Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Planned Sunday Dinner 5/2/2021

On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/4/2021 7:47 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Filet Minon. A petite/petit (don't argue language semantics) beef
>>> filet, about 2 inches thick. Quite nice!

>> OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
>> Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
>>

> It wasn't at all bland. I pretty much described how I seasoned it but
> I'll say it again. Sprinkled well with coarse salt and coarsely ground
> black pepper, well wrapped in plastic. Let it sit, in the refrigerator.
> It's best if you do this overnight. I prepped it in the early morning
> and didn't cook the steak until the evening so the results were very
> similar.
>
> I seared it quick and hot. This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
> seared and cooked to rare. I had been musing about garlic-herb butter
> but opted for just a small pat of butter. Trust me, there was nothing
> bland about it. And it was extremely tender.
>
> Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you cook
> all cuts of beef?

Yes, I always use a bit of that.
Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.

I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more flavor.
Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.

For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.
Then press into each side, garlic powder, kosher salt and cracked
pepper. Sometimes another dried herb or two.

Quickly sear on both sides then turn down the heat to finish to med-rare.