Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup Bones

2 questions:

1. Who browns them before use?

2. Do you reuse them?

I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
consensus is.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 22, 11:23*am, "Debbie" > wrote:
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. *Who browns them before use?
>
> 2. *Do you reuse them?
>
> I brown mine and have not reused them. *Just looking to see what the general
> consensus is.
>
> Debbie

Brown them.

After they are used , give them to the neighbors dogs, or your dogs if
you have them. Dogs love big ol soup bones to worry around and play
with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:23:03 -0500, "Debbie"
> wrote:

>2 questions:
>
>1. Who browns them before use?
>
>2. Do you reuse them?
>
>I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
>consensus is.

Count me on your team.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?
>
> 2. Do you reuse them?
>
> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
> general consensus is.
>
> Debbie

I buy the big ones to make bird suet out of.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message

> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?
>>
>> 2. Do you reuse them?
>>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general consensus is.
>>
>> Debbie

> I buy the big ones to make bird suet out of.

I don't use bones for soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 22, 12:26*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > On Jan 22, 11:23 am, "Debbie" > wrote:
> > > 2 questions:

> > > 1. *Who browns them before use?

> > > 2. *Do you reuse them?

> > > I brown mine and have not reused them. *Just looking to see what the general
> > > consensus is.

> > > Debbie

> > Brown them.

> > After they are used , give them to the neighbors dogs, or your dogs if
> > you have them. * Dogs love big ol soup bones to worry around and play
> > with.

> I'm not sure this is good advice. *The bones will be
> brittle from when they were browned, and break into
> sharp pieces. *I don't know about dogs, but this is
> why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
> (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
> here, so no need to correct me on that point.)- Hide quoted text -

After the bones are browned you make stock out of them by
boiling......I've never had a problem with them splintering.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Jan 22, 11:23 am, "Debbie" > wrote:
> > 2 questions:
> >
> > 1. Who browns them before use?
> >
> > 2. Do you reuse them?
> >
> > I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
> > consensus is.
> >
> > Debbie

> Brown them.
>
> After they are used , give them to the neighbors dogs, or your dogs if
> you have them. Dogs love big ol soup bones to worry around and play
> with.

I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be
brittle from when they were browned, and break into
sharp pieces. I don't know about dogs, but this is
why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
(I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
here, so no need to correct me on that point.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Jan 22, 12:26 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > ImStillMags wrote:
> >
> > > After they are used , give them to the neighbors dogs, or your dogs if
> > > you have them. Dogs love big ol soup bones to worry around and play
> > > with.

> > I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be
> > brittle from when they were browned, and break into
> > sharp pieces. I don't know about dogs, but this is
> > why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
> > (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
> > here, so no need to correct me on that point.)

> After the bones are browned you make stock out of them by
> boiling......I've never had a problem with them splintering.

Did you give them to a dog? I wasn't referring to
splintering that would occur before the bones are
given to a dog. The dog would break them up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I Soup Bones

wrote:

>2 questions:
>
>1. Who browns them before use?
>
>2. Do you reuse them?
>
>I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
>consensus is.

Depends. Most of the time I do as I usually make a brown stock. I
don't when I want a white beef stock or a veal stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:34:39 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:

>> > I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be
>> > brittle from when they were browned, and break into
>> > sharp pieces. I don't know about dogs, but this is
>> > why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
>> > (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
>> > here, so no need to correct me on that point.)

>> After the bones are browned you make stock out of them by
>> boiling......I've never had a problem with them splintering.

>Did you give them to a dog? I wasn't referring to
>splintering that would occur before the bones are
>given to a dog. The dog would break them up.

Dogs break up bones, big beef bones are the best to give because they
just wear them down. Bones from other animals are not recommended.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be
> brittle from when they were browned, and break into
> sharp pieces. I don't know about dogs, but this is
> why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
> (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
> here, so no need to correct me on that point.)

How did the dogs of our childhood survive? We used them for garbage
disposals, giving them anything we couldn't or wouldn't eat. It has only
been fairly recently when affluence allowed people to take their pet to the
vet rather than let them die in the back yard, that we came to understand
how bad bones and rawhides were on pets.

Just because a dog can swallow something, does not mean they can digest it
and pass it. And sometimes it merely chokes them to death.

But everyone can do what they want with their own dog. And those who have
never had a dog with an expensive or fatal incident with a bone can wail
that IT JUST CAN'T HAPPEN!

People are light years ahead of pet care than five, ten, twenty years ago.

I have a purebred that fat will kill because of pancreatitis. If I had this
dog when I was a kid, he'd be dead by now.

One size does not fit all. All advice is not good for everyone.

And opinions are like ................. well, you know the rest.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie > wrote:

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?

It depends on the recipe, that is why there are white and brown stocks.

> 2. Do you reuse them?

I personally do not, but if the bones have not been completely boiled
out, there is nothing to prevent you from using them again.

> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
> consensus is.

Recipes are relevant in this case, not any kind of consensus.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> ImStillMags wrote:

> > After they are used , give them to the neighbors dogs, or your dogs if
> > you have them. Dogs love big ol soup bones to worry around and play
> > with.

> I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be
> brittle from when they were browned, and break into
> sharp pieces. I don't know about dogs, but this is
> why you never should give chicken bones to a cat.
> (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones
> here, so no need to correct me on that point.)

A couple of years ago, I was at a church camp and we had pork ribs for
dinner. Towards the end of dinner, somebody came around with a bucket
to collect the bones for some dogs. A girl complained that these bones
weren't good for dogs. Nobody paid her much attention. She was just a
kid, what would she know? She looked like she was going to cry. I felt
sorry for her. I'm sure she had sat at home, listening to the horror
stories about bones from her parents, who were both veterinarians.

I don't have a dog, so I don't know a lot, but I believe there are a lot
of factors, including whether the bone is cooked, that affect whether it
is safe. And I know some dogs do OK, and some don't.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:23:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>A couple of years ago, I was at a church camp and we had pork ribs for
>dinner. Towards the end of dinner, somebody came around with a bucket
>to collect the bones for some dogs. A girl complained that these bones
>weren't good for dogs. Nobody paid her much attention. She was just a
>kid, what would she know? She looked like she was going to cry. I felt
>sorry for her. I'm sure she had sat at home, listening to the horror
>stories about bones from her parents, who were both veterinarians.
>
>I don't have a dog, so I don't know a lot, but I believe there are a lot
>of factors, including whether the bone is cooked, that affect whether it
>is safe. And I know some dogs do OK, and some don't.

Our old dog got hold of a ham bone. I had to bring him to a vet to
get "cleaned out" several times. That's about as graphic as I should
get here. Only beef bones for pets.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:28:21 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:23:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>A couple of years ago, I was at a church camp and we had pork ribs for
>>dinner. Towards the end of dinner, somebody came around with a bucket
>>to collect the bones for some dogs. A girl complained that these bones
>>weren't good for dogs. Nobody paid her much attention. She was just a
>>kid, what would she know? She looked like she was going to cry. I felt
>>sorry for her. I'm sure she had sat at home, listening to the horror
>>stories about bones from her parents, who were both veterinarians.
>>
>>I don't have a dog, so I don't know a lot, but I believe there are a lot
>>of factors, including whether the bone is cooked, that affect whether it
>>is safe. And I know some dogs do OK, and some don't.

>Our old dog got hold of a ham bone. I had to bring him to a vet to
>get "cleaned out" several times. That's about as graphic as I should
>get here. Only beef bones for pets.
>
>Lou

You're as dumb as Dumb Abel... actually you're dumber.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:28:21 -0600, Lou Decruss
| > wrote:
|
| >On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:23:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
| >
| >>A couple of years ago, I was at a church camp and we had pork ribs for
| >>dinner. Towards the end of dinner, somebody came around with a bucket
| >>to collect the bones for some dogs. A girl complained that these bones
| >>weren't good for dogs. Nobody paid her much attention. She was just a
| >>kid, what would she know? She looked like she was going to cry. I felt
| >>sorry for her. I'm sure she had sat at home, listening to the horror
| >>stories about bones from her parents, who were both veterinarians.
| >>
| >>I don't have a dog, so I don't know a lot, but I believe there are a lot
| >>of factors, including whether the bone is cooked, that affect whether it
| >>is safe. And I know some dogs do OK, and some don't.
| >
| >Our old dog got hold of a ham bone. I had to bring him to a vet to
| >get "cleaned out" several times. That's about as graphic as I should
| >get here. Only beef bones for pets.
| >
| >Lou
|
| You're as dumb as Dumb Abel... actually you're dumber.

Oh shut up and eat your ham bone.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?

me. in the oven.

> 2. Do you reuse them?

nope.

> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
> general consensus is.

Have you seen what stores want for beef bones these days? I used to get
them for free. Now they are 5 bucks a pound. I was going to make a
Vietnamese pho noodle beef soup but the 15 dollar sticker for the bones made
me switch to Campbell's.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>"Debbie" wrote:
>>2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?

>me. in the oven.
>> 2. Do you reuse them?

>nope.
>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general consensus is.

>Have you seen what stores want for beef bones these days? I used to get
>them for free. Now they are 5 bucks a pound. I was going to make a
>Vietnamese pho noodle beef soup but the 15 dollar sticker for the bones made
>me switch to Campbell's.

Bones aren't free anymore because there are very few actual butcher
shops anymore and even the few that are left purchase the same
boneless cryovac as stupidmarkets. I haven't used bones since they
started charging for them. A seven bone chuck roast will cost half as
much, will produce a much richer beef soup, and you'll have all that
flavorful beef for your soup, or you can trim out enough to make a
couple three luscious burgers. Or use flanken or short ribs... any
chuck cut will produce a richer soup than plain old bones... and even
the bones you can buy are old, dry, and have no meat at all on them.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_chuck_primal_cuts.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?

> me. in the oven.
>

>> 2. Do you reuse them?

> nope.
>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general consensus is.

> Have you seen what stores want for beef bones these days? I used to get
> them for free. Now they are 5 bucks a pound. I was going to make a
> Vietnamese pho noodle beef soup but the 15 dollar sticker for the bones
> made me switch to Campbell's.

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much the way I do things. Sometimes it
is wise to take a 2nd look at things to see it the old way is still as good
as it used to be!

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
| >"Debbie" wrote:
| >>2 questions:
| >>
| >> 1. Who browns them before use?
| >
| >me. in the oven.
| >> 2. Do you reuse them?
| >
| >nope.
| >
| >> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
| >> general consensus is.
| >
| >Have you seen what stores want for beef bones these days? I used to get
| >them for free. Now they are 5 bucks a pound. I was going to make a
| >Vietnamese pho noodle beef soup but the 15 dollar sticker for the bones made
| >me switch to Campbell's.
| >

| Bones aren't free anymore because there are very few actual butcher
| shops anymore and even the few that are left purchase the same
| boneless cryovac as stupidmarkets. I haven't used bones since they
| started charging for them. A seven bone chuck roast will cost half as
| much, will produce a much richer beef soup, and you'll have all that
| flavorful beef for your soup, or you can trim out enough to make a
| couple three luscious burgers. Or use flanken or short ribs... any
| chuck cut will produce a richer soup than plain old bones... and even
| the bones you can buy are old, dry, and have no meat at all on them.
|
| http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_chuck_primal_cuts.htm

Bleah. Bones without marrow are bones without flavor, without
beef essence. "Plain old bones..." will make wonderful soups and
stocks, while your chucks will make old stringy meatbroth without
soul, essence or any character other than limp strands of dry meat.

It is amazing that you apparently have never tasted these things that
you babble about. But then you would know (well maybe not) that
you are wrong. Your taste is another question indeed.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:31:05 -0500, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>| >Our old dog got hold of a ham bone. I had to bring him to a vet to
>| >get "cleaned out" several times. That's about as graphic as I should
>| >get here. Only beef bones for pets.
>| >
>| >Lou
>|
>| You're as dumb as Dumb Abel... actually you're dumber.
>
>Oh shut up and eat your ham bone.
>
>pavane

Yabut he'd probably enjoy the clean out.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?
>
> 2. Do you reuse them?
>
> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
> consensus is.
>
> Debbie

I brown beef soup bones but not others. Reuse them? For what? I've
never thought there'd be any flavor left in them after simmering in a
soup kettle for 3 hours or so on the stove.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:34:39 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>ImStillMags wrote:

>>> After the bones are browned you make stock out of them by
>>> boiling......I've never had a problem with them splintering.

>>Did you give them to a dog? I wasn't referring to
>>splintering that would occur before the bones are
>>given to a dog. The dog would break them up.

> Dogs break up bones, big beef bones are the best to give because they
> just wear them down. Bones from other animals are not recommended.

Weight bearing bones are not good for dogs. Also they must be raw.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I'm not sure this is good advice. The bones will be brittle from
> when they were browned, and break into sharp pieces. I don't know
> about dogs, but this is why you never should give chicken bones to a
> cat. (I realize we weren't talking about chicken bones here, so no
> need to correct me on that point.)

Mark, when I was in New York there were people who were absolutely
I asked why and was told it was for their dogs. Something about raw
bones being okay, but not cooked bones. All I could see was chicken
soup that would never be. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:31:05 -0500, pavane wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>| On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:28:21 -0600, Lou Decruss
>| > wrote:

>|>Our old dog got hold of a ham bone. I had to bring him to a vet to
>|>get "cleaned out" several times. That's about as graphic as I should
>|>get here. Only beef bones for pets.
>|>
>|>Lou
>|
>| You're as dumb as Dumb Abel... actually you're dumber.
>
> Oh shut up and eat your ham bone.
>
> pavane

there no bones in spam. well, whole bones.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:38:25 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?

> me. in the oven.
>

>> 2. Do you reuse them?

> nope.
>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general consensus is.

> Have you seen what stores want for beef bones these days? I used to get
> them for free. Now they are 5 bucks a pound. I was going to make a
> Vietnamese pho noodle beef soup but the 15 dollar sticker for the bones made
> me switch to Campbell's.
>
> Paul

it is pretty amazing what they want for bones.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Mark, when I was in New York there were people who were absolutely
> I asked why and was told it was for their dogs. Something about raw
> bones being okay, but not cooked bones. All I could see was chicken
> soup that would never be. :-)

lol I know what you mean) But raw bones, with plenty of meat, are very
good for dogs

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:54:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>
>> 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?
>>
>> 2. Do you reuse them?
>>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the general
>> consensus is.
>>
>> Debbie

> I brown beef soup bones but not others. Reuse them? For what? I've
> never thought there'd be any flavor left in them after simmering in a
> soup kettle for 3 hours or so on the stove.

i was thinking the same thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>
>> 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?
>>
>> 2. Do you reuse them?
>>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general
>> consensus is.
>>
>> Debbie

> I brown beef soup bones but not others. Reuse them? For what? I've
> never thought there'd be any flavor left in them after simmering in a
> soup kettle for 3 hours or so on the stove.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

I concur. What else could possibly be leached out from already roasted then
simmered bones? (I do think to make a nice rich stock the bones should be
browned/roasted first.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message
>2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?

Me

> 2. Do you reuse them?

Nope

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:31:53 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from brooklyn1 > contains these words:
>
>> Bones aren't free anymore because there are very few actual butcher
>> shops anymore and even the few that are left purchase the same
>> boneless cryovac as stupidmarkets.

> Too bad. We still have real butchers who buy fresh beef carcases
>and hang them to mature. Mine gives away beef bones free to any customer.

When soup bones are free is the only reason to use them for stock...
free is how they got to be called soup bones, because years ago if
anyone had to buy bones for soup they'd not... soup greens used to be
free too (those were the blemished veggies that couldn't be sold as
new). Back then every neighborhood in the US had a number of stand
alone butcher shops, greengrocers, and every other kind of shop... the
shop keepers knew their regular customers and they were who got the
freebies... liver and other organ meat used to be free too. I
remember the neighborhood fih monger having huge galvanized taks
filled with live fish, regualr patrons got fish heads adn trimmings fo
rfree, back then the fish monger would toss in a couple pounds of
fresh shrimp with an order for free too, roe was free too. Nowadays
if one has to buy soup bones it makes much more sense to buy an
inexpensive tough cut of meat for stock... no way will a few pounds of
bones produce a better stock than the same few pounds of-meat. Adn
beef marrow adds very little to stock other than fat, and using marrow
bones fo rstock is a terible waste, those bones are supposed to be cut
into short lengths, gently roasted, and the marrow scooped out and
eaten, it's considered a delicacy, a delicacy mostly because it's not
good for you... then those bones would be discarded.

> Dogs should be given bones raw; cooked bones may break into
>splinters which could cause internal damage.

All bones can be broken and cause serious damage to dogs, even
death... no vet with a modicum of integrity/intelligence will suggest
giving dogs bones, cooked or raw. Better pet shops sell bones that
have been specially selected and specially prepared for dogs, but
still all dogs eat differently so not every dog should be given
bones... giving any dog bones is very risky... anyone who values
their pet (dog or cat) should never give them any bones, no rawhide
chews or pig ears either... these things are all very risky, many a
dog has aspirated a small slimey bit of rawhide and choked to death...
many a dog, and cat, had to be put down because they damaged their
esophagus from a sharp bone sliver. For your pet's dental health all
the major pet food companies market specially prepared dry foods
specifically for the purpose of removing tartar and keeping gums
healthy. Dogs don't need bones for any reason whatsoever. If your
dog likes to chew then to keep it from your shoes and furniture give
it those nylon bones, those are indestructible and can't harm your
pet. Btw, dogs are not true carnivores, but cats are... do not
indescriminately feed them each others food. Anyone who has visited a
zoo will note that none of the canines and felines are given bones,
not ever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Who browns them before use?

I roast beef bones for stock, but not chicken bones.

> 2. Do you reuse them?

No, certainly not.

Serene

--
Serene

"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*
how fast it is going." - Piglet and Rob Wynne, on alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote

> When soup bones are free is the only reason to use them for stock...

I'll have to disagree but I come from a particular stance. I need the marrow
according to several Docs now over time, but in careful amounts so as to
keep the cholestrol levels in scale.

> anyone had to buy bones for soup they'd not... soup greens used to be
> free too (those were the blemished veggies that couldn't be sold as

We wierded out a Japan grocer on that. There was one fellow who spoke
pretty good english. He asked why all the Americans would buy the 1/2 price
wilting ones (note, still edible not moldy or anything bad) as we explained
'crockpots' and 'soups'. He put up a small bin with a note in Japanese and
English, on what it was for and inside, he had what you mean as soup
veggies.

>> Dogs should be given bones raw; cooked bones may break into
>>splinters which could cause internal damage.

> All bones can be broken and cause serious damage to dogs, even
> death... no vet with a modicum of integrity/intelligence will suggest
> giving dogs bones, cooked or raw. Better pet shops sell bones that
> have been specially selected and specially prepared for dogs, but
> still all dogs eat differently so not every dog should be given
> bones... giving any dog bones is very risky... anyone who values

Depends on the dog type but I get the fancy ones from the pets store. In
fact, I need to get Cash-pup another as he's eaten most of the current one.
I can't get him rawhide of any kind. The 'tough stuff' that should last a
month with a german shepard, lasts 20 mins with Cash-pup before it's gone.

Cash is a beagle and bull mastiff mix. (Bull Mastiff is a mastiff and
English full sized bull dog mix).

Cash does NOT get any leftover bones from home use or fresh from the
grocery, only the ones specially smoked and roasted at the pet store. He
ignores plastic bones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>
>> 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Who browns them before use?
>>
>> 2. Do you reuse them?
>>
>> I brown mine and have not reused them. Just looking to see what the
>> general
>> consensus is.
>>
>> Debbie

> I brown beef soup bones but not others. Reuse them? For what? I've
> never thought there'd be any flavor left in them after simmering in a
> soup kettle for 3 hours or so on the stove.

Thought I had read in this group a few months ago someone who reused them.
I never have, and figured I may as well check to see if I was missing
something! :-)

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 12:35*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
[snip-o'-da-Sheldumb-crap]
> When soup bones are free is the only reason to use them for stock...

BS. Soup bones haven't been "free" for several decades. They're great
for adding body to stock or stew.

As you so often post, "TIAD is all you have."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote in message
> The message >
> from "Debbie" > contains these words:
>
>> Thought I had read in this group a few months ago someone who reused
>> them.
>> I never have, and figured I may as well check to see if I was missing
>> something! :-)

> Maybe you were thinking of , re-using the left over bones of a
> roast chicken or roast joint, to make stock.

I found the post. I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. It was by
Charlene and can be found in google groups:

http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.fo...d3 76d812e2cb
Charlene View profile
More options Aug 20 1997, 2:00 am

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: "Charlene" >
Date: 1997/08/20
Subject: Soup Bones
I just enjoyed the second boiling of my soup bones today. The stock is
great and the 3rd time will be better yet. BTW, you'll know when you've
extracted the final juices from the bone; they will produce a less milky
stock. They are good for, I would say, 4 boilings, maybe 5, some people
push it longer, but I don't because I notice the milky look is
disappearing. Now, to answer your questions, you can put the bones in the
freezer until you need them next time. And you can do this each time after
you use them. I try to use them up within a month, maybe a week longer.
It's easy for me to use them up because I like a good soup once a week.
Remember, the first boiling is nothing like the second boiling which really
starts to bring out the best flavor. Personally, I notice a difference in
the taste between a soup made with just water or the first boiling of the
bones and one made with the milkier stock of the second or third boilng.
Hope you enjoy the results like I have. I'm still amazed by it.

Sincerely wishing you happy cooking,

Char

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:
> I found the post. I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. It was by
> Charlene and can be found in google groups:

> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> From: "Charlene" >
> Date: 1997/08/20
> Subject: Soup Bones
> I just enjoyed the second boiling of my soup bones today. The stock is
> great and the 3rd time will be better yet. BTW, you'll know when you've
> extracted the final juices from the bone; they will produce a less milky
> stock. They are good for, I would say, 4 boilings, maybe 5, some people

> Char

> Debbie

Who knew. I still can't imagine it. :-) And I'm not even tempted to
try it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 24, 10:13 am, "Debbie" > wrote:
> I found the post. I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. It was by
> Charlene and can be found in google groups:
> From: "Charlene" >
> Date: 1997/08/20
> Subject: Soup Bones
>
> I just enjoyed the second boiling of my soup bones today. The stock is
> great and the 3rd time will be better yet. BTW, you'll know when you've
> extracted the final juices from the bone; they will produce a less milky
> stock. They are good for, I would say, 4 boilings, maybe 5, some people
> push it longer, but I don't because I notice the milky look is
> disappearing. ]snip]

I don't think this is very good advice. Perhaps she said originally
how long she spent making the stock but it's not here. The revealing
clue, to me, is her saying 'boiling.' Good stock is never boiled, it
is simmered more slowly, such that there is perhaps one bubble per
minute. This very slow extraction continues for many hours, six at a
minimum for beef stock, up to 12 or even more. You're not going to do
this a second time if you've done it right the first time. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>> I found the post. I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. It was by
>> Charlene and can be found in google groups:

>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>> From: "Charlene" >
>> Date: 1997/08/20
>> Subject: Soup Bones
>> I just enjoyed the second boiling of my soup bones today. The stock is
>> great and the 3rd time will be better yet. BTW, you'll know when you've
>> extracted the final juices from the bone; they will produce a less milky
>> stock. They are good for, I would say, 4 boilings, maybe 5, some people

>> Char

>> Debbie

> Who knew. I still can't imagine it. :-) And I'm not even tempted to
> try it.

Disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Jan 24, 10:13 am, "Debbie" > wrote:
>> I found the post. I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. It was by
>> Charlene and can be found in google groups:
>> From: "Charlene" >
>> Date: 1997/08/20
>> Subject: Soup Bones
>>
>> I just enjoyed the second boiling of my soup bones today. The stock is
>> great and the 3rd time will be better yet. BTW, you'll know when you've
>> extracted the final juices from the bone; they will produce a less milky
>> stock. They are good for, I would say, 4 boilings, maybe 5, some people
>> push it longer, but I don't because I notice the milky look is
>> disappearing. ]snip]

> I don't think this is very good advice. Perhaps she said originally
> how long she spent making the stock but it's not here. The revealing
> clue, to me, is her saying 'boiling.' Good stock is never boiled, it
> is simmered more slowly, such that there is perhaps one bubble per
> minute. This very slow extraction continues for many hours, six at a
> minimum for beef stock, up to 12 or even more. You're not going to do
> this a second time if you've done it right the first time. -aem

I thought the same. I see the original article was 13 years ago, so I read
it when "google was being my friend". I will stick to my original method.

Debbie

Skittles Have Bones In Them Celebrity Perkoff Club Vegan 10 15-05-2008 09:55 PM
No bones? Goomba38 General Cooking 38 28-11-2006 07:33 AM
"Soup Bones" vs. "Beef Marrow Bones" [email protected] General Cooking 22 17-02-2005 08:23 PM
availability of bones for chicken soup Julia Altshuler General Cooking 134 19-11-2003 06:46 PM
Bones Veracosa Sushi 12 13-10-2003 03:44 AM