Old 14-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Default "Soup Bones" vs. "Beef Marrow Bones"

So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
like it).

They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup bones"
and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.

They *kinda* look alike

am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an unknown
taste sensation that may be nasty?

Thanks,

STRATEGY

Old 14-02-2005, 09:07 PM
pavane

wrote in message
ups.com...

So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
like it).

They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup bones"
and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.

They *kinda* look alike

am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an unknown
taste sensation that may be nasty?

Actually you are setting yourself up for a fabulous flavor, that of
beef marrow, an essential component of Sauce Bordelaise and
a not-to-be-without flavor in beef stews and so forth. The marrow
is the softish beige colored stuff in the middle of the bones, btw,
and is eminently edible spread on bread and lightly salted after
it has been poached a bit. You made a step in the right direction.

pavane

Old 14-02-2005, 09:43 PM
rosie

Oh Boy !! The marrow is the best part!! When I was a kid, we used to
all fight over the " weasel " I wonder why we called it that ....
Rosie

Old 15-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com,
"rosie" wrote:

Oh Boy !! The marrow is the best part!! When I was a kid, we used to
all fight over the " weasel " I wonder why we called it that ....
Rosie

That's the "schpik" (shpeek). :-) Slovak word.
--
-Barb
www.jamlady.eboard.com; Sam pics added 2-7-05
Old 15-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I always look for marrow bones with meat surrounding the bone for

soup.
I like the cooked marrow smeared on a piece of bread. Long ago they
were cheap, too.

Cheap, nuthin'... that's right, nuthin'... bones were free. In fact
you didn't even need to ask, the butcher would automatically shtup a
couple pounds of bone in the order... 'specially a young pretty woman.

Old 15-02-2005, 06:33 PM
[email protected]

Thanks for all the responses.

Well, I used the marrow bones just like I would the soup bones, boiled
them for 4 hours for the stock, did not do anything special to extract
the marrow, but I imagine some or all came out throught the boiling..

Short story...best damn soup I've made in years!

I boiled the bones with a couple of carrots and a couple celery stalks
and an onion, then took out the solids (I like vegetables but not when
they're all soggy) then started my white beans, added a lb of ground
browned beef, cut up 3 small roma tomatoes and put them in for the last
hour, salt, pepper and some celery salt.

I don't know how much of a difference the marrow bones made, but I
could swear there was a new enhanced flavor never before tasted in my
soup

STRATEGY

Old 16-02-2005, 06:01 PM
[email protected]

Katra wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Sounds yummy! :-)

it sounds pretty simple and plain, but it is soooooooooo good and
flavorful!

I don't cook a lot, but this is one worth bragging about

Did you blanch and peel the tomatoes first?

I did not

I find tomato peels to be pretty much inedible in soups?

I do recall, somewhere around my 2nd bowl, having to pause to pick
something out of my teeth

STRATEGY

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 16-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Katra

Dog3 wrote:

"Maverick" wrote in
:

"Dog3" wrote in message
1...
wrote in
ups.com:

Strategy,

The biggest difference between the two (that I have been able to see)
is the soup bone has more meat on it. Both soup bones and beef marrow
bones make excellent additions to stock or broth. OTOH, the marrow
bones are safe
for dogs and a lot of people buy them as treats for their pets.

Michael

Michael, My MIL had me grill some marrow bones the last time we
visited. FOR THE DOGS! I love my dogs, got three of them, but I don't
grill/cook/marinade/stew anything for them. From my MIL's reaction, I
now know what a conniption-fit(sp) looks like. I finally said, "Ok,
I'll grill 'em."

I buy my dogs treats but I ain't cooking for them. Period.

Bret
Hopes his wife doesn't decided to start cooking for them

Visiting my mother was always a pain, especially when we had 3 dogs. Mother
made them hamburgers, pancakes etc. The 2 Scotties were diabetic (2 insulin
shots daily). I kept telling her not to feed them but she did anyway. All
of my pets are on strict diets and get no table food. Well, the Mutt
(Missy) discovered how to beg from my mother and brought the bad habit home
with her. The Scotties died several years ago about 8 months apart. We now
have the begging Missy and the greedy cat, Hoot.

Michael

I buy pre-cooked/smoked marrow bones (knobby joint ends) for my dogs...
They chew them down until they get all the smoked marrow out. ;-)

Old 16-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Hahabogus

Dog3 wrote in
1:

Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would
appreciate a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the
veterinarian.

Michael

If you boil them first...That stops splintering getting into their gums
etc.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Old 17-02-2005, 04:15 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

Hahabogus , if that's their real name, wrote:

Dog3 wrote in
21:

Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would
appreciate a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the
veterinarian.

If you boil them first...That stops splintering getting into their gums
etc.

We give the bones to our dogs straight out of the package. No injuries or
deaths to date.

Carol

Old 17-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Katra

Dog3 wrote:

Katra wrote in
:

In article ,
Dog3 wrote:

"Maverick" wrote in
:

"Dog3" wrote in message
[...]

;-)

Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would appreciate
a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the veterinarian.

Michael

I actually rarely buy rawhide for my dogs.
There can be a choking risk with it. Not common, but it does happen!

The pre-smoked marrow joints I get for my dogs are sold for dogs at pet
stores, feed stores, and even Wal-mart in the pet section!

My border collie also loves squeekie toys, (in fact, I heard her
molesting the new one I bought the other night a little bit ago, right
outside my bedroom window! lol) as well as rubber Kong's stuffed with
p-nut butter or cheese.

I've also bought them dried piggy noses and ears, as well as the calf
hooves.

When I adopted Jewely (the border collie) from the shelter, I discovered
the first couple of days that she had an unacceptable chewing habit! She
was about 9 months old. I really prefer adopting older dogs as I really
don't have time for puppies.

I called the shelter (aka dog pound) that I had adopted her from and
asked for advice. They recommended Kong's, and jewels loved both cheese
and p-nut butter, (turns out the shelties did too!) and the kong turned
her on to dog toys so that helped solve the innapropriate chewing
problem. I'm really sold on that toy! They appear to be expensive at
first, but they really are not as they are nearly indestructable so last
forever!

Kat