Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cognac

I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Jun, 05:36, wrote:
> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
> drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
> red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
> the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
> like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
> and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
> temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
> something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
> alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
> I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
> Thanks.

Give it a try my friend.
Warming with a flame is just showing off, but a bowl shaped brandy
glass is designed to be held in the palm of the hand, so warming the
brandy. But brandy doesn't have to be warm to be enjoyed. I've even
drank it with ice if that's how the mood takes me.
Cognac or brandy? Unless you live in France don't get hung up on it.
The individual brands will have distinctive flavours. You'll just have
to try a few to see what you like. Lots of research, but I guess
you'll just have to work your way through it!
If you're looking for quality rather than quantity then buy something
with a 4 or 5 star rating. One of my personal favourites is Asbach, a
German brandy which I acquired a taste for while serving there in the
armed forces. The connoiseurs will, no doubt, sneer at that choice,
but who cares what they think.
Essentially, too cheap tends to be a bit rough, but you'll enjoy a
good quality brandy from any of the major brands. If you want to spend
a bit more you can get better quality.
One tip, don't try and do all your research in one night!
Enjoy.

John Morgan
www.morgans-net.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Morgan wrote:

> Cognac or brandy? Unless you live in France don't get hung up on it.
> The individual brands will have distinctive flavours. You'll just have
> to try a few to see what you like. Lots of research, but I guess
> you'll just have to work your way through it!
> If you're looking for quality rather than quantity then buy something
> with a 4 or 5 star rating. One of my personal favourites is Asbach, a
> German brandy which I acquired a taste for while serving there in the
> armed forces. The connoiseurs will, no doubt, sneer at that choice,
> but who cares what they think.

Also Cardenal Mendoza from Spain is a good brandy.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You want a single-vineyard, single-vintage Cognac from the
Cognac region of France. There are other good brandies in
the world, i.e. California brandy from Germain Robard, but
you probably want the reference point of a good Cognac.

Here is a link to one retailer.
http://www.klwines.com/find/search.asp?id=50
If you have a wine retailer you trust, ask them.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> You want a single-vineyard, single-vintage Cognac from the
> Cognac region of France. There are other good brandies in
> the world, i.e. California brandy from Germain Robard, but
> you probably want the reference point of a good Cognac.

To add up to what Steve wrote, here's a map of the Cognac region:
http://www.diwinetaste.com/html/dwt2...appaCognac.gif
The six areas are listed in order of quality, but some say that there's very
little difference between Petit Champagne and Grand champagne in terms of
quality.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...
> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time.

Can't really help with the cognac, but I'm going through the sme thing
with Gin. I've always been a Vodka or Bourbon drinker, but Gins have
been getting more and more popular, and I've read about the different
types.
Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
fragrent and bitter sweet.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...
> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
> drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
> red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
> the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
> like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
> and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
> temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
> something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
> alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
> I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
> Thanks.

Cognac, which is brandy made in the Cognac region of France, is best
drunk straight in a snifter, no ice.

Regular brandy, which is made in many places (Spain makes some lovely
ones) is versatile. I like brandy and soda. Of course you could use
cognac for this but I think it would be a waste of $$.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A said...

> In article >, rfdjr1
> @optonline.net says...
>> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much
>> of a drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much
>> only drink red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never
>> developed a taste for the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm
>> wondering what cognac would be like. All I know about it is that it
>> seems to be a classy drink. My question, and forgive me for asking such
>> a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean, temperature, serving
>> size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming something up
>> over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
>> alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also
>> brands? I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure
>> late in life. Thanks.
>>

> Cognac, which is brandy made in the Cognac region of France, is best
> drunk straight in a snifter, no ice.
>
> Regular brandy, which is made in many places (Spain makes some lovely
> ones) is versatile. I like brandy and soda. Of course you could use
> cognac for this but I think it would be a waste of $$.

I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink window
shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."

That's orange cognac, right?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:23:01 +0100, Elder
> wrote:

>Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
>fragrent and bitter sweet.

T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:08:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink window
>shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."

Before I lost the recipe, it was the "secret" ingredient in my
pineapple/orange marmalade.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink
> window shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."
> That's orange cognac, right?

Don't know what it is, but having drank it many times I can say the 2 things
are lightyears distant, Grand marnier is damns sweet and thick. But both do
well on ice cream...
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
>> fragrent and bitter sweet.

> T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

Lining up the good ones, eh? OK, let's put Bombay Sapphire in the number
then.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> says...
> I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink window
> shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."
>
> That's orange cognac, right?

I believe that's right, sweetened too. Mix some in your syrup.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:08:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>

>>I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink window
>>shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."
>>

> Before I lost the recipe, it was the "secret" ingredient in my
> pineapple/orange marmalade.

sf,

I'll bet that spiced up breakfast!

Let me guess, you like coffee before sex too??

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 7:50 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> >> Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
> >> fragrent and bitter sweet.

> > T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

> Lining up the good ones, eh? OK, let's put Bombay Sapphire in the number
> then.
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Agreed! It also has to be a martini, not mixed with tonic!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf says...
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:23:01 +0100, Elder
> > wrote:
>
> >Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
> >fragrent and bitter sweet.

> T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

Not yet. I have to admit, the Tanqueray will need to be finished first,
then some other brands.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Elder wrote:
> In article >, sf says...
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:23:01 +0100, Elder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
>>> fragrent and bitter sweet.

>> T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?
>>

> Not yet. I have to admit, the Tanqueray will need to be finished first,
> then some other brands.

I'm currently drinking some gin named New Amsterdam Straight Gin. I sent
22 yr old to get some gin and this is what he returned with. I swear I
think he bought it because of the massive, heavy, funky bottle? You
could almost make a lamp out of it..?
Hmmmmmm... kid lives on his own now...probably DOES need a lamp...maybe
that *is* what he was thinking?! LOL
http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178719
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> Hmmmmmm... kid lives on his own now...probably DOES need a lamp...maybe
> that *is* what he was thinking?! LOL
> http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178719

Actually sounds quite pleasant. Wonder if I can find that in the UK.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 9:36 pm, wrote:
> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
> drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
> red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
> the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
> like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
> and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
> temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
> something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
> alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
> I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
> Thanks.

At one time, I worked in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins.
As an employee and after 6 months of working there, you & 3 guests can
have dinner there(one time only). My husband, Mom, & sister were my
guests. After a fabulous dinner, we were asked if we would like an
after dinner drink. Of course, but what to have?? Our server said he
would pick out something good for us. He returned with 4 glasses of
Cognaq, which we enjoyed. As we were getting ready to leave, he
informed me not to tell, but we had just had $1000.00 worth of Cognac
after our $500.00 dinner!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote

> At one time, I worked in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins.
> As an employee and after 6 months of working there, you & 3 guests can
> have dinner there(one time only). My husband, Mom, & sister were my
> guests. After a fabulous dinner, we were asked if we would like an
> after dinner drink. Of course, but what to have?? Our server said he
> would pick out something good for us. He returned with 4 glasses of
> Cognaq, which we enjoyed. As we were getting ready to leave, he
> informed me not to tell, but we had just had $1000.00 worth of Cognac
> after our $500.00 dinner!

Mmm hmmm. I'll believe that if you tell me he charged you that for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote
>

> > At one time, I worked in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins.
> > As an employee and after 6 months of working there, you & 3 guests can
> > have dinner there(one time only). My husband, Mom, & sister were my
> > guests. After a fabulous dinner, we were asked if we would like an
> > after dinner drink. Of course, but what to have?? Our server said he
> > would pick out something good for us. He returned with 4 glasses of
> > Cognaq, which we enjoyed. As we were getting ready to leave, he
> > informed me not to tell, but we had just had $1000.00 worth of Cognac
> > after our $500.00 dinner!

> Mmm hmmm. I'll believe that if you tell me he charged you that for it.

No charge- the one time meal was gratis. And I really don't care if
you believe me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 14, 1:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "merryb" > wrote
>>

>> > At one time, I worked in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins.
>> > As an employee and after 6 months of working there, you & 3 guests can
>> > have dinner there(one time only). My husband, Mom, & sister were my
>> > guests. After a fabulous dinner, we were asked if we would like an
>> > after dinner drink. Of course, but what to have?? Our server said he
>> > would pick out something good for us. He returned with 4 glasses of
>> > Cognaq, which we enjoyed. As we were getting ready to leave, he
>> > informed me not to tell, but we had just had $1000.00 worth of Cognac
>> > after our $500.00 dinner!

>> Mmm hmmm. I'll believe that if you tell me he charged you that for it.

> No charge- the one time meal was gratis. And I really don't care if
> you believe me!

I don't need you to care, but it might be nice for you if you knew when a
waiter was conning you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, (Steve Pope) writes:
> You want a single-vineyard, single-vintage Cognac from the
> Cognac region of France. There are other good brandies in
> the world, i.e. California brandy from Germain Robard, but
> you probably want the reference point of a good Cognac.
>
> Here is a link to one retailer.

http://www.klwines.com/find/search.asp?id=50
> If you have a wine retailer you trust, ask them.

The first time I tried cognac I discovered that I liked the flavor. It is
strong, though. I think the flavor is very complementary with dark chocolate.
A glass of cognac and a little dish of chocolate mousse is sheer heaven.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:59 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Jun 14, 1:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >> "merryb" > wrote

> >> Mmm hmmm. I'll believe that if you tell me he charged you that for it.

> > No charge- the one time meal was gratis. And I really don't care if
> > you believe me!

> I don't need you to care, but it might be nice for you if you knew when a
> waiter was conning you.- Hide quoted text -

You are right- he could have been full of it! It was a great time, and
I didn't have to pay for it, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Generally, Cognac is drank with cola:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=henny

Gin with fruit juice:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=gin+and+juice

--
Dave S

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave S" > wrote in message

> Generally, Cognac is drank with cola:

By whom, for God's sake?

> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=henny
>
> Gin with fruit juice:
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=gin+and+juice
> --
> Dave S

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave S" > wrote in message

> Generally, Cognac is drank with cola:

No, no, no. It isn't whiskey. It is made from grapes and is to be enjoyed
straight up, maybe on the rocks, but I have never seen that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote

> Anyone who drinks cognac with cola should be put in the same sinking
> boat as those who mix scotch with milk.

I seem to remember that some old guys with stomach problems ordered
these in one of the first neighborhood bars I worked in. The kind of guys
who would open and close the bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:50:07 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> Tried tanqueray in a classic gin and tonic and is was wonderful and
>>> fragrent and bitter sweet.

>> T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

>Lining up the good ones, eh? OK, let's put Bombay Sapphire in the number
>then.

Oh, Vilco.... Adulterating Sapphire with tonic is almost
sacrilegious! Sapphire Blue is best in a "dry" martini.... I haven't
worked up to "very dry" yet. "Very dry" (IMO) is when you whisper
"vermouth" over the gin. That's too dry for me.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:17:14 +0100, Elder
> wrote:

>I quite fancy some martini variations (especially on the garnish) with
>thinkgs like jelapeno stuffed olive.

DD has developed a taste for "dirty" martinis. I like olives etc, but
not when they displace gin. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:28:04 +0100, Elder
> wrote:

>Going to try an organic plymouth gin too.

I don't buy booze until I can try it in a bar or wherever. The couple
of times I've asked for Plymouth at a bar, they haven't had it. I
don't even know if my local Liquor Barn carries it. I need to look.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:31:38 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Hmmmmmm... kid lives on his own now...probably DOES need a lamp...maybe
>that *is* what he was thinking?! LOL
>http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178719

Now you have to take a picture of that bottle so we can see what it
looks like.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:16:29 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

> said...
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:08:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>>

>>>I've got an airplane bottle of Grand Marnier on the kitchen sink window
>>>shelf. Supposedly good for a French toast "marinade."
>>>

>> Before I lost the recipe, it was the "secret" ingredient in my
>> pineapple/orange marmalade.

>sf,
>
>I'll bet that spiced up breakfast!

Seriously, it really DID make a difference in the mixture! I made it
one time without the GM and there was a definite difference which I
didn't like.

>Let me guess, you like coffee before sex too??

Coffee???? I'm not "that" easy. Sheesh! Give me some credit.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:20:33 -0700, merryb > wrote:

>> > T&T is wonderful! Have you tried Beefeaters and Tonic yet?

>> Lining up the good ones, eh? OK, let's put Bombay Sapphire in the number
>> then.
>> --
>> Vilco
>> Think pink, drink rose'

>Agreed! It also has to be a martini, not mixed with tonic!

Thank you Merry... Sapphire *makes* a great martini!

--
See return address to reply by email

Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 5 06-04-2005 02:19 AM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 0 04-04-2005 06:50 PM
Cognac question Sigen 3 Winemaking 2 21-12-2003 09:39 PM
Cognac question :-) Sigen 3 Wine 3 21-12-2003 07:27 AM
Cognac recommendation? J Derby Wine 6 14-11-2003 05:35 AM