Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Planned Sunday Dinner 5/2/2021

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:53:21 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> In Hawai'i, horseradish is green and called Wasabi. You mix it up with soy sauce immediately before dipping raw fish cuts into it, its called sashimi. You can get addicted to the flavor.

On this rock, wasabi is important when eating sushi and sashimi. We do mix it with shoyu first but I suspect that the Japanese would consider this to be a rude and crude practice. Most of the wasabi served in the US is dyed horseradish. I have tried some grated wasabi root. It's somewhat milder and has a distinct daikon taste. I prefer the fake stuff because it has a bigger kick to your face.
Also important is Chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu. We need this to eat saimin and Chinese food. Back in the old days, we used to eat raw fish with hot mustard and shoyu. Nobody knew about wasabi.