Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Planned Sunday Dinner 5/2/2021

On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/4/2021 7:47 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Filet Minon. A petite/petit (don't argue language semantics) beef
>>> filet, about 2 inches thick. Quite nice!

>> OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
>> Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
>>

> It wasn't at all bland. I pretty much described how I seasoned it but
> I'll say it again. Sprinkled well with coarse salt and coarsely ground
> black pepper, well wrapped in plastic. Let it sit, in the refrigerator.
> It's best if you do this overnight. I prepped it in the early morning
> and didn't cook the steak until the evening so the results were very
> similar.
>
> I seared it quick and hot. This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
> seared and cooked to rare. I had been musing about garlic-herb butter
> but opted for just a small pat of butter. Trust me, there was nothing
> bland about it. And it was extremely tender.
>
> Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you cook
> all cuts of beef?

Yes, I always use a bit of that.
Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.

I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more flavor.
Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.

For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
Then press into each side, garlic powder, kosher salt and cracked
pepper. Sometimes another dried herb or two.

Quickly sear on both sides then turn down the heat to finish to med-rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 May 2021 09:02:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-05 1:15 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 May 2021 18:39:51 -0500, "cshenk"

>>> Sounds good! I don't have birds eye peppers here but I get the idea of
>>> it. Probably 3/4 inch anaheim pepper worth would work?

>> The Scoville Unit of Birds Eye peppers is in the neighborhood of
>> 100,000, An Anaheim pepper is a mild pepper that can vary from maybe
>> 500 to 1200
>> Watch out for those tiny peppers (birds eye), they're nasty hot
>>

>We use them a lot but have to be very careful. I have to cut them very
>finely and get them well distributed in the dish because they are so
>powerful. I have been making this soup for a while and used to finely
>slice the peppers but getting a piece was pretty severe heat. It is
>just too damned odd. Lately I got into the habit of using only half a
>pepper and just simmering it in the soup for a while and then removing
>it. That leaves a nice heat.

do you get a flavor from the birds eye or just heat?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:39:46 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
> >> Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
> >>

> > It wasn't at all bland. I pretty much described how I seasoned it but
> > I'll say it again. Sprinkled well with coarse salt and coarsely ground
> > black pepper, well wrapped in plastic. Let it sit, in the refrigerator.
> > It's best if you do this overnight. I prepped it in the early morning
> > and didn't cook the steak until the evening so the results were very
> > similar.
> >
> > I seared it quick and hot. This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
> > seared and cooked to rare. I had been musing about garlic-herb butter
> > but opted for just a small pat of butter. Trust me, there was nothing
> > bland about it. And it was extremely tender.
> >
> > Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you cook
> > all cuts of beef?

> Yes, I always use a bit of that.
> Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
> flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.
>
> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more flavor.
> Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>
> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
> Then press into each side, garlic powder, kosher salt and cracked
> pepper. Sometimes another dried herb or two.
>
> Quickly sear on both sides then turn down the heat to finish to med-rare.

Yeah. Pan. Frying. We know, Gary. Thank you for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> On Tue, 04 May 2021 18:39:51 -0500, "cshenk"
> > wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> >> uggestion a threw in some small egg noodles. Delicious.

> vertcal >> > rotisserie. Don and I both prefer dark meat so eat that
> but the >> > breasts make a nice chicken salad.

> >> I forgot to mention the hot pepper. I used half a birds eye pepper
> >> and that seems to give a nice heat without overdoing it. So...
> >> roughly two cups low sodium broth, one star anise, half a pepper, a
> >> couple basil leaves, a tsp of low sodium and a squeeze of juice.
> >> Simmer it for about 5 minutes. I cooked it longer this time because
> >> of the noodles. Remove the pepper and star anise and server.... or
> >> leave them in but don't eat them.

> > Sounds good! I don't have birds eye peppers here but I get the
> > idea of it. Probably 3/4 inch anaheim pepper worth would work?

> The Scoville Unit of Birds Eye peppers is in the neighborhood of
> 100,000, An Anaheim pepper is a mild pepper that can vary from maybe
> 500 to 1200
> Watch out for those tiny peppers (birds eye), they're nasty hot
> Janet US

Yes, that's why I hit one more my heat level. Bird's eyes and
habaneros don't like me and it's mutual (grin).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
> > > Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
> > >

> > It wasn't at all bland. I pretty much described how I seasoned it
> > but I'll say it again. Sprinkled well with coarse salt and
> > coarsely ground black pepper, well wrapped in plastic. Let it sit,
> > in the refrigerator. It's best if you do this overnight. I
> > prepped it in the early morning and didn't cook the steak until the
> > evening so the results were very similar.
> >
> > I seared it quick and hot. This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
> > seared and cooked to rare. I had been musing about garlic-herb
> > butter but opted for just a small pat of butter. Trust me, there
> > was nothing bland about it. And it was extremely tender.
> >
> > Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you
> > cook all cuts of beef?

> Yes, I always use a bit of that.
> Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
> flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.
>
> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more
> flavor. Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>
> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
> Then press into each side, garlic powder, kosher salt and cracked
> pepper. Sometimes another dried herb or two.
>
> Quickly sear on both sides then turn down the heat to finish to
> med-rare.

I'm going to have to try cooking a tuna steak one of these days. Don
and I always turn them into lovely Sashimi instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2021 10:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
>>> Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
>>>

>> It wasn't at all bland.Â* I pretty much described how I seasoned it but
>> I'll say it again.Â* Sprinkled well with coarse salt and coarsely ground
>> black pepper, well wrapped in plastic.Â* Let it sit, in the refrigerator.
>> Â*It's best if you do this overnight.Â* I prepped it in the early morning
>> and didn't cook the steak until the evening so the results were very
>> similar.
>>
>> I seared it quick and hot.Â* This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
>> seared and cooked to rare.Â* I had been musing about garlic-herb butter
>> but opted for just a small pat of butter.Â* Trust me, there was nothing
>> bland about it.Â* And it was extremely tender.
>>
>> Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you cook
>> all cuts of beef?

> Yes, I always use a bit of that.
> Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
> flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.
>
> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more flavor.
> Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>
> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.

(snippage)

That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce". If the steaks you buy
already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it. Seems like you're not
enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak.
Especially if you're talking about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I
recently bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.

Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2021 7:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more
>> flavor. Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>>
>> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
>> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
>>

> (snippage)
>
> That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce".Â* If the steaks you buy
> already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
> the Worcestershire sauce?Â* I don't get it.Â* Seems like you're not
> enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak. Especially
> if you're talking about a ribeye.Â* I love ribeye, too.Â* I recently
> bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.
>
> Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> Sauce and the old Heinz 57?
>
> Jill

For me: Salt, pepper, garlic. When off the grill at 110 deg. a pat of
butter while resting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/05/2021 00:00, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:

>>> It wasn't at all bland. I pretty much described how I seasoned it
>>> but I'll say it again. Sprinkled well with coarse salt and
>>> coarsely ground black pepper, well wrapped in plastic. Let it sit,
>>> in the refrigerator. It's best if you do this overnight. I
>>> prepped it in the early morning and didn't cook the steak until the
>>> evening so the results were very similar.
>>>
>>> I seared it quick and hot. This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
>>> seared and cooked to rare. I had been musing about garlic-herb
>>> butter but opted for just a small pat of butter. Trust me, there
>>> was nothing bland about it. And it was extremely tender.
>>>
>>> Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you
>>> cook all cuts of beef?

>> Yes, I always use a bit of that.
>> Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
>> flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.
>>
>> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more
>> flavor. Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>>
>> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
>> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
>> Then press into each side, garlic powder, kosher salt and cracked
>> pepper. Sometimes another dried herb or two.
>>
>> Quickly sear on both sides then turn down the heat to finish to
>> med-rare.

> I'm going to have to try cooking a tuna steak one of these days. Don
> and I always turn them into lovely Sashimi instead.

==

Same here)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 10:06:12 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/6/2021 7:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> >> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more
> >> flavor. Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
> >>
> >> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
> >> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
> >>

> > (snippage)
> >
> > That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce". If the steaks you buy
> > already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
> > the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it. Seems like you're not
> > enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak. Especially
> > if you're talking about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I recently
> > bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.
> >
> > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?
> >
> > Jill

> For me: Salt, pepper, garlic. When off the grill at 110 deg. a pat of
> butter while resting.

Butter? on steak?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:10:44 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > (snippage)
> > >
> > > That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce". If the steaks you buy
> > > already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
> > > the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it. Seems like you're not
> > > enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak. Especially
> > > if you're talking about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I recently
> > > bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.
> > >
> > > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> > > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?
> > >
> > > Jill

> > For me: Salt, pepper, garlic. When off the grill at 110 deg. a pat of
> > butter while resting.

> Butter? on steak?

Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.

Beef loves butter.
Pork loves lard.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 May 2021 05:10:41 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>> > (snippage)
>> >
>> > That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce". If the steaks you buy
>> > already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
>> > the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it. Seems like you're not
>> > enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak. Especially
>> > if you're talking about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I recently
>> > bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.
>> >
>> > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
>> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?
>> >
>> > Jill

>> For me: Salt, pepper, garlic. When off the grill at 110 deg. a pat of
>> butter while resting.

>Butter? on steak?

Many top steak houses butter steak as it comes off the grill or they
fry steak in butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:12:49 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:10:44 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > For me: Salt, pepper, garlic. When off the grill at 110 deg. a pat of
> > > butter while resting.

> > Butter? on steak?

> Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.
>
> Beef loves butter.

I just can't imagine the combination.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 May 2021 05:52:48 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:12:49 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I don't consider ribeye a cheaper cut. Nowadays chuck is no longer
inexpensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2021 8:52 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:12:49 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Butter? on steak?

>> Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.
>>
>> Beef loves butter.

> I just can't imagine the combination.

Try it. You don't need much but it add a richness and mouthfeel. Some
use a touch of olive oil for the same reason.

https://www.heb.com/recipe/recipe-it.../1392838669491

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZHWx8ShOnY

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 7:52:52 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Butter? on steak?
> > >

> > Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.
> >
> > Beef loves butter.
> >

> I just can't imagine the combination.

It will knock your socks off if you wear them. A pat of a compound butter
on top is heavenly, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 2:52:52 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:12:49 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Butter? on steak?

> > Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.
> >
> > Beef loves butter.

> I just can't imagine the combination.

My mom used to cook meat and vegetables in butter. The dish is called "batayaki." I think it's kind of a goofy thing to do. I've never made it myself.

https://www.pikkoshouse.com/2010/11/...r-yaki-recipe/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
much flavor.

In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
dominate flavor.

BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.

These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract from
the beef flavor.

Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the delicious
cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving the shrimp only
for texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/05/2021 20:57, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 2:52:52 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:

>>> Yep. Most of the best restaurants do it.
>>>
>>> Beef loves butter.

>> I just can't imagine the combination.

> My mom used to cook meat and vegetables in butter. The dish is called "batayaki." I think it's kind of a goofy thing to do. I've never made it myself.
>
> https://www.pikkoshouse.com/2010/11/...r-yaki-recipe/

====

Saved! Thank you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
> much flavor.
>
> In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
> dominate flavor.
>
> BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.
>
> These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract from
> the beef flavor.
>
> Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
> flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the delicious
> cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving the shrimp only
> for texture.

If you don't glob it on, it enhances the taste of the shrimp rather than
overpowering it.

My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:58:57 +0100, Ophelia >
wrote:

>On 07/05/2021 20:57, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I just can't imagine the combination.

>> My mom used to cook meat and vegetables in butter. The dish is called "batayaki." I think it's kind of a goofy thing to do. I've never made it myself.
>>
>> https://www.pikkoshouse.com/2010/11/...r-yaki-recipe/

>====
>
>Saved! Thank you)

Sort of stupid to call it butter yaki when any fat will work...
coconut oil yaki sounds much better for a ukelele dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 9:23:04 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> > > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

> > Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
> > steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
> > Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
> > much flavor.
> >
> > In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
> > dominate flavor.
> >
> > BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.
> >
> > These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract from
> > the beef flavor.
> >
> > Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
> > flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the delicious
> > cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving the shrimp only
> > for texture.

> If you don't glob it on, it enhances the taste of the shrimp rather than
> overpowering it.
>
> My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
> out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
> Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.

That olive oil/fresh ground pepper marinade combo for shrimp definitely brings out original flavor. I don't know about the garlic, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
>> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

>> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
>> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
>> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
>> much flavor.
>>
>> In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
>> dominate flavor.
>>
>> BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.
>>
>> These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract from
>> the beef flavor.
>>
>> Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
>> flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the delicious
>> cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving the shrimp only
>> for texture.

>If you don't glob it on, it enhances the taste of the shrimp rather than
>overpowering it.
>
>My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
>out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
>Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish. Don't
buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard oil and
leaves an unpleasant after taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 10:27:48 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
> >> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
> >> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
> >> much flavor.
> >>
> >> In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
> >> dominate flavor.
> >>
> >> BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.
> >>
> >> These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract from
> >> the beef flavor.
> >>
> >> Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
> >> flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the delicious
> >> cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving the shrimp only
> >> for texture.

> >If you don't glob it on, it enhances the taste of the shrimp rather than
> >overpowering it.
> >
> >My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
> >out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
> >Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
> to prepare

In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it, its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-08 10:27 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
>> out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
>> Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
> to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish. Don't
> buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard oil and
> leaves an unpleasant after taste.

Really? It gets its heat from mustard?? I have had freshly grated
horseradish and it's very hot. It does not need anything to spice it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 5:55:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
> much flavor.

My POS father liked meat well done too.

> In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
> dominate flavor.

A-1 is a nice condiment for French fries instead of ketchup. I seldom
put it on steak unless I accidentally overcook the steak.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it, its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face.
Also important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:57:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-08 10:27 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
>>> out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more tart.
>>> Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
>> to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish. Don't
>> buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard oil and
>> leaves an unpleasant after taste.

>Really? It gets its heat from mustard?? I have had freshly grated
>horseradish and it's very hot. It does not need anything to spice it up.

Those at market that say "Extra Hot" contain mustard oil.
Freshly grated horseradish loses its heat quickly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-05-08 10:27 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
> > > out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and
> > > more tart. Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
> > to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish. Don't
> > buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard oil and
> > leaves an unpleasant after taste.
> >

> Really? It gets its heat from mustard?? I have had freshly grated
> horseradish and it's very hot. It does not need anything to spice it
> up.

Sheldon says it gets its heat from mustard, so it doesn't get its heat
from mustard.

--
The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> > In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up
> > with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it,
> > its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

> On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We
> do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would
> consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi
> served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi
> root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer
> the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face. Also
> important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to
> eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw
> fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.

Crappy as the died horse radish really is, I still like the taste. It's
a different heat from chillies.

--
The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2021 11:13 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 5:55:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
>>> Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

>> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very thin
>> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done." That's what
>> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough and chewy and not
>> much flavor.
>>

> My POS father liked meat well done too.
>>

> --Bryan

Thanks for sharing that. Tomorrow I'm having dinner with mom and I'll
be sure to let her know too. Looks like you inherited a couple of his
traits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joie McDonalds wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
>>> In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up
>>> with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it,
>>> its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

>> On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We
>> do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would
>> consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi
>> served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi
>> root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer
>> the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face. Also
>> important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to
>> eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw
>> fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.

> Crappy as the died horse radish really is, I still like the taste. It's
> a different heat from chillies.

Yoose ain't a purist like grayham. Maybe you are like **** poor low
down americans and can't afford real wasabi ... so you eat shit
horseradish, right master?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:58:57 +0100, Ophelia >
> wrote:

> more >>>>>>>> flavor. Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender
> enough for me.

> you buy >>>>>>> already have so much more flavor than a beef filet,
> why do you need to >>>>>>> the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it.
> Seems like you're not >>>>>>> enhancing, you're covering up the
> natural taste of the steak. Especially >>>>>>> if you're talking
> about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I recently >>>>>>> bought a nice
> bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.

> A-1 Steak >>>>>>> Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

> pat of >>>>>> butter while resting.

> >> My mom used to cook meat and vegetables in butter. The dish is

> called "batayaki." I think it's kind of a goofy thing to do. I've
> never made it myself. >> >>
> https://www.pikkoshouse.com/2010/11/...r-yaki-recipe/
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Saved! Thank you)

> Sort of stupid to call it butter yaki when any fat will work...
> coconut oil yaki sounds much better for a ukelele dish.

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> Steak >> > Sauce and the old Heinz 57?
> >> Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very

> thin >> steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done."
> That's what >> Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough
> and chewy and not >> much flavor.
> >>
> >> In those days, I loved A-1. It made those steak edible but was the
> >> dominate flavor.
> >>
> >> BTW, if anyone likes steak sauce, Lee&Perrins is a very good one.
> >>
> >> These days, I will season a steak mildy to enhance but not detract

> from >> the beef flavor.
> >>
> >> Similar to the half steamed/half boiled shrimp that I love. Mild
> >> flavoring but still plenty of shrimp taste. I quit making the

> delicious >> cocktail sauce as it becomes the dominant flavor leaving
> the shrimp only >> for texture.
> >
> > If you don't glob it on, it enhances the taste of the shrimp rather
> > than overpowering it.
> >
> > My husband makes a pretty powerful cocktail sauce, then I thin
> > out my portion with lemon juice so it's both less "clingy" and more
> > tart. Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very easy
> to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish. Don't
> buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard oil and
> leaves an unpleasant after taste.

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> > In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up
> > with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it,
> > its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

> On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We
> do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would
> consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi
> served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi
> root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer
> the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face. Also
> important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to
> eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw
> fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Joie McDonalds wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi.
> > > We do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese
> > > would consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the
> > > wasabi served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some
> > > grated wasabi root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct
> > > daikon taste. I prefer the fake stuff because it has a bigger
> > > kick to your face. Also important is Chinese hot mustard mixed
> > > with shoyu. We need this to eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in
> > > the old days, we used to eat raw fish with hot mustard and shoyu.
> > > Nobody knew about wasabi.

> > Crappy as the died horse radish really is, I still like the taste.
> > It's a different heat from chillies.
> >

> Yoose ain't a purist like grayham. Maybe you are like **** poor low
> down americans and can't afford real wasabi ... so you eat shit
> horseradish, right master?

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:57:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2021-05-08 10:27 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> more tart. >>> Then I dip just part of each shrimp in the sauce.

> >> For beef or seafood I prefer a creamy horseradish sauce... very

> easy >> to prepare one's own from sourcream and prepared horseradish.
> Don't >> buy extra hot horseradish. It gets it's heat from mustard
> oil and >> leaves an unpleasant after taste.
> >
> > Really? It gets its heat from mustard?? I have had freshly grated
> > horseradish and it's very hot. It does not need anything to spice
> > it up.

> Those at market that say "Extra Hot" contain mustard oil.
> Freshly grated horseradish loses its heat quickly.

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heywood wrote:

> On 5/8/2021 11:13 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > > Not quite. When I was young at home, my mother always bought very
> > > thin steaks (less than 1" thick) and cooked them to "well-done."
> > > That's what Dad liked and we all ate what Dad liked. It was tough
> > > and chewy and not much flavor.
> > >

> > My POS father liked meat well done too.
> > >

> > --Bryan
> >

> Thanks for sharing that. Tomorrow I'm having dinner with mom and
> I'll be sure to let her know too. Looks like you inherited a couple
> of his traits.

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> > In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up
> > with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it,
> > its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

> On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We
> do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would
> consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi
> served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi
> root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer
> the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face. Also
> important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to
> eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw
> fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.

I've had the hot mustard and shoyu mix with raw fish. Thank you for
reminding me! I actually like it a little better than Wasabi. The
shoyu mix never bothered me any but possibly yes, Folks actually in
Japan would probably find it a bit odd. They'd try it though (if only
to be polite).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:02:46 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> > > In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up
> > > with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it,
> > > its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

> > On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We
> > do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would
> > consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi
> > served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi
> > root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer
> > the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face. Also
> > important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to
> > eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw
> > fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.

> I've had the hot mustard and shoyu mix with raw fish. Thank you for
> reminding me! I actually like it a little better than Wasabi. The
> shoyu mix never bothered me any but possibly yes, Folks actually in
> Japan would probably find it a bit odd. They'd try it though (if only
> to be polite).

The locals here ate sushi for quite a while. We made homemade inari and maki sushi. That stuff was always at parties. My aunties would make it. My auntie had an okazuya and I remember her rolling the maki and stuffing the pockets of fried tofu for the workmen who bought the sushi and other items to eat for lunch.
That sushi wasn't eaten with wasabi and it never is to this day. We never even heard of wasabi until around the 80's, when fancy Japanese sushi started being served in restaurants. The fancy sushi rolls and nigiri sushi are eaten with wasabi and the locals are quite happy with the situation.