Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Italian Meatballs

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Meatballs

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 large eggs -- beaten
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Shape into 1
1/2" meatballs. Bake at 375°F until cooked through. Drain. Cover
with Harry's Tomato Sauce; cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Cuisine:
"Italian-American"
Yield:
"30 meatballs"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve on crusty rolls with mozzarella cheese, or over
spaghetti.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian Meatballs
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
> 1/2 pound ground pork
> 2 large eggs -- beaten
> 1/2 cup rolled oats
> 1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian Meatballs
>>
>> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
>> Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
>> 1/2 pound ground pork
>> 2 large eggs -- beaten
>> 1/2 cup rolled oats
>> 1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
>> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
>>

> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

That's what I was thinking, torn stale bread instead of oats, and add
some Parmesan.

What about some grated onion?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> That's what I was thinking, torn stale bread instead of oats, and add
> some Parmesan.
>
> What about some grated onion?
>
> Bob

You know.. I love onion, but hate to grate it. Minced even seems too
large sometimes. Onion powder works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > That's what I was thinking, torn stale bread instead of oats, and add
> > some Parmesan.
> >
> > What about some grated onion?
> >
> > Bob

> You know.. I love onion, but hate to grate it. Minced even seems too
> large sometimes. Onion powder works.

Another typical Italian method (probably regional) is to soak state
bread slices in a little milk, squeeze out and add to the ground
mixture. This creates an exceptionally light meatball - I usually pan
fry to brown and them simmer in a tomato sauce of some kind. Serve over
fresh pasta - yum.

Cheers
Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Italian Meatballs
> >
> > Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> > Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
> > 1/2 pound ground pork
> > 2 large eggs -- beaten
> > 1/2 cup rolled oats
> > 1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
> > 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
> > 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
> > 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> >

> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

Growing up my father used to brown them in the broiler. Once they were
nicely browned into the sauce they'd go and in a few hours you'd have
some rockin' meatballs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:36:11 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian Meatballs
>>
>> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
>> Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
>> 1/2 pound ground pork
>> 2 large eggs -- beaten
>> 1/2 cup rolled oats
>> 1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
>> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

>I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
>much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
>parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
>browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Goomba's Italian Meatballs

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Shape into 1
1/2" meatballs. Bake at 375°F until cooked through. Drain. Cover
with marinara sauce; cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Serve on crusty rolls with mozzarella cheese, or over spaghetti.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Yield:
"30 meatballs"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
> > 1/2 pound ground pork
> > 2 large eggs -- beaten
> > 1/2 cup rolled oats
> > 1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
> > 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
> > 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
> > 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

Yeah, no Italian I ever met would make meat-a-balles with oats, fresh
torn bread dampened with milk instead.... and definitely needs that
grated cheese (takes care of the missing salt too).
Penzeys Italian herb mix is much nicer than plain oregano.
I also like to add a pinch of fennel seeds.
And a good splash of dago red.

Just because a dish contains oregano in no way makes it Italian.

Sheldon Finocchio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Oct 2006 16:00:32 -0700, "Bronwyn" > wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> You know.. I love onion, but hate to grate it. Minced even seems too
>> large sometimes. Onion powder works.

>Another typical Italian method (probably regional) is to soak state
>bread slices in a little milk, squeeze out and add to the ground
>mixture. This creates an exceptionally light meatball - I usually pan
>fry to brown and them simmer in a tomato sauce of some kind. Serve over
>fresh pasta - yum.

I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2006 16:00:32 -0700, "Bronwyn" > wrote:
>

> >Goomba38 wrote:
> >>
> >> You know.. I love onion, but hate to grate it. Minced even seems too
> >> large sometimes. Onion powder works.

> >Another typical Italian method (probably regional) is to soak state
> >bread slices in a little milk, squeeze out and add to the ground
> >mixture. This creates an exceptionally light meatball - I usually pan
> >fry to brown and them simmer in a tomato sauce of some kind. Serve over
> >fresh pasta - yum.
> >

> I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
> Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

Haggis balls?

Sheldon Offal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:

>I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
>Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
>> Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

> I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

Why not? I think the discussion has been interesting. The only
criticism I've seen is when Sheldoon said "blech" about me using 1/2
beef and 1/2 turkey instead of 3/4 beef and 1/4 pork.

(the turkey binds it together nicely and you don't have to add egg)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:50:11 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
>>> Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

>> I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

>Why not? I think the discussion has been interesting. The only
>criticism I've seen is when Sheldoon said "blech" about me using 1/2
>beef and 1/2 turkey instead of 3/4 beef and 1/4 pork.
>
>(the turkey binds it together nicely and you don't have to add egg)

Sorry. Not on new meds yet, and I'm still hyper-sensitive. Sorry,
sf. It was a good joke. )

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:45:09 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
>> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
>> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
>> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

>That's what I was thinking, torn stale bread instead of oats, and add
>some Parmesan.

I used to use bread, and sometimes still do. The oats are for the
purpose of lowering carbs. I'm no longer militantly low-carb, so I
should probably go back to bread. I'll give that a shot next time,
and adjust the recipe accordingly.

>What about some grated onion?

Now, *that* sounds good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:45:09 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
>>> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
>>> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
>>> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

>> That's what I was thinking, torn stale bread instead of oats, and add
>> some Parmesan.

> I used to use bread, and sometimes still do. The oats are for the
> purpose of lowering carbs. I'm no longer militantly low-carb, so I
> should probably go back to bread. I'll give that a shot next time,
> and adjust the recipe accordingly.
>
>> What about some grated onion?

> Now, *that* sounds good!

I was too lazy to grate an onion. Let's see if I can remember what I used:

1 pound of ground beef (85% lean)
1 pound of frozen ground turkey (thawed)
2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 Tbsp onion powder
1/3 tsp (approx) garlic powder
1/2 tsp (approx) salt
dried marjoram, some
black pepper, some
Parmesan cheese, chunk about the size of a small meatball
2 slices bread

Dampen the bread with water, squeeze it out, tear into small pieces.
Grate the Parmesan cheese with microplane grater. Combine all
ingredients in the Kitchenaid mixer and mix for a minute or two until
thoroughly combined. Roll into balls about the size of a ping pong
ball. Bake at 425° on a jellyroll pan for about 15 minutes. When
cooled, bag and freeze. Makes 30.

Add meatballs to sauce and simmer. No need to thaw before adding to the
sauce.

I ate one of the small ones when they came out of the oven. They coulda
used a little nutmeg and red pepper flakes. I think they'll be good
with spaghetti sauce (or grape jelly ;-)

--
Best regards,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
>>Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

>I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

Chicken!
--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 10:42:21p, meant to say...

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>>I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
>>>Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

>>I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

> Chicken!

hehehe! I might as throw my two bits in. I don't like using oats as a
filler in meatballs or meatloaf. Every time I've tried it (years ago), the
resulting texture was "gluey/gummy", even slimy, not at all pleasant. I
generally use dried bread crumbs in both, home-dried, that is. Having said
all that, I absolutely love cooked oatmeal, and like using oats in baked
goods, cakes, cookies, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 10:42:21p, meant to say...
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > > wrote:

> >>I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

> > Chicken!

> hehehe! I might as throw my two bits in. I don't like using oats as a
> filler in meatballs or meatloaf. Every time I've tried it (years ago), the
> resulting texture was "gluey/gummy", even slimy, not at all pleasant. I
> generally use dried bread crumbs in both, home-dried, that is. Having said
> all that, I absolutely love cooked oatmeal, and like using oats in baked
> goods, cakes, cookies, etc.

I love oatmeal too! Never tried adding oats to meatballs.
Like I posted in another thread, I use a bit of rice flour to firm them
up.

On a side note, I also mix and roll meatballs wearing a pair of
disposable gloves. It's made the chore so much more pleasant! I'm not
sure why, I just don't like ending up with all that grease on my hands.

I also wear gloves for making ground meat patties or for hand mixing any
other ground meat dishes.

I even wore them yesterday to mix and shred that beef cheek meat I
cooked. I had to mix/mash the veggies into it and then mix in the chili
powder and cocoa powder. The tacos turned out very well and dad
complimented me on the meat.

Pics to follow later when I process them off the camera.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 10:55:59p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 10:42:21p, meant to say...
>>
>> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress

>> > Chicken!

>> hehehe! I might as throw my two bits in. I don't like using oats as a
>> filler in meatballs or meatloaf. Every time I've tried it (years ago),
>> the resulting texture was "gluey/gummy", even slimy, not at all
>> pleasant. I generally use dried bread crumbs in both, home-dried, that
>> is. Having said all that, I absolutely love cooked oatmeal, and like
>> using oats in baked goods, cakes, cookies, etc.

> I love oatmeal too! Never tried adding oats to meatballs.
> Like I posted in another thread, I use a bit of rice flour to firm them
> up.
>
> On a side note, I also mix and roll meatballs wearing a pair of
> disposable gloves. It's made the chore so much more pleasant! I'm not
> sure why, I just don't like ending up with all that grease on my hands.
>
> I also wear gloves for making ground meat patties or for hand mixing any
> other ground meat dishes.
>
> I even wore them yesterday to mix and shred that beef cheek meat I
> cooked. I had to mix/mash the veggies into it and then mix in the chili
> powder and cocoa powder. The tacos turned out very well and dad
> complimented me on the meat.
>
> Pics to follow later when I process them off the camera.

Funny you should mention gloves. I use them every time I handle meat, raw
or cooked. I also hate the greasy feel on my hands. Nice for any messy
kitchen jobs.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Funny you should mention gloves. I use them every time I handle meat, raw
> or cooked. I also hate the greasy feel on my hands. Nice for any messy
> kitchen jobs.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I can't help but think it makes for more sanitary food too. :-)
Yes, I'm meticulous about hand washing (and disinfecting my cutting
boards with vinegar after using them for poultry) but gloves are nice
for a lot of things.

They are cheaper too if you get them from the paint department at Home
Depot or Lowes instead of buying them from a pharmacy!

Might make for a good survey?
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:07:45p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Funny you should mention gloves. I use them every time I handle meat,
>> raw or cooked. I also hate the greasy feel on my hands. Nice for any
>> messy kitchen jobs.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I can't help but think it makes for more sanitary food too. :-)
> Yes, I'm meticulous about hand washing (and disinfecting my cutting
> boards with vinegar after using them for poultry) but gloves are nice
> for a lot of things.
>
> They are cheaper too if you get them from the paint department at Home
> Depot or Lowes instead of buying them from a pharmacy!
>
> Might make for a good survey?

I try to buy vinyl gloves rather than latex. I like the way they fit and
feel better, although I do not have a latex allergy. I usually do geet
them in the paint department, although Walgreen's had a very good sale on
vinyl gloves recently. IIRC, it was $4.00 for 100 gloves. I bought two
boxes.

Yes, it certainly is more sanitary, although I also tend to wash my hands
after every different kitchen operation. My cutting boards are nylon/vinyl
and always go in the dishwasher.

I've found that vinyl gloves, in particular, do not seem to stick at all to
pastry and bread doughs, another "messy" thing I don't like handling.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:07:45p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Funny you should mention gloves. I use them every time I handle meat,
> >> raw or cooked. I also hate the greasy feel on my hands. Nice for any
> >> messy kitchen jobs.
> >>

> > I can't help but think it makes for more sanitary food too. :-)
> > Yes, I'm meticulous about hand washing (and disinfecting my cutting
> > boards with vinegar after using them for poultry) but gloves are nice
> > for a lot of things.
> >
> > They are cheaper too if you get them from the paint department at Home
> > Depot or Lowes instead of buying them from a pharmacy!
> >
> > Might make for a good survey?

> I try to buy vinyl gloves rather than latex. I like the way they fit and
> feel better, although I do not have a latex allergy. I usually do geet
> them in the paint department, although Walgreen's had a very good sale on
> vinyl gloves recently. IIRC, it was $4.00 for 100 gloves. I bought two
> boxes.

Damn that's a good price!
I prefer latex tho' as they fit tighter so I feel I have more dexterity
with them, but the meat etc. does stick to them a lot. ;-) As you said
below, the vinyl ones are less sticky?

I've not tried them, I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I can snitch
one pair from work and check them out. We keep non-latex gloves on hand
for those with latex allergies.

> Yes, it certainly is more sanitary, although I also tend to wash my hands
> after every different kitchen operation. My cutting boards are nylon/vinyl
> and always go in the dishwasher.
>
> I've found that vinyl gloves, in particular, do not seem to stick at all to
> pastry and bread doughs, another "messy" thing I don't like handling.

Like I said, I'll have to try that then.

I use wood cutting boards and don't own a dishwasher!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:35:42p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> Damn that's a good price!
> I prefer latex tho' as they fit tighter so I feel I have more dexterity
> with them, but the meat etc. does stick to them a lot. ;-) As you said
> below, the vinyl ones are less sticky?

Yes, I find the vinyl gloves must less sticky with almost anything. I
don't like an overly tight fit, as I tend to have them rip when putting
them on.

> I've not tried them, I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I can snitch
> one pair from work and check them out. We keep non-latex gloves on hand
> for those with latex allergies.

Yes, do give them a try. Nothing ventured...

> I use wood cutting boards and don't own a dishwasher!

I probably would not cook if I did not own a dishwasher. I've had one
since my very first apartment, either a portable for those places that
didn't have one built in, or a built in. It's my favorite kitchen slave.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:35:42p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > Damn that's a good price!
> > I prefer latex tho' as they fit tighter so I feel I have more dexterity
> > with them, but the meat etc. does stick to them a lot. ;-) As you said
> > below, the vinyl ones are less sticky?

> Yes, I find the vinyl gloves must less sticky with almost anything. I
> don't like an overly tight fit, as I tend to have them rip when putting
> them on.

Mm, probably tried to small of a size.. but still!

> > I've not tried them, I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I can snitch
> > one pair from work and check them out. We keep non-latex gloves on hand
> > for those with latex allergies.

> Yes, do give them a try. Nothing ventured...

Indeed! The latex gloves are as sticky as fingers!

> > I use wood cutting boards and don't own a dishwasher!

> I probably would not cook if I did not own a dishwasher. I've had one
> since my very first apartment, either a portable for those places that
> didn't have one built in, or a built in. It's my favorite kitchen slave.
> :-)

See, we have never owned one, mom never had one either. She considered
it a waste of electricity and water.

I tend to use dishwashing as a time killer when I'm doing things like
waiting for pots to heat up etc. :-)

I'd probably get spoiled if I ever did get one. <G>
For some reason, dad tends to create a rather large number of dishes!
I don't want him to wash them tho' as he does not get them clean.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
> Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

oooh oooh.. adding more ground organ meat and tying them up in little
wee pieces of tripe. Calling them Haggies meatballs! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Haggis balls?
>
> Sheldon Offal

LOL, I should have read ahead. That is exactly what I just posted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> I'd put in more parsley, a bit more garlic and oregano (based on how
> much meat you have there) leave out the oats, and add about a cup of
> parmesan. I've started baking them first to save time, but I grew up
> browning them in a pan before adding to the sauce.

If you'd forget oregano, it would be the standard metballs recipe in my
family.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:

> Another typical Italian method (probably regional) is to soak state
> bread slices in a little milk, squeeze out and add to the ground
> mixture. This creates an exceptionally light meatball - I usually pan
> fry to brown and them simmer in a tomato sauce of some kind. Serve
> over fresh pasta - yum.

Don't know if it has a specific area of origin beyond this, but it is
definitely common in the north. Moreover, it is very similar to the
preparation of canederli (knodeln) in the alpine regions, keeping in mind
that canederli end up cooked in broth instead of sauces.
Oregano in the meatballs is usually found in the center and south of Italy
but, talking about food, exceptions are the rule.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Sheldon Finocchio

FYI: you shold know that, here in the boot-shaped country, "finocchio" can
mean either "fennel" or "***" (slang).
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:52:11p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:35:42p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to

say...

>> > Damn that's a good price!
>> > I prefer latex tho' as they fit tighter so I feel I have more

dexterity
>> > with them, but the meat etc. does stick to them a lot. ;-) As you said
>> > below, the vinyl ones are less sticky?

>> Yes, I find the vinyl gloves must less sticky with almost anything. I
>> don't like an overly tight fit, as I tend to have them rip when putting
>> them on.

> Mm, probably tried to small of a size.. but still!

I have large hands. Finding a large enough size is hit or miss, espeically
when many say "fits all". :-)

>> > I've not tried them, I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I can snitch
>> > one pair from work and check them out. We keep non-latex gloves on

hand
>> > for those with latex allergies.

>> Yes, do give them a try. Nothing ventured...

> Indeed! The latex gloves are as sticky as fingers!
>

>> > I use wood cutting boards and don't own a dishwasher!

>> I probably would not cook if I did not own a dishwasher. I've had one
>> since my very first apartment, either a portable for those places that
>> didn't have one built in, or a built in. It's my favorite kitchen

slave.
>> :-)

> See, we have never owned one, mom never had one either. She considered
> it a waste of electricity and water.

Statistically, they are supposed to use less water than most people hand
washing and rinsing. If you select "air dry", the electric consumption
isn't too bad.

> I tend to use dishwashing as a time killer when I'm doing things like
> waiting for pots to heat up etc. :-)

I tend to read a cookbook or watch TV during those lulls. :-)

> I'd probably get spoiled if I ever did get one. <G>
> For some reason, dad tends to create a rather large number of dishes!
> I don't want him to wash them tho' as he does not get them clean.

Yes, you probably would get spoiled, especially when doing a lot of cooking
or there's a large accumulation of dishes. I do all my pots and pans in
there, too, including my electric pressure cooker.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 12:57:43a, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Haggis balls?
>>
>> Sheldon Offal
>>

> LOL, I should have read ahead. That is exactly what I just posted.

I didn't know a haggis had balls.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 02:14:55a, Vilco meant to say...

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Sheldon Finocchio

> FYI: you shold know that, here in the boot-shaped country, "finocchio" can
> mean either "fennel" or "***" (slang).

hehe! Finnochio's is a famous "drag bar" in San Francisco.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:09:22 -0700, sf wrote:
> >
> >>I don't like bread in meatballs, so oats sounded like a good idea.
> >>Maybe she should call them Scottish meatballs, instead of Italian.

> >I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

> Chicken!
> --
> See return address to reply by email

o.k. -- just to stir the pot, here's my take on making meatballs...
first off, there's nothing wrong with damsel's recipe, she can make
them for me any time...

I'm not Italian, so I couldn't care less what the purists say...

-- Measuring quantities for this is for wusses.
-- I use quality brand name hot italian sausage instead of pork, (mix
of half beef and half sausage)
-- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!
-- A couple of onions is esential
-- I use oats instead of bread crumbs all the time because I like the
taste and texture
-- a mix of spices: oregeno, thyme, basil (don't need pepper due to
sausage, and I consider parsley a waste of money)
-- I've made them with and without grated cheese

flame away...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:

> -- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!
>
> flame away...

Later, my lighter ran out of gas
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> I'm not Italian, so I couldn't care less what the purists say...
>
> -- Measuring quantities for this is for wusses.
> -- I use quality brand name hot italian sausage instead of pork, (mix
> of half beef and half sausage)

Too heavy. One of the best parts of using mixed meat is
the texture. Besides, I have sausage in the pot of sauce along
with the meatballs, so I don't need any more.

> -- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!

You coulda just said right up front that you are looney tunes.

> -- A couple of onions is esential
> -- I use oats instead of bread crumbs all the time because I like the
> taste and texture

I thought we were talking about Italian meatballs?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote
>
> > I'm not Italian, so I couldn't care less what the purists say...
> >
> > -- Measuring quantities for this is for wusses.
> > -- I use quality brand name hot italian sausage instead of pork, (mix
> > of half beef and half sausage)

> Too heavy. One of the best parts of using mixed meat is
> the texture. Besides, I have sausage in the pot of sauce along
> with the meatballs, so I don't need any more.
>
> > -- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!

> You coulda just said right up front that you are looney tunes.
>
> > -- A couple of onions is esential
> > -- I use oats instead of bread crumbs all the time because I like the
> > taste and texture

> I thought we were talking about Italian meatballs?
>
> nancy

the sausage makes them italian

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, I find the vinyl gloves must less sticky with almost anything. I
> >> don't like an overly tight fit, as I tend to have them rip when putting
> >> them on.

> > Mm, probably tried to small of a size.. but still!

> I have large hands. Finding a large enough size is hit or miss, espeically
> when many say "fits all". :-)

Ever considered mail order?

At work, we always have three boxes available. Small, medium and large.
I use a medium but there are plenty of co-workers that need the large!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 12:57:43a, Goomba38 meant to say...
>
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> >> Haggis balls?
> >>
> >> Sheldon Offal
> >>

> > LOL, I should have read ahead. That is exactly what I just posted.

> I didn't know a haggis had balls.

<cough>

<snicker>

Glad I'd just swallowed my drink...... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"kuvasz guy" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > > wrote:

> > >I don't think I'm going to post recipes here anymore.

> > Chicken!
> > --
> > See return address to reply by email

> o.k. -- just to stir the pot, here's my take on making meatballs...
> first off, there's nothing wrong with damsel's recipe, she can make
> them for me any time...

I agree. :-)
I don't mix bread in mine either, but I'm allergic to wheat.
There is nothing wrong with doing so and I'll bet it adds a nice texture.
My addition of rice flour makes mine a bit "heavy".

> I'm not Italian, so I couldn't care less what the purists say...
>
> -- Measuring quantities for this is for wusses.
> -- I use quality brand name hot italian sausage instead of pork, (mix
> of half beef and half sausage)
> -- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!

AAAHHHHH!!!!!
That's Heresy! <lol>

> -- A couple of onions is esential
> -- I use oats instead of bread crumbs all the time because I like the
> taste and texture
> -- a mix of spices: oregeno, thyme, basil (don't need pepper due to
> sausage, and I consider parsley a waste of money)
> -- I've made them with and without grated cheese
>
> flame away...
>
> ..fred

No flame from me. :-)
I use mild Italian sausage in mine, never measure, and vary the recipe
slightly according to my moods.

It's like I've posted before. If I've learned nothing else on this list,
(I think I've been here about 3 years now), it's been to RESPECT others
tastes!

And I've learned many other things too.

Thanks guys and gals!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:24 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress

> > > Chicken!
> > > --
> > > See return address to reply by email

> > o.k. -- just to stir the pot, here's my take on making meatballs...
> > first off, there's nothing wrong with damsel's recipe, she can make
> > them for me any time...

> I agree. :-)
> I don't mix bread in mine either, but I'm allergic to wheat.
> There is nothing wrong with doing so and I'll bet it adds a nice texture.
> My addition of rice flour makes mine a bit "heavy".
>

> > I'm not Italian, so I couldn't care less what the purists say...
> >
> > -- Measuring quantities for this is for wusses.
> > -- I use quality brand name hot italian sausage instead of pork, (mix
> > of half beef and half sausage)
> > -- I HATE garlic! There, I said it!

> AAAHHHHH!!!!!
> That's Heresy! <lol>

You know, I could live with a little garlic, but the people that love
it *really* love it. Why do they have to use 47 cloves when 1 or 2
would do???

I've never used rice flour, but I've used rice... I know, that makes
them porcupines...

Not neccessarily a bad thing.
...fred

Italian Meatballs SS main Recipes (moderated) 0 07-02-2007 10:10 PM
Italian Meatballs Question zxcvbob General Cooking 28 01-02-2006 03:07 AM
Italian Meatballs Recipes (moderated) 0 25-08-2005 04:12 AM
Authentic Italian Meatballs Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-05-2005 04:13 PM
LC-REC -- Italian Meatloaf/Meatballs Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 05-02-2005 01:46 AM