Nobody

Default Basil-tomato paste BBQ sauce

My mom, God rest her soul, used to make a barbecue sauce that had tomato
paste, dried basil, onions, brown sugar, and probably a couple of other
ingredients. She used it on chicken and ribs.

I lost the recipe, but I think I remember enough of it to recreate it. I was
wondering, though, whether it rings a bell for anyone else. Mom probably got
it from a magazine such as Sunset, so I would bet it's "out there"
somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Nobody"
> wrote:

> My mom, God rest her soul, used to make a barbecue sauce that had
> tomato paste, dried basil, onions, brown sugar, and probably a couple
> of other ingredients. She used it on chicken and ribs.
>
> I lost the recipe, but I think I remember enough of it to recreate
> it. I was wondering, though, whether it rings a bell for anyone else.
> Mom probably got it from a magazine such as Sunset, so I would bet
> it's "out there" somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

This doesn't have basil, but it's good - from my brother Pete. I
haven't made it in years - don't know if the hickory-smoked salt and
charcoal seasoning are still around. FWIW.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Pete's Double-Triple Hickory Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By : Pete - 1977 (might be a BH&G recipe)
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Sauces

1/4 cup butter, margarine, or vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic -- crushed
28 ounces canned tomatoes -- broken up
6 ounces canned tomato paste
1 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt
1/2 teaspoon charcoal seasoning (optional)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 drops hot pepper sauce

In a large saucepan, heat butter until hot. Add onion and garlic; sauté
5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir ni remaining ingredients and bring mixture to boil. reduce het and
simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Strain.

If not using immediately, store sauce in a covered jar in refrigerator.
It will keep well for 2-3 weeks.

Makes about 4 cups.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; less than one gram
Fat (6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg
Cholesterol; 280mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Serving Ideas : Pete says "use with spareribs, chicken & barbecued
beef."

NOTES : Pete's notes include this: Sauce may be frozen. And, "Barb, I
always make a double batch of tis and freeze wat I don't get conned into
giving away."

_____
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! 5/3/05

sauces

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 large basil leaves julienne fine
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water

Mix together brown sugar, paprika, salt, dry mustard, bay leaves, chili
powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire, vinegar, tomato juice, catsup and
water in large saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat
to simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard bay
leaves. Makes about 4 cups.

--------------------------
sauces

2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
2 large basil leaves julienne fine
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes; to taste
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup

Combine everything and simmer for 15 min. Refrigerate overnight, if
possible.