Julia Altshuler

Default availability of bones for chicken soup

I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
aren't available at the supermarket?

If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something else?

--Lia

levelwave

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?

I've asked and asked and asked... and not once has anyone said "Yes, we
sell chicken bones"...

~john!

....and they always look at me funny for asking

PENMART01

In article <qiQsb.141846$9E1.717742@attbi_s52>, Julia Altshuler
> writes:

>I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
>boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
>for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
>chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
>learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
>package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
>broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
>for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
>aren't available at the supermarket?
>
>If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
>and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
>use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
>long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
>the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
>make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
>have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
>was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup?

Chicken *meat* puts the flavor in chicken soup

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

JANIC412

Did you add any onion, celery, carrots or salt and pepper,herbs of any type
with your chicken legs to the soup pot? Maybe a teaspoon of chicken flavored
granules to add richness.BTW, I use the thighs and remove almost all of the
extra fat, you need a little fat for the flavor before slowly simmering for
about 2 hours. Strain off the broth, discard the simmered veggies then add
fresh vegetables and the chicken meat cut into bite size pieces. Cook until the
veggies are done then add the cooked noodles or cooked rice. And no, the
markets do not sell chicken bones although you may be able to find the necks
and backs. Just depends on what area of the country you live in. Here in the
South, they are fairly easy to find. Jan
Gerald I. evenden

This is got to be a troll.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for

Peter Aitken

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

else?

> --Lia

The flavor is mostly in the meat - there's very little if any flavor in the
bones themselves. I think that the "bones" people use to make chicken soup
refer to the leftovers from a roast chicken, and the flavor comes primnarily
from the bits of meat that are still attached. I have never seen chicken
bones per se for sale, although some stores carry backs and necks for this
purpose. You can make a wonderful stock from legs - I do it regularly when
they are on sale at 19 cents a pound. Use a cleaver to chop them into 1"
pieces and then proceed as usual. Simmer for at least 2 hours. If your stock
was tasteless I suspect you used too much water or perhaps had a batch of
bland chicken!

--
Peter Aitken

Margaret Suran

"Gerald I. evenden" wrote:

> This is got to be a troll.
>
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> > boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> > for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for

I made a pot of chicken soup yesterday, with chicken bones and chicken
giblets. I saw the packages of Murray's Free Range Chicken Bones, as
well as Murray's giblets at Fairway's and bought a couple of packages at
49 cents a pound for the bones ande $1.29 for the giblets. I used the
usual vegetables. carrot, parsnip, turnip, onion, leek, celery, parsley
and dill.

There was enough chicken fat to skim off and make matzo balls. Since
the temperature was going down, both my next door neighbor and my
friend, Marcel, enjoyed the soup and there is plenty left for tonight's
dinner.

I always use bones and/or chicken bones for soup, since nobody likes to
eat the boiled chicken.

I don't think that using chicken bones makes one a Troll.
Vox Humana

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

else?

I seldom see bones of any kind at the supermarket. Most of the meat comes
in pre-packaged and I assume that the bone aren't very profitable so they
don't make it to the store. I generally buy whole chickens or split chicken
breasts with bones. I cut the chicken up myself and bone the breasts. The
bones, skin, wing tips, necks, and backs all get put into bags in the
freezer. When I want to make stock, I use them. Along with the bones and
residual meat, I add chunks of onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and simmer
for several hours. The stock is strained and the solids get ground into a
paste for the dogs. You can reduce the stock to the desired concentration
and freeze it for several months. To get good flavor you will have to reduce
the stock and add herbs and salt. Dried herbs can go in at the start, but
fresh herbs are better added at the end. Don't add salt until the stock has
been reduced or it may end up too salty.

Peggy

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something else?
>
> --Lia

Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
sell them either. :-(

Peg

Robert Klute

A complete set of bones comes with every whole chicken sold.

Christine Dabney

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:44:43 -0500, Peggy
> wrote:

>Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
>sell them either. :-(
>
>Peg

Asian markets sell them all the time. I have a package in my freezer
awaiting the making of chicken broth, along with a disjointed stewing
hen.

I make chicken stock/broth the way that the great Edna Lewis makes it.
She starts cooking chicken parts and an chopped up onion or two in a
large pot, covered. It cooks slowly for a bit: there is no fat added,
or water at this point. At the point where the juices are starting to
exude and almost cover the chicken, she adds water. She doesn't
flavor her broth, but I do, with the usual aromatics. I have made it
without the aromatics before and this method produces a wonderful
broth even so. And it jells wonderfully.

Hmm....maybe I will defrost those today: feels like chicken soup
weather outside, with all the winds blowing here in the DC area.

Christine
Steve Wertz

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:44:43 -0500, Peggy
> wrote:

>Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
>sell them either. :-(

Most chinese/asain and some mexican grocers sell feet.

-sw
Dimitri

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?

Who needs bones - use a fryer when they go on sale for $.59 per pound...

> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock?

No difference in flavor - as long as they are wrapped correctly

Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor?

Mirpoix, dill , juice of a fresh lemon, parsley, and a bouquet garni.

Dimitri

Lisa Ellis

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something else?
>
> --Lia

Lia, One thing to remember is that when you are sick with a cold,
everything loses its flavor. The only thing that really appeals to me
when I have a cold is sushi with lots of wasabi, mainly because I can
taste it...

lisae

PENMART01

"Gerald I. writes:>
>This is got to be a troll.

Nope, simply a moron... not even a culinary moron, simply a general run of the
mill moron, ie. brain damaged..

>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
>> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
>> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Christine Dabney > writes:

>Peggy
> wrote:
>

>>Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
>>sell them either. :-(
>>
>>Peg

>Asian markets sell them all the time.

CHICKEN FEET CONTRIBUTE NOT A LICK OF FLAVOR, Asians use poultry feet in
cookery for their *gelatinous* properties.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Peggy

PENMART01 wrote:

> Christine Dabney > writes:
>

>>Peggy
> wrote:
>>

>>>Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
>>>sell them either. :-(
>>>
>>>Peg

>>Asian markets sell them all the time.

> CHICKEN FEET CONTRIBUTE NOT A LICK OF FLAVOR, Asians use poultry feet in
> cookery for their *gelatinous* properties.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Depends upon what they've walked through ;-).
Peg

Melba's Jammin'

In article <qiQsb.141846$9E1.717742@attbi_s52>, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?

I use chicken parts. And stockpile parts from when I cut up a chicken
-- wing tips, backs, necks. The reason he couldn't find chicken parts
in a supermarket is because the guys in the cold room don't hack up
birdies anymore -- at least not around here they sure don't! All their
chickies come pre-packaged and pre-cut in the those pre-packaged
packages! Annoying as hell, if you ask me!

I can buy chicken in a meat market that's whole or cut up -- they do all
the cutting of whole birdies there. They also make available soup parts
to buy -- a couple-pound packages already frozen from their 'scrap
heap.' Works for me.

At Von Hanson's meats (a meat store chain locally) I was able to order
something like a 20# box of backs and necks. Was THAT a scream! It was
in February and the stuff was either frozen or semi-frozen. I remember
prying apart the stuff to re-package into reasonably sized packages for
my use. Cold in my garage!! I wrapped them in freezer paper --
nothing fancy, but well-wrapped, and stored them for up to a year in my
non-frost-free freezer. Great soup.

When I've got my druthers, I'll make a boatload of stock/soup/broth --
whatever you want to call it -- and freeze it in 2-cup or 4-cup
packages. That 20# of backs and necks, though, was more than I was
cooking at one time! (Consider the other stuff I put in my soup:
onion, carrot,celery, parsley, parsnip -- more than all of that than I
wanted to muck around with in my kitchen).

Chicken puts the flavor in shicken soup -- and the shickens aren't what
they used to be, Kiddo! Dunno about what you were using at the CI.
I've made mighty fine soup with free-range shickens, but they're
expensive. I'm content with homemade broth that I add soup base to.

FWIW.

--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Jack Schidt®

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

else?

> --Lia

I've never seen chicken bones at any grocery I frequented. I don't know
about the specialty markets, haven't looked for them.

That said, you're better off using bones with meat on them. The bones alone
won't impart that superb flavor. The best way is to cook a whole chicken in
water with carrots, onions, garlic and celery, plus whatever else you may
want to add. Salt probably.

Jack Cluck

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote: (snipped)
> I always use bones and/or chicken bones for soup, since nobody likes to
> eat the boiled chicken.

Oh, yum!! I love it.

> I don't think that using chicken bones makes one a Troll.

I agree.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
PENMART01

In article >, "Jack Schidt®"
> writes:

>"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
>> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
>> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
>> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
>> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
>> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
>> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
>> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
>> aren't available at the supermarket?
>>
>> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
>> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
>> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
>> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
>> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
>> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
>> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
>> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
>> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

>else?
>>
>> --Lia
>>

>I've never seen chicken bones at any grocery I frequented. I don't know
>about the specialty markets, haven't looked for them.
>
>That said, you're better off using bones with meat on them. The bones alone
>won't impart that superb flavor. The best way is to cook a whole chicken in
>water with carrots, onions, garlic and celery, plus whatever else you may
>want to add. Salt probably.
>
>Jack Cluck

Anyway, the thread says "chicken soup"... it's not possible to produce chicken
soup without simmering the entire bird... can you make vegetable soup from the
compost parings. Of course not.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard Margaret Suran > say:
> "Gerald I. evenden" wrote:
> >
> > This is got to be a troll.
> >
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >
> > > I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> > > boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> > > for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for

> I made a pot of chicken soup yesterday, with chicken bones and chicken
> giblets.

Oh yum! You're lucky I don't live on your Coast, Margaret, or
we'd be over for dinner every night. ;-)

<snip>

> I don't think that using chicken bones makes one a Troll.

Nope. Neither does not being able to find them at the stupidmarket.
Mine doesn't sell chicken bones either, although you can get nice
packages of beef bones...

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
zxcvbob

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> aren't available at the supermarket?
>
> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something else?
>
> --Lia

I cut up whole fryers, and the necks, backs, wing tips, and giblets (minus
the livers) go the soup bag in the freezer. Leg and thigh bones go in
there too, and any skin I trim off the breasts. When I have enough
accumulated, I pressure cook them or simmer them for a long time with bay
leaves, black pepper, and aromatic vegetables to make a stock.

If you had a rich and thick broth with no flavor, I think you should have
added a little MSG or chicken bouillon.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> When I've got my druthers, I'll make a boatload of stock/soup/broth --
> whatever you want to call it -- and freeze it in 2-cup or 4-cup
> packages. That 20# of backs and necks, though, was more than I was
> cooking at one time! (Consider the other stuff I put in my soup:
> onion, carrot,celery, parsley, parsnip -- more than all of that than I
> wanted to muck around with in my kitchen).

That's when you drag out the 22 quart pressure canner and make your stock
in that. Fill it about 3/4 full of water and goodstuff, and pressurize it
for an hour or so.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

> Anyway, the thread says "chicken soup"... it's not possible to produce chicken
> soup without simmering the entire bird... can you make vegetable soup from the
> compost parings. Of course not.

Not possible? Bullshit. You can make great soup using just chicken backs.
Well, maybe *you* can't...

regards,
Bob

D.Currie

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> > aren't available at the supermarket?

> I've asked and asked and asked... and not once has anyone said "Yes, we
> sell chicken bones"...
>
> ~john!
>

> ...and they always look at me funny for asking

Time to de-lurk, I guess.

Ask for a manager at the meat section or the supermarket, or try a small
butchershop. I buy 40# boxes of backs and necks (and "other parts" which is
usually a stray leg or wing on occasion) on a regular basis. They come
frozen in 4 10# bags. I have to order ahead unless they happen to have a box
on hand, and get them in a day or two, with the next meat delivery.

I buy them from the local butcher, but they were also available from the
supermarket.

Donna

Katra

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> > I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> > boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> > for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> > chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> > learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> > package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> > broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> > for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> > aren't available at the supermarket?
> >
> > If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> > and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> > use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> > long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> > the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> > make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> > have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> > was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> > the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

> else?
> >
> > --Lia
> >

> The flavor is mostly in the meat - there's very little if any flavor in the
> bones themselves. I think that the "bones" people use to make chicken soup
> refer to the leftovers from a roast chicken, and the flavor comes primnarily
> from the bits of meat that are still attached. I have never seen chicken
> bones per se for sale, although some stores carry backs and necks for this
> purpose. You can make a wonderful stock from legs - I do it regularly when
> they are on sale at 19 cents a pound. Use a cleaver to chop them into 1"
> pieces and then proceed as usual. Simmer for at least 2 hours. If your stock
> was tasteless I suspect you used too much water or perhaps had a batch of
> bland chicken!
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

I agree. :-)
I like to make soup from drumsticks or wings...

But, if you keep a "bone bin" in the freezer and save all the bones from
fried and roasted chicken until you have a pressure cooker full, that
cooked bone stock cannot be beat! Made right, it'll practically "bounce"
when it is cooled.

It's really REALLY good for you too. Full of trace minerals and
compounds from the joints for overall healing.

Nothing on gods green earth like properly made chicken soup.

For more flavor tho', I add herbs and flavorings during the cooking
process, regardless of whether or not I use just bones or chicken
pieces. I add garlic, onion, ginger and celery to make the initial stock.

What is really cool is when I DO use drumsticks, when the broth is
cooked and cooled, I'll remove the bones then strain out the pure stock
from the meat and veggie mix. I'll use the stock to make the soup, and
use the strained meat and veggie mixture to make the most killer chicken
salad that you've ever eaten. ;-)

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

Peggy wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> > boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> > for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> > chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> > learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> > package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> > broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> > for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> > aren't available at the supermarket?
> >
> > If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> > and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> > use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> > long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> > the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> > make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> > have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> > was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> > the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something else?
> >
> > --Lia
> >

> Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
> sell them either. :-(
>
> Peg

LOL! You are not going to the right stores. :-)

I bought 30 lbs. of chicken feet from Fiesta last year and you are SO
right! They make the best stock of all. I'd forgotten about them, thanks
for reminding me! There is still a good 2 lb. pack of them in the freezer.

Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. <G>

Central Market will order them for you if you ask...

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> Christine Dabney > writes:
>
> >Peggy
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Feet! Feet! You need chicken feet for flavor. Alas, the stores don't
> >>sell them either. :-(
> >>
> >>Peg

> >Asian markets sell them all the time.

> CHICKEN FEET CONTRIBUTE NOT A LICK OF FLAVOR, Asians use poultry feet in
> cookery for their *gelatinous* properties.
>
> Sheldon

Wrong.
Cretin.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, "Jack Schidt®"
> > writes:
>
> >"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> >> I'm feeling a bit better today, but was surprised yesterday when my
> >> boyfriend came home from the supermarket with the report that he'd asked
> >> for chicken bones and learned that they don't sell them. He asked for
> >> chicken backs or chicken wings with which to make chicken soup and
> >> learned that they didn't have those either. The best he could do was a
> >> package of 4 chicken legs (which cooked into a very thick, gelatinous
> >> broth without much flavor but all the healing properties I could ask
> >> for). Does no one make chicken soup from scratch anymore that bones
> >> aren't available at the supermarket?
> >>
> >> If I do find bones at a specialty market, how long can I freeze them for
> >> and, would freezing them have any effect on them later when I went to
> >> use them for soup? Or is it better to freeze the chicken stock? How
> >> long can freeze stock? Finally, is there anything I can do to improve
> >> the flavor? Maybe my tastes are changing, but it seems that we used to
> >> make chicken stock at the Culinary Institute that tasted good. I would
> >> have sworn I used the same method yesterday and ended up with broth that
> >> was bland. What puts the flavor in chicken soup? Is the difference in
> >> the fact that I used bone in drumsticks instead of bones or something

> >else?
> >>
> >> --Lia
> >>

> >I've never seen chicken bones at any grocery I frequented. I don't know
> >about the specialty markets, haven't looked for them.
> >
> >That said, you're better off using bones with meat on them. The bones alone
> >won't impart that superb flavor. The best way is to cook a whole chicken in
> >water with carrots, onions, garlic and celery, plus whatever else you may
> >want to add. Salt probably.
> >
> >Jack Cluck
> >

> Anyway, the thread says "chicken soup"... it's not possible to produce chicken
> soup without simmering the entire bird... can you make vegetable soup from the
> compost parings. Of course not.
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Wrong again...

It CAN be done, but I'd rather use veggie chunks...

Ever made rock soup? ;-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

zxcvbob wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, the thread says "chicken soup"... it's not possible to produce chicken
> > soup without simmering the entire bird... can you make vegetable soup from the
> > compost parings. Of course not.
> >

> Not possible? Bullshit. You can make great soup using just chicken backs.
> Well, maybe *you* can't...
>
> regards,
> Bob

Heh heh heh! ;-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
sf

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:35:02 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

> I seldom see bones of any kind at the supermarket. Most of the meat comes
> in pre-packaged and I assume that the bone aren't very profitable so they
> don't make it to the store.

What you see is a result of prepackaging Very little custom
work is done at the store level anymore.
<sigh>

> I generally buy whole chickens or split chicken
> breasts with bones.

Just like the butcher used to do.

> I cut the chicken up myself and bone the breasts. The
> bones, skin, wing tips, necks, and backs all get put into bags in the
> freezer.

Yup.

> When I want to make stock, I use them. Along with the bones and
> residual meat,

You're making me nostalgic!

> I add chunks of onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and simmer
> for several hours. The stock is strained and the solids get ground into a
> paste for the dogs. You can reduce the stock to the desired concentration
> and freeze it for several months. To get good flavor you will have to reduce
> the stock and add herbs and salt. Dried herbs can go in at the start, but
> fresh herbs are better added at the end. Don't add salt until the stock has
> been reduced or it may end up too salty.

mmmmm. Sounds very much like what I do... except I brown
the bones and vegetables before simmering.

Of course, in the "olden daze" I was able to find veal and
beef bones to (brown and) add to the stock too.

sf

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:12:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article <qiQsb.141846$9E1.717742@attbi_s52>, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:

> I use chicken parts. And stockpile parts from when I cut up a chicken
> -- wing tips, backs, necks.

I think that's what most of the chicken bone/part people
have to do these days. Custom butchers are scarce, so we
can't buy the 5# bags of backs & wings for pennies (or at
all) anymore.
sf

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:17:24 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:
>
> That said, you're better off using bones with meat on them. The bones alone
> won't impart that superb flavor. The best way is to cook a whole chicken in
> water with carrots, onions, garlic and celery, plus whatever else you may
> want to add. Salt probably.

Unless you are better than I am (and I'm pretty good) at
deboning chickens... there's enough meat to give plenty of
flavor to stock. Of course, if you brown the bones and
vegetables first - you'll get more flavor AND color.
Bob Pastorio

Dan Goodman wrote:

> In Minneapolis, the Wedge coop sells frozen chicken backs and necks for
> 49 cents a pound. They sometimes also have turkey backs and necks.

At Wal-Mart, I can routinely buy leg quarters for 37 cents a pound for
a 10-pound bag.

Pastorio