Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Italian Meatballs

These meatballs are REALLY good. On sandwiches, spaghetti etc. The
secret to the tender meatballs is the MILK.
What's even better - they are baked and not fried so no turning them in
the pan. Baking them makes them really easy. It only takes a minute to
make them. I use an ice cream scoop to form them.

1/2 cup Milk, Approx.
1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup bread crumbs, I Used Italian Style
2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic,minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 French baguette
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch of salt or to taste
1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
4 slices provolone cheese

[Note: Homemade meatballs in marinara sauce fill a lightly toasted
baguette and are topped with melted provolone.]

Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). In a medium bowl, gently mix by hand
the ground beef, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, Parmesan
cheese, milk and egg. Let sit for a while to absorb the ingredients before
baking. Shape into 12 meat balls and place in a baking dish.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked
through. Meanwhile, cut the baguette in half lengthwise, and remove
some of the bread from the inside to make a well for the meatballs.
Brush with olive oil, and season with garlic powder and salt. Slip the
baguette into the oven during the last 5 minutes of the meatball's time,
or until lightly toasted. While the bread toasts, warm the spaghetti sauce
in a saucepan over medium heat. When the meatballs are done, use a slotted
spoon to transfer them to the sauce. Spoon onto the baguette and top with slices
of provolone cheese. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the
cheese. Cool slightly, cut into servings, and enjoy!

Using the milk makes for very tender meatballs. I used at least 1/2
cup, maybe a little more. It gets absorbed by the bread crumbs.
I took the meatballs out before I thought they were completely done and
poured the sauce over them; put them back in the oven for about 10
minutes.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

REC: Italian Meatballs Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 80 18-10-2006 04:03 PM
Italian Meatballs Question zxcvbob General Cooking 28 01-02-2006 03:07 AM
Italian Meatballs Recipes (moderated) 0 25-08-2005 04:12 AM
Authentic Italian Meatballs Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-05-2005 04:13 PM
LC-REC -- Italian Meatloaf/Meatballs Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 05-02-2005 01:46 AM