Mark Shaw

Default Seeking recipe/method for good Italian meatballs

So, I've been making James Beard's meatballs (from _American
Cookery_) for years, but have never actually liked them all
that much. They're kind of - well, coarse and dry.

While travelling on business a month or so ago I had a HUGE
meatball on top of a plate of penne that I still remember
very fondly. It was apparently made from very finely ground
meat - probably veal and pork - and was moist and delicious
as well as delicately spiced. I want to make something like
that.

Anyone? Thanks....

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
Clay Irving

On 2005-02-03, Mark Shaw > wrote:

> While travelling on business a month or so ago I had a HUGE
> meatball on top of a plate of penne that I still remember
> very fondly. It was apparently made from very finely ground
> meat - probably veal and pork - and was moist and delicious
> as well as delicately spiced. I want to make something like
> that.

Polpetti
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe33

Polpette alla Cantinella
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe19

Polpette Napoletane
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe20

--
Clay Irving >
Your E-Mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage
Mark Shaw

Clay Irving > wrote:
> On 2005-02-03, Mark Shaw > wrote:

> > While travelling on business a month or so ago I had a HUGE
> > meatball on top of a plate of penne that I still remember
> > very fondly. It was apparently made from very finely ground
> > meat - probably veal and pork - and was moist and delicious
> > as well as delicately spiced. I want to make something like
> > that.

> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe33
> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe19
> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...alian+recipe20

Thank you Sir. Those look delightful.

> Your E-Mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage

Oops.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov
Chris Neidecker

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> So, I've been making James Beard's meatballs (from _American
> Cookery_) for years, but have never actually liked them all
> that much. They're kind of - well, coarse and dry.

I am meatball-challenged. My meatloaf is really good, but I've never been
able to make a decent meatball. Could be me, could be the recipes...maybe I
should roll my meatloaf mix into balls!

So if you find a recipe that works for you and gives you the moist, tender,
fine-textured meatball you described, I'd love to know -- please post!

Chris

Mark Shaw

Chris Neidecker > wrote:
> I am meatball-challenged. My meatloaf is really good, but I've never been
> able to make a decent meatball. Could be me, could be the recipes...maybe I
> should roll my meatloaf mix into balls!

That's what Alton Brown recommends.

> So if you find a recipe that works for you and gives you the moist, tender,
> fine-textured meatball you described, I'd love to know -- please post!

I need to try one or two of the recipes Mr. Irving posted. Once I
do, I'll post results.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov

Mark D

Hi, The recipe that someone else has posted does not sound all that
bad.

In essense, to make good Italian Meatballs, you should use a blend of at
least ground beef, and pork (Like a Meatloaf Mix combo of meat sometimes
found already pre-packaged at the store)

Meat that is too lean may cause dry, nasty Meatballs. Another thing I
don't like with this recipe posted, is the use of Onions (eliminate
them), and the use of bread crumbs also in this recipe.

My grandmother (born in Italy) always used to take a couple of Slices of
Italian Bread, soak under warm water, squeeze excess water from bread,
and mix into the meatball/meat mixture.

Another tip, is don't overmix by hand, the meat/eggs/etc. Just enough,
that all ingredients come together, and that's it.

Parsley, eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic are definite must haves!
Another nice variation, is to add a small amount of Pignoli (Pine nuts)
to the mix.
Mark D'Ambrosio

Nancy Young

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Hi, The recipe that someone else has posted does not sound all that
> bad.
>
> In essense, to make good Italian Meatballs, you should use a blend of at
> least ground beef, and pork (Like a Meatloaf Mix combo of meat sometimes
> found already pre-packaged at the store)

What he said. It's nasty without the ground pork.

> Meat that is too lean may cause dry, nasty Meatballs. Another thing I
> don't like with this recipe posted, is the use of Onions (eliminate
> them), and the use of bread crumbs also in this recipe.
>
> My grandmother (born in Italy) always used to take a couple of Slices of
> Italian Bread, soak under warm water, squeeze excess water from bread,
> and mix into the meatball/meat mixture.

Oh, they have to have finely minced onions and I cannot abide real bread
in my meatballs, has to be breadcrumbs. Maybe it's just me. (if you use
real bread, isn't it supposed to be soaked in milk?)

> Another tip, is don't overmix by hand, the meat/eggs/etc. Just enough,
> that all ingredients come together, and that's it.

Ditto, otherwise they will become tough.

> Parsley, eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic are definite must haves!
> Another nice variation, is to add a small amount of Pignoli (Pine nuts)
> to the mix.

I do love Italian meatballs like a maniac. I eat them right out of the
pot of sauce while it's still on the stove. Just had to say that.

(laugh) nancy

Hahabogus

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "Mark D" > wrote in message
> > Hi, The recipe that someone else has posted does not sound all
> > that bad.
> >
> > In essense, to make good Italian Meatballs, you should use a blend
> > of at least ground beef, and pork (Like a Meatloaf Mix combo of
> > meat sometimes found already pre-packaged at the store)

> What he said. It's nasty without the ground pork.
>
> > Meat that is too lean may cause dry, nasty Meatballs. Another
> > thing I don't like with this recipe posted, is the use of Onions
> > (eliminate them), and the use of bread crumbs also in this recipe.
> >
> > My grandmother (born in Italy) always used to take a couple of
> > Slices of Italian Bread, soak under warm water, squeeze excess
> > water from bread, and mix into the meatball/meat mixture.

> Oh, they have to have finely minced onions and I cannot abide real
> bread in my meatballs, has to be breadcrumbs. Maybe it's just me.
> (if you use real bread, isn't it supposed to be soaked in milk?)
>
> > Another tip, is don't overmix by hand, the meat/eggs/etc. Just
> > enough, that all ingredients come together, and that's it.

> Ditto, otherwise they will become tough.
>
> > Parsley, eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic are definite must haves!
> > Another nice variation, is to add a small amount of Pignoli (Pine
> > nuts) to the mix.

> I do love Italian meatballs like a maniac. I eat them right out of
> the pot of sauce while it's still on the stove. Just had to say
> that.
>
> (laugh) nancy

And don't forget the grape jelly.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Goomba38

Mark D wrote:

> Parsley, eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic are definite must haves!
> Another nice variation, is to add a small amount of Pignoli (Pine nuts)
> to the mix.
> Mark D'Ambrosio

You forgot the raisins A must in my book. Just
one tucked into the center of the 1 inch or so
sized ball.
Goomba

Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

> I do love Italian meatballs like a maniac. I eat them right out of the
> pot of sauce while it's still on the stove.
>
> (laugh) nancy

not to worry.. so does everyone else
Goomba

Bob

Nancy wrote:

> I do love Italian meatballs like a maniac. I eat them right out of the
> pot of sauce while it's still on the stove.

That's not the way a REAL maniac loves meatballs! Imagine "American Pie,"
only with meatballs -- that's how a maniac LOVES meatballs.

Sane Bob

Mark D

Nope, My grandmother never soaked bread used for Meatballs in milk. I
have no idea myself what the purpose of using milk does to meatballs?
Maybe someone else can comment about this? To me, this sounds like a
yucky ingredient to be adding into the meat/mix.

I've never heard of other Italian friends/families adding milk to
Meatballs?

My grandmother probably made meatballs for 70 years. She never measured
anything. It was always a pinch of this, and a pinch of that.
I reckon she cooked with love, rather than cook from a book.

I must've watched her make Meatballs a 1000 times. While mine are good,
they could never duplicate, or compare to hers. I've always asked
myself, why is that!? :-) Mark D.

Nancy Young

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Nope, My grandmother never soaked bread used for Meatballs in milk. I
> have no idea myself what the purpose of using milk does to meatballs?
> Maybe someone else can comment about this? To me, this sounds like a
> yucky ingredient to be adding into the meat/mix.
>
> I've never heard of other Italian friends/families adding milk to
> Meatballs?

I do, same with meatloaf. My ex mil did, too, and you don't get
much more Italian than that family.

> My grandmother probably made meatballs for 70 years. She never measured
> anything. It was always a pinch of this, and a pinch of that.
> I reckon she cooked with love, rather than cook from a book.
>
> I must've watched her make Meatballs a 1000 times. While mine are good,
> they could never duplicate, or compare to hers. I've always asked
> myself, why is that!? :-) Mark D.

Doesn't that just drive you crazy? You just can't get it to come out the
same. I think everyone here can relate.

nancy

Mark D

Meatballs Part Deux:
Well, I thought some about Meatballs, and using onion in the mix. While
sure you can use whatever you like, and whatever taste right to you.

As for milk, I'm still wondering what the milk supposed to do? Does it
magically "convert" Beef into Veal?.

Things like milk are somthing I myself would never wish to add to my
Pasta Sauce/Meatballs.

Another item some people seem to get carried away with in a Tomato Pasta
Sauce, is Sugar.
Just a pinch too much ruins a Sauce.

I can remember an old adage/rule my Grandmother always used to say.
Garlic in a Meat Sauce/Gravy, Onions in a Fish Sauce/Gravy.

Anyone remember Paulie Cicero in Good Fellas telling is buddy in prison
not to add too many Onions to the Sauce? There's a reason for this.

As far as using Bread Crumbs (Or even worse, Saltine Crackers) in
Meatballs, (or Meatloaf for that matter) I think this is what gives
Meatballs that gritty, rock hard, dry texture to them, that will make
your Meatball's consistency like that of a Golf Ball. (Fore!!) This is
probably what many restaurants do, to cut corners, as it's a whole lot
easier to use.

Onions in Mealoaf, yes! And I also like in Meatloaf instead of
resorting to horrible Saltine Crackers, grated potato instead. Makes
for a much more juicy, and tender Meatloaf. Mark

Jean B.

Mark Shaw wrote:

> So, I've been making James Beard's meatballs (from _American
> Cookery_) for years, but have never actually liked them all
> that much. They're kind of - well, coarse and dry.
>
> While travelling on business a month or so ago I had a HUGE
> meatball on top of a plate of penne that I still remember
> very fondly. It was apparently made from very finely ground
> meat - probably veal and pork - and was moist and delicious
> as well as delicately spiced. I want to make something like
> that.
>
> Anyone? Thanks....
>
> --
> Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm

Eeeek! I thought I had lost these recipes, which emanate from the
(Italian) mom of an ex-boyfriend...........

Vera's Spaghetti and Meatballs

Yum! The best spaghetti and meatballs I have ever eaten!

The Meatballs:
1 lb ground beef
4 eggs, beaten with 2 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 c bread crumbs (fresh?)
1/3 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or Romano cheese)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I like lots of fresh parsley...)
minced garlic to taste (1-2 cloves; 2 will impart a fairly
pronounced garlic flavor)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

oil for browning

Mix all ingredients but oil together and form into medium or large
meatballs. Brown in large frying pan (big enough to make the
sauce) in oil-just enough to cover the bottom of the pan because
there will be more fat from the meatballs. It is not necessary to
cook the meatballs too long-just enough to look firm and brown.
Note: You may increase this recipe by using 2 lbs of meat, 6-7
eggs, 1 3/4 c bread crumbs, ca 3/4 c cheese, and more parsley,
salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce, etc. You can use some of
this mixture to make hamburgs etc.

The Spaghetti Sauce

This will make enough for quite a few meals-depending on how many
persons you serve each time. VS

ca 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 large cans tomato puree
1 large can tomatoes
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (up to 1 tsp)
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp basil
1 tsp thyme
2 large bay leaves
ca 1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 carrots
meatballs (see above)
country spare ribs, fat trimmed off and ribs browned (JB:
optional, but this seems to have a nice
effect on the sauce)
Italian sausages, browned (JB: I don't like these)
1 small can tomato paste-if needed for added thickness OR
1/2 - 1 can of water to make it thinner. Vera usually uses at
least 1/2 can.

Add ca 1/4 oil to large pan. (JB: if you were smart, you can use
the pan you used when making the meatballs. Also, note many folks
do not fry in EVOO.) Brown the onions and garlic. Add the tomato
puree, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Start cooking on medium-high
heat, then reduce the heat to low, stirring frequently. Assess
for thickness and add water and tomato paste as you see fit.
After cooking a while, add oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaves,
brown sugar, and carrots (and ribs and sausages if you are using
them) Cook for several hours. Add meatballs for the last hour of
cooking. Jean B. via rfc

--
Jean B.
Steve Calvin

Jean B. wrote:
> Vera's Spaghetti and Meatballs
>
> Yum! The best spaghetti and meatballs I have ever eaten!
>
> The Meatballs:
> 1 lb ground beef
> 4 eggs, beaten with 2 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

Jean,

4 eggs for 1 lb beef? Just questioning 'cause it sounds like a lot to
me. I think the most I've used would be two.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Jean B.

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Vera's Spaghetti and Meatballs
> >
> > Yum! The best spaghetti and meatballs I have ever eaten!
> >
> > The Meatballs:
> > 1 lb ground beef
> > 4 eggs, beaten with 2 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

> Jean,
>
> 4 eggs for 1 lb beef? Just questioning 'cause it sounds like a lot to
> me. I think the most I've used would be two.
>
> --
> Steve

Well, that's how she did it--and it was great. Maybe I'll get
around to trying the recipe again before you do. As I recall, the
meatballs were unusually soft, perhaps because of the additional
eggs!
--
Jean B.
Steve Calvin

Jean B. wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:

> Well, that's how she did it--and it was great. Maybe I'll get
> around to trying the recipe again before you do. As I recall, the
> meatballs were unusually soft, perhaps because of the additional
> eggs!

No problem. I'm not Italian, whatdaI know? ;-) It's been saved and I'll
give it a shot. As my Dad used to say, "don't knock it until you've
tried it."

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Nancy Young

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Meatballs Part Deux:
> Well, I thought some about Meatballs, and using onion in the mix. While
> sure you can use whatever you like, and whatever taste right to you.
>
> As for milk, I'm still wondering what the milk supposed to do? Does it
> magically "convert" Beef into Veal?.

Well, I don't think it can make beef younger or anything. (laugh) But if
you've ever had Italian meatballs out somewhere, I betcha you have had
them made with some milk to soak the breadcrumbs.

> Things like milk are somthing I myself would never wish to add to my
> Pasta Sauce/Meatballs.

Actually, I took a small informal poll and ... sorry to say, soaking the
breadcrumbs in water brought a universal EWWW. No offense meant.

I would say Don't knock it till you tried it, but I know you don't want
to.

> Another item some people seem to get carried away with in a Tomato Pasta
> Sauce, is Sugar.
> Just a pinch too much ruins a Sauce.

My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving. That'll probably
flip you out, too.

> I can remember an old adage/rule my Grandmother always used to say.
> Garlic in a Meat Sauce/Gravy, Onions in a Fish Sauce/Gravy.

I say garlic in anything. I love garlic. Actually, I had a major league
garlic weekend, I don't think I smell, but maybe I do. Saturday, went
out to lunch, someone ordered ?Australian green mussels in this garlic
sauce, it was out of this world. Why they don't serve it with bread, I
don't know. I sipped the stuff with empty mussel shells until I finally
asked for a spoon.

Yup, bad garlic habit.

Yesterday, well there was this game on? Guacamole with a very
pronounced garlic flavor. What can I say.

> Anyone remember Paulie Cicero in Good Fellas telling is buddy in prison
> not to add too many Onions to the Sauce? There's a reason for this.
>
> As far as using Bread Crumbs (Or even worse, Saltine Crackers) in
> Meatballs, (or Meatloaf for that matter) I think this is what gives
> Meatballs that gritty, rock hard, dry texture to them, that will make
> your Meatball's consistency like that of a Golf Ball. (Fore!!) This is
> probably what many restaurants do, to cut corners, as it's a whole lot
> easier to use.

Oh, my meatballs are most assuredly NOT rock hard. I don't know
where you grew up that people manage to make meatballs and meatloaf
hard, but they're doing something wrong. Seriously wrong. I grew up
with lots of Italians who knew from a meatball.

> Onions in Mealoaf, yes! And I also like in Meatloaf instead of
> resorting to horrible Saltine Crackers, grated potato instead. Makes
> for a much more juicy, and tender Meatloaf.

Huh, I'll consider it.

nancy (hard meatballs, indeed)

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:12:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
>of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving.

My mom's sauce recipe included finely diced carrots. Nothing to remove.
Harry's sauce also includes carrots, ground up in a food processor.

Carol

Nancy Young

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:12:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
>>of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving.

> My mom's sauce recipe included finely diced carrots. Nothing to remove.
> Harry's sauce also includes carrots, ground up in a food processor.

Sure, that's okay with me, I think. Does anyone know, is the sugar (of
any source) to neutralize the acidity or what? I forget the reasoning or
purpose of it.

nancy

Member

Use MEAT, I like plain ground beef - NO cereal filler, no bread or cracker crumbs - meat... FINELY diced onion, garlic, green bell peppers... salt of course, coarse ground fennel seed... a couple of eggs... Now the trick - apple sauce or canned tomatos pureed up in the food processor... enough apple or tomato so that you think it might be too much - you are looking for butter at room temperature consistancy, VERY soft but NOT runny... roll the balls in flour, put in a glass baking dish touching each other just a bit, DO NOT fry or otherwise brown them, it just makes them tough... top with regular store bought Ragu sauce like you'd put syrup on a pancake, so that the run-off covers the bottom half of the balls... add extra bell pepper cubes or diced onion if you like the flavor... oven, uncovered, 350, an hour or so... They will be delicate, flavorful, moist... You might want to drain any grease that comes off easily...
Makes a good sandwich in a baguette... top with the cheese of tour choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaw