soup with minced fresh basil? ;-)

> Fresh basil? FRESH? Ya run out of dried?
>
> Felice

<smiles>
Hey, even _I_ have some standards! <lol>

The fresh basil is out in my herb garden next to the house! ;-D

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Sans garlic, yes, it does. And it will fit the bill nicely! I'll
>>> probably even add garlic!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> OOOPS, how did I miss the garlic already in the ingredients list?
>> Still,
>> it's what I was looking for. I've never tried adding cream to a
>> pesto blend before.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Me neither!
> It sounds wonderful, but I'd probaby substitute sour cream. :-)

I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not sure what
that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite things.
If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I don't
have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.

Jill

>> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> OOOPS, how did I miss the garlic already in the ingredients list?
> >> Still,
> >> it's what I was looking for. I've never tried adding cream to a
> >> pesto blend before.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Me neither!
> > It sounds wonderful, but I'd probaby substitute sour cream. :-)
> >

> I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not sure what
> that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite things.
> If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I don't
> have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.
>
> Jill

Plain yogurt might work for a thinner sauce, but that flavor is even
more tart IMHO than sour cream?

Hmmmmm...... Interesting ideas!

Pecans in place of walnuts. <lol>

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:

>>> Me neither!
>>> It sounds wonderful, but I'd probaby substitute sour cream. :-)
>>>

>> I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not
>> sure what
>> that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite
>> things.
>> If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I
>> don't
>> have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.
>>
>> Jill

> Plain yogurt might work for a thinner sauce, but that flavor is even
> more tart IMHO than sour cream?
>
> Hmmmmm...... Interesting ideas!
>
> Pecans in place of walnuts. <lol>
>

>> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

I find plain yoghurt to be... plain, not tart. But as long as we're
stretching ideas, why not cream cheese or Neufchatel? LOL And maybe a
splash of white wine?

Jill

Basil cream sauce would also go well over lobster ravioli I would
think...
Stephanie

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:

>>> Me neither!
>>> It sounds wonderful, but I'd probaby substitute sour cream. :-)

I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer. Guess what?
I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the small store I went -
they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy doesn't arrive until Friday.
So, I'm giving your idea a try. I bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream

Jill

sf

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:05:06 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not sure what
> that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite things.
> If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I don't
> have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.

I don't think sour cream OR yogurt would add to that mixture. They
would just mask the taste of fresh basil.

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our
election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude"

"If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our
drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements,
for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no time to think, no means of
calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by
hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers.
And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle
in one instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is
reduced to be mere automatons of misery.

"And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that and in its train wretchedness and oppression." - Thomas Jefferson - Author of The Declaration of Independence, Founding Father and Third U.S. President
sf

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:15:17 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

> Pecans in place of walnuts. <lol>

Pine nuts are traditional, but I prefer nothing.

[...]

sf

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:23:09 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I find plain yoghurt to be... plain, not tart. But as long as we're
> stretching ideas, why not cream cheese or Neufchatel? LOL And maybe a
> splash of white wine?
>
> Jill

You two are being way too southern for my taste.

:/

[...]

sf

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:07:58 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer. Guess what?
> I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the small store I went -
> they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy doesn't arrive until Friday.
> So, I'm giving your idea a try. I bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream

Having a grandson, we have full fat milk in the house all the time. I
can use it in my coffee when I don't have half & half and I don't get
upset.

sf
<very picky in some areas>

[...]

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer. Guess what?
> I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the small store I went -
> they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy doesn't arrive until Friday.
> So, I'm giving your idea a try. I bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream
>

> Jill

Ok, please report??? <lol>
I've personally never found sour cream to be "sour".
Just ever so slightly tart and sweet, and creamy.

I've used it straight a number of times on sugared fresh fruit!

:-)
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not
> >> sure what
> >> that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite
> >> things.
> >> If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I
> >> don't
> >> have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Plain yogurt might work for a thinner sauce, but that flavor is even
> > more tart IMHO than sour cream?
> >
> > Hmmmmm...... Interesting ideas!
> >
> > Pecans in place of walnuts. <lol>
> >

> >> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=0&user id=k
> atra
>
> I find plain yoghurt to be... plain, not tart. But as long as we're
> stretching ideas, why not cream cheese or Neufchatel? LOL And maybe a
> splash of white wine?
>
> Jill

<rolls eyes>
Creative cooking at it's best..... ;-D

There are a million and one uses for cream cheese!

Ever make your own cheese balls?
--
K.

Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:05:06 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

> > I want something a little less thick than sour cream and I'm not sure what
> > that would do to the taste. Sour cream is not one of my favourite things.
> > If I were going that route I'd probably use plain yoghurt, except I don't
> > have any Oh, and I'll use walnuts rather than pine nuts.

> I don't think sour cream OR yogurt would add to that mixture. They
> would just mask the taste of fresh basil.

Ok, howabout cream cheese? <lol>
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:15:17 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> > Pecans in place of walnuts. <lol>

> Pine nuts are traditional, but I prefer nothing.

No nuts at all? Okay.
Mom always used the pine nuts.
They have a very unique flavor!
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:23:09 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

> > I find plain yoghurt to be... plain, not tart. But as long as we're
> > stretching ideas, why not cream cheese or Neufchatel? LOL And maybe a
> > splash of white wine?
> >
> > Jill

> You two are being way too southern for my taste.
>
> :/

<grins>
Remember, we are ducking and running for cover while we discuss
different ideas......... ;-D
--
K.
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:07:58 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer.
>> Guess what? I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the
>> small store I went - they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy
>> doesn't arrive until Friday. So, I'm giving your idea a try. I
>> bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream

> Having a grandson, we have full fat milk in the house all the time. I
> can use it in my coffee when I don't have half & half and I don't get
> upset.
>
> sf
> <very picky in some areas>

I don't have children or grandchildren and frankly prefer to drink coffee
black. Milk, very cold skimmed - to drink whole milk tastes, well, FAT.
But to each their own I do cook with cream but don't ask me to drink it!
I suppose this is why I drink wine

Jill

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:

>> I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer.
>> Guess what? I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the
>> small store I went - they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy
>> doesn't arrive until Friday. So, I'm giving your idea a try. I
>> bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Ok, please report??? <lol>
> I've personally never found sour cream to be "sour".
> Just ever so slightly tart and sweet, and creamy.
>
> I've used it straight a number of times on sugared fresh fruit!
>
> :-)

Okay, will do. Gonna make the polenta tomorrow. Then I'll do the cream
sauce with sour cream and report back.

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I thought I had cream or light cream in the fridge or freezer.
> >> Guess what? I had neither. Not even half & half. So down to the
> >> small store I went - they are out of cream, too! And the dairy guy
> >> doesn't arrive until Friday. So, I'm giving your idea a try. I
> >> bought an 8 oz. container of sour cream
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Ok, please report??? <lol>
> > I've personally never found sour cream to be "sour".
> > Just ever so slightly tart and sweet, and creamy.
> >
> > I've used it straight a number of times on sugared fresh fruit!
> >
> > :-)

> Okay, will do. Gonna make the polenta tomorrow. Then I'll do the cream
> sauce with sour cream and report back.
>
> Jill

What are you putting into the Polenta?
--
Om.

Bob

Jill wrote:

> I don't have children or grandchildren and frankly prefer to drink coffee
> black. Milk, very cold skimmed - to drink whole milk tastes, well, FAT.
> But to each their own I do cook with cream but don't ask me to drink
> it! I suppose this is why I drink wine

We're so very different, you and I....

I *can't* drink coffee without milk; it tears up my digestive system too
badly. And just yesterday, I was lamenting the fact that half & half tastes
so good on cereal (hot or cold), but is so detrimental to my health. For
that matter, it's the cream that makes Thai iced tea so very, very good.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 03:31:08a, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Jill wrote:
>
>> I don't have children or grandchildren and frankly prefer to drink
>> coffee black. Milk, very cold skimmed - to drink whole milk tastes,
>> well, FAT. But to each their own I do cook with cream but don't ask
>> me to drink it! I suppose this is why I drink wine

> We're so very different, you and I....
>
> I *can't* drink coffee without milk; it tears up my digestive system too
> badly. And just yesterday, I was lamenting the fact that half & half
> tastes so good on cereal (hot or cold), but is so detrimental to my
> health. For that matter, it's the cream that makes Thai iced tea so
> very, very good.
>
> Bob

Have you tried any of the newer fat-free half and half products like Land
o' Lakes? I started by using it in coffee, but have since found it
acceptable in cereal and as an addition to mashed potatoes. I can't stand
milk in coffee.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:

>>> Ok, please report??? <lol>
>>> I've personally never found sour cream to be "sour".
>>> Just ever so slightly tart and sweet, and creamy.
>>>
>>> I've used it straight a number of times on sugared fresh fruit!
>>>
>>> :-)

>> Okay, will do. Gonna make the polenta tomorrow. Then I'll do the
>> cream sauce with sour cream and report back.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> What are you putting into the Polenta?

Plain polenta - thus the desire to sauce it.

From La Cuchina:

2 quarts water, boiling
2 tsp. salt
3 c. cornmeal

Sprinkle in half the cornmeal as the water just boils, stirring with a
wooden spoon. Reduce heat and as the mixture thickens, if necessary add
more boiling water. When the mixture is smooth, sprinkle in remaining meal,
adding more boiling water if the mixture becomes too thick.

Cook, stirring constantly, 40-50 minutes until the mixture leaves the sides
of the pan fairly clean. Turn the mixture onto a board.

At this point I'll allow the mixture to cool; will actually refrigerate and
then cut it into slices. Then I'll pan fry it. Was thinking "grill" but
the skies are rocking this morning so it's stovetop all the way today.

Jill

Nancy Young

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Jill wrote:
>
>> I don't have children or grandchildren and frankly prefer to drink coffee
>> black. Milk, very cold skimmed - to drink whole milk tastes, well, FAT.

> I *can't* drink coffee without milk; it tears up my digestive system too
> badly. And just yesterday, I was lamenting the fact that half & half
> tastes
> so good on cereal (hot or cold), but is so detrimental to my health.

Ugh, I cannot stand anything less than half and half in my coffee. Okay, I
no longer drink coffee, but that's not the point. There is always light
cream
in my refrigerator for coffee.

Jill, is it skimmed milk where you live? Here it's skim milk. I'm ignoring
the shuddering from the idea of putting it in coffee, but I'll get over it.

nancy