Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Cognac vs. other Cognac

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:46:23 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:32:01 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:22:14 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>Graham's almost as big a patriot as Janet UK. They could be the UK
>>>promotion team together. Travelling the world with little UK flags.

>>Currently, thanks to Trump, those little UK flags get a nicer
>>reception than the stars and stripes!

>Yes, although the UK has always been more popular than the US, at
>least in Europe and Australia. Any European country's more popular
>than the US, although I'm not sure about Albania.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:28:10 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:50:51 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:
>
>>On 5/29/2021 3:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Global warming makes dreary tundra's

>>There is NO "global warming".

>Is your surname Trump?

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:29:14 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-29 9:32 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:22:14 +1000, Dave Smith

>>> Currently, thanks to Trump, those little UK flags get a nicer
>>> reception than the stars and stripes!
>>>

>> I trust you realize you are talking to the frogging troll.
>>

>Master doctor druce, right?

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:32:07 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 07:43:28 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2021 07:43:15 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>Global warming makes dreary tundra's like the UK and the Netherlands
>>>suitable for wine production.

>>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

>Well the 'other' Dave Smith is mindlessly boring. You must have a
>sorry life to spend all this time with these senseless posts. We can
>out wait you though, so keep trying!

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:23:07 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 18:51:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Also, with our climate, we can make icewines that out-do the German ones.

>>That has become a major product here. We are pretty well guaranteed to
>>have temperatures drop to -18 early enough in winter that the birds
>>don't get all the grapes. It can be marvelous stuff in small does, but
>>my gawd it is sweet.

>Yuck, sweet wine. Don't export it, please. Drink it all.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 18:51:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-29 6:19 p.m., Graham wrote:

>>> There are some Niagara wineries that produce Champagne style wines
>>> using the traditional methods.* They make some pretty good bubbly and
>>> there is no reason it should not be good because our climate and soil
>>> conditions are similar to Champagne.

>> Also, with our climate, we can make icewines that out-do the German ones.

>That has become a major product here. We are pretty well guaranteed to
>have temperatures drop to -18 early enough in winter that the birds
>don't get all the grapes. It can be marvelous stuff in small does, but
>my gawd it is sweet.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:27:42 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:19:28 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>>> There are some Niagara wineries that produce Champagne style wines using
>>> the traditional methods.* They make some pretty good bubbly and there is
>>> no reason it should not be good because our climate and soil conditions
>>> are similar to Champagne.

>>Also, with our climate, we can make icewines that out-do the German ones.

>Canadian wine sounds like Norwegian mangoes.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:22:14 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:18:10 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>>> Will they be shipping it back to the Champagne region so they can call
>>> it that, or will they* have a high quality product that competes with
>>> their high priced product?

>>No. The French AC regs are pretty tight and well policed. The English
>>bubbly can well stand on it's own.

>Graham's almost as big a patriot as Janet UK. They could be the UK
>promotion team together. Travelling the world with little UK flags.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:05:48 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:50:51 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:
>
>>On 5/29/2021 3:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Global warming makes dreary tundra's

>>There is NO "global warming".

>There's also no pandemic.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:06:04 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 5:38:52 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:

>> > It not only has to be made in France. It has to be from the Champagne
>> > region. We used to have a number of locally made Champagne wines but
>> > some time back they had to stop calling it that. Now they names like
>> > Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>I bet they're looking at every property on Earth that can dump out grapes.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 7:28 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:50:51 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/2021 3:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Global warming makes dreary tundra's

>> There is NO "global warming".

> Is your surname Trump?

Is yours Greta?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 7:31 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>>> It not only has to be made in France. It has to be from the Champagne
>>> region.Â* We used to have a number of locally made Champagne wines but
>>> some time back they had to stop calling it that. Now they names like
>>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
> due global warming.

Climate change is not "global warming".

That requires both hemispheres dear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 7:32 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:22:14 +1000, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> No. The French AC regs are pretty tight and well policed. The English
>>> bubbly can well stand on it's own.

>> Graham's almost as big a patriot as Janet UK. They could be the UK
>> promotion team together. Travelling the world with little UK flags.

> Currently, thanks to Trump, those little UK flags get a nicer
> reception than the stars and stripes!

Likely not in Scottyland, heh...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2021 12:00 AM, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 5/29/2021 7:31 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>> due global warming.
>>

> Climate change is not "global warming".
>
> That requires both hemispheres dear.

https://gpm.nasa.gov/education/artic...climate-change
Global warming: the increase in Earths average surface temperature due
to rising levels of greenhouse gases.

Climate change: a long-term change in the Earths climate, or of a
region on Earth.

Within scientific journals, this is still how the two terms are used.
Global warming refers to surface temperature increases, while climate
change includes global warming and everything else that increasing
greenhouse gas amounts will affect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:32:01 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:22:14 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>No. The French AC regs are pretty tight and well policed. The English
>>>bubbly can well stand on it's own.

>>Graham's almost as big a patriot as Janet UK. They could be the UK
>>promotion team together. Travelling the world with little UK flags.

>Currently, thanks to Trump, those little UK flags get a nicer
>reception than the stars and stripes!

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:31:54 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>>> It not only has to be made in France. It has to be from the Champagne
>>> region.* We used to have a number of locally made Champagne wines but
>>> some time back they had to stop calling it that. Now they names like
>>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>>vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>due global warming.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:19:28 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-05-29 3:57 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>> There are some Niagara wineries that produce Champagne style wines using
>> the traditional methods.* They make some pretty good bubbly and there is
>> no reason it should not be good because our climate and soil conditions
>> are similar to Champagne.

>Also, with our climate, we can make icewines that out-do the German ones.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:18:10 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-05-29 3:54 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>> Will they be shipping it back to the Champagne region so they can call
>> it that, or will they* have a high quality product that competes with
>> their high priced product?

>No. The French AC regs are pretty tight and well policed. The English
>bubbly can well stand on it's own.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 00:12:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/30/2021 12:00 AM, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>>> due global warming.
>>>

>> Climate change is not "global warming".
>>
>> That requires both hemispheres dear.

https://gpm.nasa.gov/education/artic...climate-change
>Global warming: the increase in Earth’s average surface temperature due
>to rising levels of greenhouse gases.
>
>Climate change: a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a
>region on Earth.
>
>Within scientific journals, this is still how the two terms are used.
>Global warming refers to surface temperature increases, while climate
>change includes global warming and everything else that increasing
>greenhouse gas amounts will affect.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:27:40 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>>>

>> *Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit
>>> northerly
>>> due global warming.
>>>

>> I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine.
>> We have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago
>> the local wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working
>> with varietals and made some good wines.* Others followed suit and
>> now it is a major industry. Our climate is similar to the that of
>> some of the great wine regions in France.

>Lots of mogen david made there.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 9:32 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> Well Dave Smith is mindlessly boring.

INDEED!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>>

> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.
>>>
>>> Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
>>> vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>> due global warming.
>>

>I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>regions in France.

When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-30 8:11 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>> have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>> wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>> and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>> industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>> regions in France.

> When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
> bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
> casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
> the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
> that!

Andres was one of the better ones at the time. They don't even operate
under that name around here anymore but they have some wineries under
their corporate umbrella that make excellent wines.

It is still entertaining to listen to people disparaging Niagara wines
while they slurp away at cheap French and Italian wines that are much
lower quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>On Sat, 29 May 2021 Dave Smith wrote:
>>On 2021-05-29 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 Graham wrote:
>>>

>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>>> due global warming.

>>I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>>have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>>wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>>and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>>industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>>regions in France.

>When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>that!

It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
heated substantial alcohol remains.
https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote in alt.usage.english:
> * charles:
> > In article >,
> > Pamela > wrote:

> >> Champagne is a sparkling white wine from Champagne. It could hardly be
> >> simpler.

> > naturally sparkling, not with added sparkle.

> I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
> Crémant

and Pét-Nat ?

> all have natural sparkle, and most of them are actually produced with
> the méthode champenoise. So are many American sparkling wines.
>
> --
> The need of a personal pronoun of the singular number and common
> gender is so desperate, urgent, imperative, that ... it should long
> since have grown on our speech -- The Atlantic Monthly (1878)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:24:45 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote in alt.usage.english:
> > * charles:

> > > naturally sparkling, not with added sparkle.

> > I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
> > Crémant

> and Pét-Nat ?

Also spelled Pet Matt, I think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-30 7:26 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-30 8:11 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:52:03 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>>> have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>>> wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>>> and made some good wines.Â* Others followed suit and now it is a major
>>> industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>>> regions in France.

>> When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>> bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>> casserole.Â* Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>> the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>> that!
>>

> Andres was one of the better ones at the time. They don't even operate
> under that nameÂ* around here anymore but they have some wineries under
> their corporate umbrella that make excellent wines.
>
> It is still entertaining to listen to people disparaging Niagara wines
> while they slurp away at cheap French and Italian wines that are much
> lower quality.

My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 9:32:00 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:

> >> It not only has to be made in France. It has to be from the Champagne
> >> region. We used to have a number of locally made Champagne wines but
> >> some time back they had to stop calling it that. Now they names like
> >> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

> >Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
> >vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent years.

> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
> due global warming.

I heard that a long-time glacier in the alps has broken in half or something. And for the first time, the ice wine festival there was cancelled last year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-30 10:30 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2021-05-30 7:26 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>> It is still entertaining to listen to people disparaging Niagara wines
>> while they slurp away at cheap French and Italian wines that are much
>> lower quality.

> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-30 10:30 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On 2021-05-30 7:26 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> It is still entertaining to listen to people disparaging Niagara wines
>>> while they slurp away at cheap French and Italian wines that are much
>>> lower quality.

>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 10:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/30/2021 12:00 AM, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>>> As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit northerly
>>> due global warming.
>>>

>> Climate change is not "global warming".
>>
>> That requires both hemispheres dear.

https://gpm.nasa.gov/education/artic...climate-change

> Global warming: the increase in Earths average surface temperature due
> to rising levels of greenhouse gases.

Impossible given the physics of this closed loop system:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/...ge/1023334.stm

Not our fault

Are we, the fossil-fuel-burning public, partially responsible for this
recent warming trend? Almost assuredly not.

These small global temperature increases of the last 25 years and over
the last century are likely natural changes that the globe has seen many
times in the past.

Human kind has little or nothing to do with the recent temperature changes

William M. Gray
Colorado State University
This small warming is likely a result of the natural alterations in
global ocean currents which are driven by ocean salinity variations.
Ocean circulation variations are as yet little understood.

Human kind has little or nothing to do with the recent temperature
changes. We are not that influential.

There is a negative or complementary nature to human-induced greenhouse
gas increases in comparison with the dominant natural greenhouse gas of
water vapour and its cloud derivatives.

It has been assumed by the human-induced global warming advocates that
as anthropogenic greenhouse gases increase that water vapour and
upper-level cloudiness will also rise and lead to accelerated warming -
a positive feedback loop.

It is not the human-induced greenhouse gases themselves which cause
significant warming but the assumed extra water vapour and cloudiness
that some scientists hypothesise.

Negative feedback

The global general circulation models which simulate significant amounts
of human-induced warming are incorrectly structured to give this
positive feedback loop.

Their internal model assumptions are thus not realistic.

Carbon dioxide BBC
Mainstream opinion believes that pollution contributes to climate change
As human-induced greenhouse gases rise, global-averaged upper-level
atmospheric water vapour and thin cirrus should be expected to decrease
not increase.

Water vapour and cirrus cloudiness should be thought of as a negative
rather than a positive feedback to human-induced - or anthropogenic
greenhouse gas increases.

No significant human-induced greenhouse gas warming can occur with such
a negative feedback loop.

> Climate change: a long-term change in the Earths climate, or of a
> region on Earth.

No, climate change can simply be an adjustment of the latitudes of each
given climatic belt.

> Within scientific journals, this is still how the two terms are used.
> Global warming refers to surface temperature increases, while climate
> change includes global warming and everything else that increasing
> greenhouse gas amounts will affect.

lacking a change on solar input we have no other means to HEAT this
planet, but we can COOL it quickly by volcanism or increased cloudiness.

Both increase albedo.

You get what that means, yes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-05-29 9:31 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >On Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:46 -0600, Graham > wrote:
> >

> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.
> > >
> > > Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
> > > vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent
> > > years.

> > As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit
> > northerly due global warming.
> >

> I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine.
> We have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the
> local wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with
> varietals and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it
> is a major industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of
> the great wine regions in France.

Local winaries here have been doing well too. Interestingly, when we
were the 'colonies', Virginia was renowned for it's wines. Somehow it
fell off the scopes (possibly prohibition?) but now it's kicking off
nicely.

Australia also has some very nice wines as well.

I've never needed or really liked super fancy or super dry wines. I
like a decent crisp table white or rose best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2021 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >>>
> >> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

> years. >>>

> northerly >>> due global warming.
> > >
> > > I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of
> > > wine. We have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60
> > > years ago the local wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys
> > > started working with varietals and made some good wines. Others
> > > followed suit and now it is a major industry. Our climate is
> > > similar to the that of some of the great wine regions in France.

> > When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available.
> > David bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it
> > up in a casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I
> > gave it to the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often
> > Lab's would do that!

> It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
> and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
> heated substantial alcohol remains.
> https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.
Don learned to put them up high if he left the room.

Roscoe would dip a paw in then lick it dry and go on about his
business. If the level was too low to reach, he'd knock it over, wet a
paw and lick it dry then go about his business. Silly cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-30 12:30 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

> LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.
> Don learned to put them up high if he left the room.
>
> Roscoe would dip a paw in then lick it dry and go on about his
> business. If the level was too low to reach, he'd knock it over, wet a
> paw and lick it dry then go about his business. Silly cat.

I have never had a dog who was interested in alcohol but my brother had
a lab mutt who was a juice head. He would knock over bottles of beer
and lick up whatever spilled out, and it was no accident. My brother
thought it was pretty funny that his dog like beer almost as much as he
did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 10:03:03 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>>
>>> Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

>>>I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of wine. We
>>>have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60 years ago the local
>>>wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys started working with varietals
>>>and made some good wines. Others followed suit and now it is a major
>>>industry. Our climate is similar to the that of some of the great wine
>>>regions in France.

>>When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available. David
>>bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it up in a
>>casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I gave it to
>>the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often Lab's would do
>>that!

>It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
>and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
>heated substantial alcohol remains.
>https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

Must have done something right, he lived until 17, a good age for a
lab.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>> We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>> hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>> imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>> wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

> There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.

Mogen David.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-30 10:30 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On 2021-05-30 7:26 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> It is still entertaining to listen to people disparaging Niagara wines
>>> while they slurp away at cheap French and Italian wines that are much
>>> lower quality.

>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

We get it, Dave. We get it. W e g e t i t.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:26:13 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:15:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> My favorites come from the Okanagan. I prefer the Gamay from one winery
>>> to any Beaujolais and a pinot noir to any Burgundy at the same price-point.

>>We have a good friend who is our wine guru. He turned a wine tasting
>>hobby into a post retirement job and is involved with wine shows for
>>imported wine tastings. He says that anyone who things there are no good
>>wines grown in Niagara doesn't know anything about wine.

>There are many excellent winerys in NY State, even on Long Island.

Do they add xanthan gum and foam suppressant?

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:44:04 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

> [...] solar input we have no other means to HEAT this planet

You are 90% correct regarding the relative contribution of insolation
(incoming solar radiation). About 9% is tidal friction (70% lunar + 30%
solar) and 1% is from residual nucleotide fission.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:30:31 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.
>Don learned to put them up high if he left the room.
>
>Roscoe would dip a paw in then lick it dry and go on about his
>business. If the level was too low to reach, he'd knock it over, wet a
>paw and lick it dry then go about his business. Silly cat.

What do you think a teatotaler is?

--
The other Dave Smith.

Cognac [email protected] General Cooking 53 27-06-2007 08:34 PM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 5 06-04-2005 02:19 AM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 0 04-04-2005 06:50 PM
Cognac question Sigen 3 Winemaking 2 21-12-2003 08:39 PM
Cognac question :-) Sigen 3 Wine 3 21-12-2003 06:27 AM