Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Cognac vs. other Cognac

What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bruce bowser wrote:
> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
> ============================
>
> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

The difference is aged urine. After fermentation and distillation
the french usually urinate in their final product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

bruce bowser wrote:

> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
> ============================
>
> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

Do the CONEHEADS speak French...!!!???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
> ============================
>
> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>> ============================
>>
>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>

>There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

I agree and when both Dave Smiths agree on something, it's true.

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 19:02:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>>> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>>

>>There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>>France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>I agree and when both Dave Smiths agree on something, it's true.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 19:02:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>>> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>>

>>There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>>France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>I agree and when both Dave Smiths agree on something, it's true.

You are an asshole, Bruce. Stop forging Dave Smith.
--
The real Jim Lahey posts with a fifth of whiskey at all times
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and
>> other Cognac?
>> ============================
>>
>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>> --
>> https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>

> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region
> of France.* If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

If you take a leak in france, it's called "Le jus de fin de france"

But anywhere else, it's just called a pot of ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:35:39 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and
>>> other Cognac?
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>>> --
>>> https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>>

>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region
>> of France.* If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>If you take a leak in france, it's called "Le jus de fin de france"
>
>But anywhere else, it's just called a pot of ****.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:23:48 -0400, Jim Lahey >
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 19:02:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>>>France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>>I agree and when both Dave Smiths agree on something, it's true.

>You are an asshole, Bruce. Stop forging Dave Smith.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 6:28:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> > What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
> > ============================
> >
> > Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
> > Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
> > -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
> >

> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 01:35:03 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 6:28:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>> > What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>> > ============================
>> >
>> > Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>> > Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>> > -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>> >

>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

"The name 'Cognac' is protected by Geographical Indication €“ in other
words it needs to be grown and produced in the Cognac region of France
under strict conditions. Only brandy created using such a method is
entitled to be marketed under the name of 'Cognac'."
<https://www.brandyclassics.com/news/2014/01/protecting-the-name-cognac/>

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 05:07:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 01:35:03 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>>> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>>No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

>"The name 'Cognac' is protected by Geographical Indication – in other
>words it needs to be grown and produced in the Cognac region of France
>under strict conditions. Only brandy created using such a method is
>entitled to be marketed under the name of 'Cognac'."
><https://www.brandyclassics.com/news/2014/01/protecting-the-name-cognac/>

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 01:35:03 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 6:28:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>> > What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>> > ============================
>> >
>> > Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>> > Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>> > -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>> >

>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 3:03 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other
>> Cognac?
>> ============================
>>
>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>> --
>> https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>

> The difference is aged urine. After fermentation and distillation the
> french usually urinate in their final product.

Same stuff they use in diesel exhaust fluid?

Sheople are sheople after all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 2:35 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 6:28:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
>>> Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
>>> -- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
>>>

>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

> No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

Well yeah but those are militant Frenchies from the get go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 12:30 PM, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 2:35 AM, bruce bowser wrote:

>>> There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
>>> France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

>> No way.Â* In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of
>> France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.
>>

> Well yeah but those are militant Frenchies from the get go.

French rifle for sale, never fired and only dropped twice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:17:17 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote in alt.usage.english:
> On 15:26 27 May 2021, Quinn C said:
> > * occam:

> >> 'Sherry' is not as generic a name as you think. It originates from
> >> the Spanish town of Jerez (ES). Not unlike 'Port' which traces its
> >> origins to Porto (PT).

> > I sense a severe lack of mental elasticity. If a guest asked you for
> > Sherry, and you hadn't any Sherry in the house, do you think the
> > replies "I don't have any Sherry, how about Scotch?" and "I don't
> > have any Sherry, how about Port?" are equally reasonable?
> >
> > I have no problem knowing the exact definition of Sherry and still
> > using it generically when that's useful.
> >
> > It was already mentioned that Cognac, the name of the most famous
> > brandy, is sometimes used generically for all (grape) brandy.
> > Likewise, Sherry is the most famous fortified wine, so the name is
> > sometimes used generically for all fortified wine.

> I haven't come across that usage in the UK. Even when buying in a
> supermarket, sherry is something quite specific. Same goes for Cognac.
> Perhaps your usage is similar to the usage of "Coke" for any cola.
> > Port is famous enough that the above sentence probably wouldn't
> > happen in the wild - it was designed to make the underlying process
> > more visible - but I've heard people come back from Cyprus and
> > saying that they bought "some of the local Sherry, I don't remember
> > what it's called." Commandaria, actually, but I had to look that up
> > again.

> Maybe they could also call it "schnapps" which has come to be applied to
> syrup-sweetened alcohol with added flavourings, as opposed to the drink
> it tries to imitate.
>
> I suppose it's like being in Thailand and being served "champagne" by the
> locals, which is not going to be champagne. Perhaps these incorrect names
> are a combination of distance, ignorance and affordability.

Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:38:28 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:17:17 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote in alt.usage.english:
>> On 15:26 27 May 2021, Quinn C said:
>> > * occam:

>> > I sense a severe lack of mental elasticity. If a guest asked you for
>> > Sherry, and you hadn't any Sherry in the house, do you think the
>> > replies "I don't have any Sherry, how about Scotch?" and "I don't
>> > have any Sherry, how about Port?" are equally reasonable?
>> >
>> > I have no problem knowing the exact definition of Sherry and still
>> > using it generically when that's useful.
>> >
>> > It was already mentioned that Cognac, the name of the most famous
>> > brandy, is sometimes used generically for all (grape) brandy.
>> > Likewise, Sherry is the most famous fortified wine, so the name is
>> > sometimes used generically for all fortified wine.

>> I haven't come across that usage in the UK. Even when buying in a
>> supermarket, sherry is something quite specific. Same goes for Cognac.
>> Perhaps your usage is similar to the usage of "Coke" for any cola.
>> > Port is famous enough that the above sentence probably wouldn't
>> > happen in the wild - it was designed to make the underlying process
>> > more visible - but I've heard people come back from Cyprus and
>> > saying that they bought "some of the local Sherry, I don't remember
>> > what it's called." Commandaria, actually, but I had to look that up
>> > again.

>> Maybe they could also call it "schnapps" which has come to be applied to
>> syrup-sweetened alcohol with added flavourings, as opposed to the drink
>> it tries to imitate.
>>
>> I suppose it's like being in Thailand and being served "champagne" by the
>> locals, which is not going to be champagne. Perhaps these incorrect names
>> are a combination of distance, ignorance and affordability.

>Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

I snipped all that long-winded post you copied just to add the one line
below.

> Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.

They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> >>

> > I snipped all that long-winded post you copied just to add the one line
> > below.
> >
> > They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.
> >

> How dare you snip the sacred words of master doctor DRUCE?

*SNORT*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:46:18 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
>> >>
>> > I snipped all that long-winded post you copied just to add the one line
>> > below.
>> >
>> > They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.
>> >

>> How dare you snip the sacred words of master doctor DRUCE?
>>

>*SNORT*

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 18:26:22 -0500, Hank Rogers >

>> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
>>>

>> I snipped all that long-winded post you copied just to add the one line
>> below.

>> They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.
>>

>How dare you snip the sacred words of master doctor DRUCE?

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 14:27:21 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
>>

>I snipped all that long-winded post you copied just to add the one line
>below.
>>
>> Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.
>>

>They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:46:18 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>*SNORT*

A very masculine sound, indeed.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:22:54 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:46:18 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>*SNORT*

>A very masculine sound, indeed.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:32:43 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote in alt.usage.english:
> Kerr-Mudd, John > wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:36:29 +0100
> > Ian Jackson > wrote:
> >
> > > In message >, Ian Jackson
> > > >>

> > [maybe]

> > That's just abuse of the phrase; Greene King "IPA" is even worse at 3.6%
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_King#Greene_King
> >
> > An IPA has to be at least 5.5% in my book.
> >
> > https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/138/86959/
> > (SN IPA 6.1%)

> Unless it is at 0.0%
> 'Brand' (the oldest Dutch brewery still in existence)
> makes an IPA at 7%, and a very similar one 0,0%

There is no similarity in that. Kiddie drinks can never be the same as a 7% 14 proof.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:19:52 PM UTC-4, micky wrote in alt.home.repair:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 May 2021 11:19:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
> > wrote:
> >On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 9:46:17 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

> >> If you get a liquid/solid modem, there is rather expensive software that
> >> will analyse the tastes of the two and you can compare the two analyses
> >> manually or with a text comparer.

> >> Are you sure of that? Why would French-speaking cities be different
> >> from towns and rural areas or from non-French-speaking places?
> >>
> >> https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-drinks-2018-9
> >>
> >> I wonder if you went to a liquor store and looked at the ones labeled
> >> cognac if maybe they are all from the Cognac region of France.

> >AFAIK, they all have to be from France. The rest are brandy.
> >

> >> I think Champagne has lost its control of that word, but not every place
> >> has.

> >AFAIK that's not true. Which is why the crap from say, NY state, is labeled
> >sparkling wine.

> You're right! I guess I don't go to the right bars, or I don't spend
> enogh money.

Well, in the Boston to Washington corridor "the right bar" might instead mean an exclusive club where expenses are paid quarterly or yearly, etc.. like on a golf course or at a retreat or in an urban area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:30:13 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:19:52 PM UTC-4, micky wrote in alt.home.repair:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 May 2021 11:19:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
>> > wrote:

>> >AFAIK, they all have to be from France. The rest are brandy.

>> >AFAIK that's not true. Which is why the crap from say, NY state, is labeled
>> >sparkling wine.

>> You're right! I guess I don't go to the right bars, or I don't spend
>> enogh money.

>Well, in the Boston to Washington corridor "the right bar" might instead mean an exclusive club where expenses are paid quarterly or yearly, etc.. like on a golf course or at a retreat or in an urban area.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:30:13 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:19:52 PM UTC-4, micky wrote in alt.home.repair:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 May 2021 11:19:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
>> > wrote:

>> >AFAIK, they all have to be from France. The rest are brandy.

>> >AFAIK that's not true. Which is why the crap from say, NY state, is labeled
>> >sparkling wine.

>> You're right! I guess I don't go to the right bars, or I don't spend
>> enogh money.

>Well, in the Boston to Washington corridor "the right bar" might instead mean an exclusive club where expenses are paid quarterly or yearly, etc.. like on a golf course or at a retreat or in an urban area.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:22:47 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:32:43 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote in alt.usage.english:
>> Kerr-Mudd, John > wrote:

>> > [maybe]

>> > That's just abuse of the phrase; Greene King "IPA" is even worse at 3.6%
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_King#Greene_King
>> >
>> > An IPA has to be at least 5.5% in my book.
>> >
>> > https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/138/86959/
>> > (SN IPA 6.1%)

>> Unless it is at 0.0%
>> 'Brand' (the oldest Dutch brewery still in existence)
>> makes an IPA at 7%, and a very similar one 0,0%

>There is no similarity in that. Kiddie drinks can never be the same as a 7% 14 proof.

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:11:14 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:27:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > > Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.
> > >

> > They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.
> >

> Each of them thinks theirs is patently different. Like cognac from brandy. We all know its the same stuff, but the manufacturers are so good at twisting the law that sometimes they force you not to sayi its not the same.

There's no 'twisting the law.' In Europe it is my understanding for it to be called
champagne it must be made and bottled in France. The other European countries
also make 'champagne' but due to the laws it is called something else (Prosecco,
etc.). Nothing underhanded or twisting about the names of those sparkling wines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:24:23 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>> > They're A L L sparkling wines; just from different countries.
>> >

>> Each of them thinks theirs is patently different. Like cognac from brandy. We all know its the same stuff, but the manufacturers are so good at twisting the law that sometimes they force you not to sayi its not the same.
>>

>There's no 'twisting the law.' In Europe it is my understanding for it to be called
>champagne it must be made and bottled in France. The other European countries
>also make 'champagne' but due to the laws it is called something else (Prosecco,
>etc.). Nothing underhanded or twisting about the names of those sparkling wines.

The other Dave Smith

Cognac [email protected] General Cooking 53 27-06-2007 08:34 PM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 5 06-04-2005 02:19 AM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 0 04-04-2005 06:50 PM
Cognac question Sigen 3 Winemaking 2 21-12-2003 08:39 PM
Cognac question :-) Sigen 3 Wine 3 21-12-2003 06:27 AM