Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Cognac vs. other Cognac

On Sun, 30 May 2021 18:24:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:44:04 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>
>> [...] solar input we have no other means to HEAT this planet

>You are 90% correct regarding the relative contribution of insolation
>(incoming solar radiation). About 9% is tidal friction (70% lunar + 30%
>solar) and 1% is from residual nucleotide fission.

lol

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2021 12:24 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:44:04 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>
>> [...] solar input we have no other means to HEAT this planet

> You are 90% correct regarding the relative contribution of insolation
> (incoming solar radiation). About 9% is tidal friction (70% lunar + 30%
> solar) and 1% is from residual nucleotide fission.

Iow, this fiction that we're somehow going to create a "greenhouse
effect" whereby earth just keep getting hotter and hotter is pure garbage!

Increased albedo REFLECTS solar insolation ergo the planet would cool,
and cool quickly under more atmospheric cloudiness.

Study" Krakatoa + sunsets.

And take a gander at our latest solar cycle, Maunder Minumum again anyone?

https://www.climatedepot.com/2020/10...g-for-decades/

https://www.scienceunderattack.com/b...for-decades-62

Unknown to most people except those with an interest in solar science,
the sun is about to shut down. Well, not completely €“ well still have
plenty of sunlight and heat, but the small dark blotches on the suns
surface called sunspots, visible in the figure below, are on the verge
of disappearing. According to some climate scientists, this heralds a
prolonged cold stretch of maybe 35 years starting in 2020, despite
global warming.

How could that happen? Because sunspots, which are caused by magnetic
turbulence in the suns interior, signal subtle changes in solar output
or activity €“ changes that can have a significant effect on the earths
climate. Together with the suns heat and light, the monthly or yearly
number of sunspots goes up and down during the approximately 11-year
solar cycle. For several decades now, the maximum number of sunspots
seen in a cycle has been declining.

The last time sunspots disappeared altogether was during the so-called
Maunder Minimum, a 70-year cool period in the 17th and 18th centuries
forming part of the Little Ice Age, and illustrated in the next figure
showing the sunspot number over time. The Maunder Minimum from
approximately 1645 to 1710 was the most recent occurrence of what are
known as grand solar minima, or periods of very low solar activity, that
recur every 350 to 400 years. So were due for another minimum.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1500w

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 04:42:02 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 18:24:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:44:04 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>>
>>> [...] solar input we have no other means to HEAT this planet

>>You are 90% correct regarding the relative contribution of insolation
>>(incoming solar radiation). About 9% is tidal friction (70% lunar + 30%
>>solar) and 1% is from residual nucleotide fission.

>lol

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 04:28:42 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:30:31 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:
>
>>LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.
>>Don learned to put them up high if he left the room.
>>
>>Roscoe would dip a paw in then lick it dry and go on about his
>>business. If the level was too low to reach, he'd knock it over, wet a
>>paw and lick it dry then go about his business. Silly cat.

>What do you think a teatotaler is?

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 18:24:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:44:04 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>
>> [...] solar input we have no other means to HEAT this planet

>You are 90% correct regarding the relative contribution of insolation
>(incoming solar radiation). About 9% is tidal friction (70% lunar + 30%
>solar) and 1% is from residual nucleotide fission.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 04:22:29 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:26:13 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>>>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>>>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>>>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

>>There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.

>Do they add xanthan gum and foam suppressant?

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 04:21:31 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

>We get it, Dave. We get it. W e g e t i t.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:30:31 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> years. >>>

>> northerly >>> due global warming.

>> > When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available.
>> > David bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it
>> > up in a casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I
>> > gave it to the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often
>> > Lab's would do that!

>> It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
>> and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
>> heated substantial alcohol remains.
>> https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

>LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.
>Don learned to put them up high if he left the room.
>
>Roscoe would dip a paw in then lick it dry and go on about his
>business. If the level was too low to reach, he'd knock it over, wet a
>paw and lick it dry then go about his business. Silly cat.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:00:29 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> >On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>> >

>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>> > As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit
>> > northerly due global warming.
>> >

>> I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine.
>> We have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the
>> local wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with
>> varietals and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it
>> is a major industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of
>> the great wine regions in France.

>Local winaries here have been doing well too. Interestingly, when we
>were the 'colonies', Virginia was renowned for it's wines. Somehow it
>fell off the scopes (possibly prohibition?) but now it's kicking off
>nicely.
>
>Australia also has some very nice wines as well.
>
>I've never needed or really liked super fancy or super dry wines. I
>like a decent crisp table white or rose best.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 14:11:42 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 10:03:03 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>wrote:

>>>When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>>>bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>>>casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>>>the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>>>that!

>>It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
>>and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
>>heated substantial alcohol remains.
>>https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

>Must have done something right, he lived until 17, a good age for a
>lab.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

>There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:11:00 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>>>

>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>>> due global warming.
>>>

>>I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>>have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>>wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>>and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>>industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>>regions in France.

>When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>that!

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>>
>>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>>I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>>>have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>>>wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>>>and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>>>industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>>>regions in France.

>>When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>>bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>>casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>>the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>>that!

>It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
>and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
>heated substantial alcohol remains.
>https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 07:27:44 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:24:45 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote in alt.usage.english:
>> > * charles:

>> > I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
>> > Crémant

>> and Pét-Nat ?

>Also spelled Pet Matt, I think.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 07:24:41 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote in alt.usage.english:
>> * charles:

>> > naturally sparkling, not with added sparkle.

>> I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
>> Crémant

>and Pét-Nat ?
>
>> all have natural sparkle, and most of them are actually produced with
>> the méthode champenoise. So are many American sparkling wines.
>>
>> --
>> The need of a personal pronoun of the singular number and common
>> gender is so desperate, urgent, imperative, that ... it should long
>> since have grown on our speech -- The Atlantic Monthly (1878)

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 12:32:43 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>>> hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>>> imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>>> wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

>> There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.
>>

>Mogen David.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 9:32:00 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>> >Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>> >vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>> due global warming.

>I heard that a long-time glacier in the alps has broken in half or something. And for the first time, the ice wine festival there was cancelled last year.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > years. >>>

> > northerly >>> due global warming.

> > > When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available.
> > > David bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it
> > > up in a casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I
> > > gave it to the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often
> > > Lab's would do that!

> > It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
> > and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
> > heated substantial alcohol remains.
> > https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

> LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.

I used to, but I think that Dewar & Coke is better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 16:44:00 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> > years. >>>
>> > northerly >>> due global warming.

>> > It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
>> > and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
>> > heated substantial alcohol remains.
>> > https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

>> LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.

>I used to, but I think that Dewar & Coke is better.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:17:21 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> charles > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Peter Moylan > wrote:

> > > The slang term "plonk" comes from French "vin blanc", but I've most
> > > often heard it in reference to cheap red wine.

> > no, that's "kangarouge"

> Only Brits are poor enough, I think, to have
> bad Australian wine shipped halfway round the globe.

Heard of California? Even New York?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 06:59:44 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:17:21 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> charles > wrote:

>> > no, that's "kangarouge"

>> Only Brits are poor enough, I think, to have
>> bad Australian wine shipped halfway round the globe.

>Heard of California? Even New York?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 06:59:44 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:17:21 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> charles > wrote:

>> > no, that's "kangarouge"

>> Only Brits are poor enough, I think, to have
>> bad Australian wine shipped halfway round the globe.

>Heard of California? Even New York?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:00 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
> >>

> > Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

> >> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
> >> due global warming.
> >>

> >I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
> >have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
> >wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
> >and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
> >industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
> >regions in France.

> I've never seen a bottle of Canadian wine yet. It's always Europe,
> Australia, NZ, South America, US and South Africa. Even Algeria,
> Tunesia and Morocco, but never Canada. Do you drink it all yourselves?

Wikipedia says that Canadian provinces of Ontario and British Columbia are the largest wine producers.
Too bad all these places you talk about haven't created the INTENSE historical FOLKLORE behind their wine, like France has.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

bruce bowser wrote:

> On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:00 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> > > Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

> > >I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
> > >have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
> > >wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
> > >and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
> > >industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
> > >regions in France.

> > I've never seen a bottle of Canadian wine yet. It's always Europe,
> > Australia, NZ, South America, US and South Africa. Even Algeria,
> > Tunesia and Morocco, but never Canada. Do you drink it all yourselves?

> Wikipedia says that Canadian provinces of Ontario and British Columbia are the largest wine producers.
> Too bad all these places you talk about haven't created the INTENSE historical FOLKLORE behind their wine, like France has.

Who needs 'INTENSE historical FOLKLORE' when the place is blessed with the likes of a "Dave Smith"...???

;-D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:40:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:37:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> Lots of mogen david made there.
> >>

> >That's good. It is kosher and the finest wine you can get. Used for
> >sacramental purposes.

> Sacramental wine, get outta here!
> --
> The other Dave Smith.

Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California for walking through the winery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-01 11:18 a.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:40:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> That's good. It is kosher and the finest wine you can get. Used for
>>> sacramental purposes.

>> Sacramental wine, get outta here!
>> --
>> The other Dave Smith.

> Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California for walking through the winery.

There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I don't
know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:26:26 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-01 11:18 a.m., bruce bowser wrote:

> >> Sacramental wine, get outta here!
> >> --
> >> The other Dave Smith.

> > Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California for walking through the winery.
> >

> There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I don't
> know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.

Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country. I was just saying that as I understood it, if anyone in eastern environs wants to raise grapes they opt for elsewhere, usually California, where there is a more pleasant feeling year round when you walk amongst the crops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:26:02 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:26:26 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California for walking through the winery.
>> >

>> There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I don't
>> know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.

>Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country. I was just saying that as I understood it, if anyone in eastern environs wants to raise grapes they opt for elsewhere, usually California, where there is a more pleasant feeling year round when you walk amongst the crops.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:18:46 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:40:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>> >That's good. It is kosher and the finest wine you can get. Used for
>> >sacramental purposes.

>> Sacramental wine, get outta here!
>> --
>> The other Dave Smith.

>Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California for walking through the winery.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:44:00 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:00 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> > Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>> >I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>> >have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>> >wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>> >and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>> >industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>> >regions in France.

>> I've never seen a bottle of Canadian wine yet. It's always Europe,
>> Australia, NZ, South America, US and South Africa. Even Algeria,
>> Tunesia and Morocco, but never Canada. Do you drink it all yourselves?

>Wikipedia says that Canadian provinces of Ontario and British Columbia are the largest wine producers.
>Too bad all these places you talk about haven't created the INTENSE historical FOLKLORE behind their wine, like France has.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-01 1:26 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:26:26 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-06-01 11:18 a.m., bruce bowser wrote:

>>> Lake effect snow ice and fog? New Yorkers rather go to California
>>> for walking through the winery.
>>>

>> There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I
>> don't know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.

> Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country.

Maybe you should check a little better and see if it was me or the
nymshifting little Dutch girl troll who is lookinng for validation by
pretending to be me.

> was just saying that as I understood it, if anyone in eastern
> environs wants to raise grapes they opt for elsewhere, usually
> California, where there is a more pleasant feeling year round when
> you walk amongst the crops.

It is nice in California. There is no arguing about that, though I don't
remember how many of them were destroyed by fire last year. There is
not a lot to see in vineyards during the winter, but the tasting rooms
are usually very pleasant year round.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:12:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-01 1:26 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:

>>> There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I
>>> don't know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.

>> Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country.

>Maybe you should check a little better and see if it was me or the
>nymshifting little Dutch girl troll who is lookinng for validation by
>pretending to be me.

If I was pretending to be you, I wouldn't add a signature that says
I'm the other Dave Smith.

Duh.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 07:21:08 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:12:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country.

>>Maybe you should check a little better and see if it was me or the
>>nymshifting little Dutch girl troll who is lookinng for validation by
>>pretending to be me.

>If I was pretending to be you, I wouldn't add a signature that says
>I'm the other Dave Smith.
>
>Duh.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:12:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-01 1:26 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:

>>> There is definitely lake effect snow in Buffalo and western NY. I
>>> don't know how far into the wine growing regions it reaches.

>> Last I checked, you were ranting and raving about NY wine country.

>Maybe you should check a little better and see if it was me or the
>nymshifting little Dutch girl troll who is lookinng for validation by
>pretending to be me.

>> was just saying that as I understood it, if anyone in eastern
>> environs wants to raise grapes they opt for elsewhere, usually
>> California, where there is a more pleasant feeling year round when
>> you walk amongst the crops.

>It is nice in California. There is no arguing about that, though I don't
>remember how many of them were destroyed by fire last year. There is
>not a lot to see in vineyards during the winter, but the tasting rooms
>are usually very pleasant year round.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 4:08:27 PM UTC-4, Lewis wrote in alt.usage.english:
> In message > Tak To > wrote:

> >> Heard of California? Even New York?

> > FWIW,

> > a friend of mine has opened up a small boutique wine shop in
> > Hong Kong after his retirement. According to him, the Brits
> > have the logistics in place to ship small quantities of wine
> > (10-20 cases, I think) all over the world. Note that wine
> > needs to be in special shipping containers to make sure the
> > temperature is kept within a certain range. Similar shipping
> > services have yet to exist in the US. As a result, he can
> > import wine from the US only by air freight and only in the
> > cool seasons (IIRC).

> The US has multiple jurisdictions with multiple laws and restrictions on
> selling and transporting liquor, so the infrastructure for shipping
> alcohol basically does not exist. This is very slowly changing, but it
> is very slow.

Or if the infrastructure does exist, management has more of a control over it than unions or a government jurisdiction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 4:28:07 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 4:08:27 PM UTC-4, Lewis wrote in alt.usage.english:

> > > FWIW,

> > > a friend of mine has opened up a small boutique wine shop in
> > > Hong Kong after his retirement. According to him, the Brits
> > > have the logistics in place to ship small quantities of wine
> > > (10-20 cases, I think) all over the world. Note that wine
> > > needs to be in special shipping containers to make sure the
> > > temperature is kept within a certain range. Similar shipping
> > > services have yet to exist in the US. As a result, he can
> > > import wine from the US only by air freight and only in the
> > > cool seasons (IIRC).

> > The US has multiple jurisdictions with multiple laws and restrictions on
> > selling and transporting liquor, so the infrastructure for shipping
> > alcohol basically does not exist. This is very slowly changing, but it
> > is very slow.

> Or if the infrastructure does exist, management has more of a control over it than unions or a government jurisdiction.

That's the main goal of any company. To prevent workers and the governments from disrupting the company's plans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:22:44 AM UTC-4, wrote in alt.usage.english:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:10:50 AM UTC-7, Quinn C wrote:
> > * :

> > > Depends what you mean by management. Here in Canada, liquor sales are a provincial jurisdiction,
> > > which is to say they are regulated by provincial governments, with a few exceptions. Most liquor
> > > stores are government-owned and operated, and their employees are mostly unionized. Between
> > > government regulations and strong union contracts, management has lots of rules to follow but not
> > > much control over what can and can't be done.

> > Right, but those government organizations aren't going to deal with
> > orders of 10-20 cases, which puts limits on their selection. There are
> > specialists dealing in "private imports" in this province (who know how
> > to clear the imports with the monopoly and pay taxes.)
> >

> Yes, and that is how those government organizations *do* deal with orders
> of 10 or 20 cases. They make rules for how such orders are to be dealt with,
> and the specialists who know how to process such orders will process your
> order, for a reasonable fee.

Fees like what they charge in Monaco or on the island of Kauai in Hawai'i? Is that reasonable?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:05:10 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:22:44 AM UTC-4, wrote in alt.usage.english:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:10:50 AM UTC-7, Quinn C wrote:
>> > * :

>> > Right, but those government organizations aren't going to deal with
>> > orders of 10-20 cases, which puts limits on their selection. There are
>> > specialists dealing in "private imports" in this province (who know how
>> > to clear the imports with the monopoly and pay taxes.)
>> >

>> Yes, and that is how those government organizations *do* deal with orders
>> of 10 or 20 cases. They make rules for how such orders are to be dealt with,
>> and the specialists who know how to process such orders will process your
>> order, for a reasonable fee.

>Fees like what they charge in Monaco or on the island of Kauai in Hawai'i? Is that reasonable?

Not Dave Smith.

Cognac [email protected] General Cooking 53 27-06-2007 08:34 PM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 5 06-04-2005 02:19 AM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 0 04-04-2005 06:50 PM
Cognac question Sigen 3 Winemaking 2 21-12-2003 09:39 PM
Cognac question :-) Sigen 3 Wine 3 21-12-2003 07:27 AM