Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Planned Sunday Dinner 5/2/2021

On 5/5/2021 10:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/4/2021 8:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> OK but fairly bland. I will never buy one again.
>>> Many other cuts of beef have more flavor.
>>>

>> It wasn't at all bland.Â* I pretty much described how I seasoned it but
>> I'll say it again.Â* Sprinkled well with coarse salt and coarsely ground
>> black pepper, well wrapped in plastic.Â* Let it sit, in the refrigerator.
>> Â*It's best if you do this overnight.Â* I prepped it in the early morning
>> and didn't cook the steak until the evening so the results were very
>> similar.
>>
>> I seared it quick and hot.Â* This one was nicely marbled, beautifully
>> seared and cooked to rare.Â* I had been musing about garlic-herb butter
>> but opted for just a small pat of butter.Â* Trust me, there was nothing
>> bland about it.Â* And it was extremely tender.
>>
>> Aren't you the guy who said you use Worcestershire sauce when you cook
>> all cuts of beef?

> Yes, I always use a bit of that.
> Marinate beef or just add spice rubs always add flavor but not beef
> flavor and the filet mignon has very little of that.
>
> I just prefer the cheaper cuts of beef that start out with more flavor.
> Like ribeye or chuck. They are quite tender enough for me.
>
> For my steaks, including lamb and even tuna:
> Bring to room temperature coated in Worcestire sauce.

(snippage)

That's where you lose me: "coated in sauce". If the steaks you buy
already have so much more flavor than a beef filet, why do you need to
the Worcestershire sauce? I don't get it. Seems like you're not
enhancing, you're covering up the natural taste of the steak.
Especially if you're talking about a ribeye. I love ribeye, too. I
recently bought a nice bone-in ribeye which I plan to grill.

Am I guessing correctly if I say you also like things like A-1 Steak
Sauce and the old Heinz 57?

Jill