Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

Default Marrow Bones! Help

Picked up a couple of marrow bones, with mostly lean meat surrounding,
about the size of a strip steak, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

What would you do with them? I've seen huge marrow bones with no meat;
these are smaller, not as much marrow. I'm guessing I've just bought
meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Stark >
wrote:

> Picked up a couple of marrow bones, with mostly lean meat surrounding,
> about the size of a strip steak, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
>
> What would you do with them? I've seen huge marrow bones with no meat;
> these are smaller, not as much marrow. I'm guessing I've just bought
> meat.

I'd make stew! :-)
Roast them first to add more flavor.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Stark" > wrote in message
> Picked up a couple of marrow bones, with mostly lean meat surrounding,
> about the size of a strip steak, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
>
> What would you do with them? I've seen huge marrow bones with no meat;
> these are smaller, not as much marrow. I'm guessing I've just bought
> meat.

Sounds like they were mislabeled. From your description you have slices of
shank, tough but flavorful meat that I like to use to make beef stock. The
bones may well have some marrow in them, though.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Stark" > wrote in message
> > Picked up a couple of marrow bones, with mostly lean meat surrounding,
> > about the size of a strip steak, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
> >
> > What would you do with them? I've seen huge marrow bones with no meat;
> > these are smaller, not as much marrow. I'm guessing I've just bought
> > meat.

> Sounds like they were mislabeled. From your description you have slices of
> shank, tough but flavorful meat that I like to use to make beef stock. The
> bones may well have some marrow in them, though.

If they are shank as it seems, the meat will be very flavorful but
tough. You can make the Mexican beef soup called Cocido. I posted a
recipe that appeared in the L.A. Times not too long ago, but if it's
not in the archives there are plenty more to be found. It's quite
delicious. If not cocido, then you can give them a stew-type treatment
because they do need long slow cooking to overcome their inherent
toughness. I have substituted shanks in recipes written for oxtails
with excellent results. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

In article .com>, aem
> wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > "Stark" > wrote in message
> > > Picked up a couple of marrow bones, with mostly lean meat surrounding,
> > > about the size of a strip steak, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
> > >
> > > What would you do with them? I've seen huge marrow bones with no meat;
> > > these are smaller, not as much marrow. I'm guessing I've just bought
> > > meat.

> > Sounds like they were mislabeled. From your description you have slices of
> > shank, tough but flavorful meat that I like to use to make beef stock. The
> > bones may well have some marrow in them, though.
> >

> If they are shank as it seems, the meat will be very flavorful but
> tough. You can make the Mexican beef soup called Cocido. I posted a
> recipe that appeared in the L.A. Times not too long ago, but if it's
> not in the archives there are plenty more to be found. It's quite
> delicious. If not cocido, then you can give them a stew-type treatment
> because they do need long slow cooking to overcome their inherent
> toughness. I have substituted shanks in recipes written for oxtails
> with excellent results. -aem

Thanks all. I'll try a stew/soup, maybe a cocido tho' I don't know if I
can handle the coblets of fresh corn. Be an interesting experiment at
table to see what dinner guests do. Cornish game hens always create a
near-riot. My most recent experiment was serving pomegranite arils on a
salad. Had guests spitting seeds on the table. Guess I need a better
class of dinner guests.

Marrow Jam Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2007 05:29 AM
Marrow hell in the UK Tim General Cooking 12 22-10-2006 03:36 PM
Marrow dwacôn General Cooking 1 04-10-2005 02:21 AM
"Soup Bones" vs. "Beef Marrow Bones" [email protected] General Cooking 22 17-02-2005 08:23 PM
Marrow Martyn Scott Vegetarian cooking 3 03-10-2004 01:30 AM